Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2008, 12:41 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,364,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Yeah, south of the Golden Glades. That's not in Broward is all I am saying, the person I was replying to said 95 is the worst in Broward and 595 is OK. It takes you 20 minutes to get to the Golden Glades, then 45 hour minimum to get downtown, and yes, with accidents that goes WAY up. 595 in Broward on the other can can be a real stop and go PITA without any kind of accident, average 40 minutes from Weston to Downtown Ft. Lauderdale on average compared to a 20-25 minute ride during off-peak times. That easily pushes to an hour with accidents.
OHHHH My bad. Yeah, 95 in broward isnt that bad. I take 595 in the morning every day. That ish is corney! I only drive a short distance on it but as you get passed university it gets tight. My bad, I misread your post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2008, 12:46 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
OHHHH My bad. Yeah, 95 in broward isnt that bad. I take 595 in the morning every day. That ish is corney! I only drive a short distance on it but as you get passed university it gets tight. My bad, I misread your post!
Yeah, it's usually bottlenecks and stops right around University, then it's tight until about the turnpike, then usually it's OK from there. Afternoon half the time is fine but sometimes there is a bottleneck at University, and on Fridays or unlucky days it can be slow from State Road 7 to University. On a typical morning 595 is slow all the way to Flamingo though, sometimes stop and go. If you are north of 595 and it's bad give Broward Blvd a try, it's not as good as Griffin but it beats 595 when it's bad. If you are south, Griffin is the truth!

OK, so there is the real scoop on traffic in Broward. Other than 595, there are a few bad traffic lights in Pembroke Pines at rush hour (I'm talking 3 to 4 cycles), Broward Blvd straight into downtown is kind of ridiculous at rush hour, and I have sometimes seen University Dr get kind of crappy in Plantation on the weekends. Other then that, the traffic isn't really that bad...

Oh yeah, new bottleneck to report. Some ass-hole decided it was ok to close one lane on the I-75 southbound ramp from 595 west bound until may 2009. It backs up as far as Flamingo now, although usually it's just backed up right at the ramp. If you are going to Weston, my alternate is to get off at 136th ave, hang a right at the roundabout by the high school (14th street), and that street will eventually become Indian Trace and take you to Weston Rd. IF you have to continue on 75, just get on at Royal Palm, Weston Rd is a joke traffic wise but unfortunately the light timing on it is terrible.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:03 PM

137 posts, read 425,471 times
oh come on, i have a brain. I know "rush hour" is during weekdays, not weekends. I drove to my new office purposely during rush hour during the week as well as to my sons office, just to be sure we were even wherever we settle to buy. Again, i found small backups occassionaly.

Now about the Pub in the new Pembroke shops. Its certainly tempting from the outside but whomever designed that parking needs to be crusifyed. yikes. Talk about traffic and a backup. I did make the mistake of "checking it out" (the area) right around 5 pm (happy hour???) and followed that one road in and one road out. there is individual parking in front of the shops, so everyone stops to wait for a spot and/or the whole backing out of the space is disasturous.

I believe once you become familiar with where the shop, pub or resturant is located in the strip, you can avoid that one road in and park in the back area and walk into the area.

its a really cute area, lots of upscale shops, resturants galore and the infamous pub which looks quite authentic.

Now for the poster looking for an apt with garage and allow pets...I've taken temp. quarters in aventine of miramar. It allows pets and they have garages. Its close to the florida turnpike and/or I75.

Old 09-02-2008, 03:18 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lshoupe View Post
oh come on, i have a brain. I know "rush hour" is during weekdays, not weekends. I drove to my new office purposely during rush hour during the week as well as to my sons office, just to be sure we were even wherever we settle to buy. Again, i found small backups occassionaly.

Now about the Pub in the new Pembroke shops. Its certainly tempting from the outside but whomever designed that parking needs to be crusifyed. yikes. Talk about traffic and a backup. I did make the mistake of "checking it out" (the area) right around 5 pm (happy hour???) and followed that one road in and one road out. there is individual parking in front of the shops, so everyone stops to wait for a spot and/or the whole backing out of the space is disasturous.

I believe once you become familiar with where the shop, pub or resturant is located in the strip, you can avoid that one road in and park in the back area and walk into the area.

its a really cute area, lots of upscale shops, resturants galore and the infamous pub which looks quite authentic.

Now for the poster looking for an apt with garage and allow pets...I've taken temp. quarters in aventine of miramar. It allows pets and they have garages. Its close to the florida turnpike and/or I75.
I agree the parking there is a nightmare! There is parking behind the stores, which you might have missed and is much better, but still ridiculously limited considering the stores in there!

Old 09-02-2008, 03:56 PM

61 posts, read 130,200 times
Guys, not to "Under-rate" you're traffic, but up here in the North East is the worst in the country sometimes. Friday I left Stamford CT at 12pm for Ocean city MD. Exactly 25 minutes into NY we hit the traffic for the George Washington bridge. At 12:30pm in the after noon it took us 4.5 hours to travel only 20 miles and get over the GW bridge. The GW bridge and NY traffic is a disaster. Even a normal 10 minute drive from Stamford to Norwalk CT is 1 hour during rush hour on I-95 and if you think thats bad try the LIE anytime during the day. I think I will welcome the FLL traffic if I ever get there.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Don't bother with that ridiculous access road in and out of Pembroke Gardens. Go around the back ,and make a right onto the road that goes through the industrial area. That will dump you out onto Mirimar Parkway, and easy access to 75. It's further, but much faster most of the time.

Old 09-02-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Don't bother with that ridiculous access road in and out of Pembroke Gardens. Go around the back ,and make a right onto the road that goes through the industrial area. That will dump you out onto Mirimar Parkway, and easy access to 75. It's further, but much faster most of the time.
I didn't even know that! Thanks for the tip .

Old 09-02-2008, 07:00 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
tobusy4>

Yes we are all aware that the Northeastern US has the worst traffic. I'm not doubting that. But if you've ever had to commute between Palm Beach and downtown Miami for work for any length of time, that's right up there was northeast traffic. The OP said that he wanted to live in Broward, but work in Miami-Dade. He will find out the hard way if he has to commute every single day during rush hours. You can spend 3 hours getting from downtown Miami to Pembroke Pines. If you travel between 3pm and 7pm its suicide. You'll never get there. Not a workday goes by where you can travel between Lauderdale and Miami during rush hour and drive 75mph. I don't know what that guy was talking about. The worst is the stretch of I-95 between the Golden Glades and downtown. Not only is the traffic terrible, the drivers are suicidal. And now that they put those Lexus lanes in heading northbound, that traffic is even worse unless you travel in the Lexus Lanes every day. If he chooses to live further west in Broward, he can take I-75 to the Palmetto, or the Turnpike extension. Those roads aren't as bad. But the Dolphin Expressway is terrible too.

Old 09-02-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

You'll never get there. Not a workday goes by where you can travel between Lauderdale and Miami during rush hour and drive 75mph.
Your right, before you get to the Golden Glades, 75 mph is usually too slow. You have to go that fast just to keep up until you get south of there, THEN it turns into the parking lot. Or, you can take the turnpike and get your doors blown off at 85 mph. Have to agree about the atrocious drivers though (as evidenced by dangerously high cruising speed).

Old 09-02-2008, 07:18 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
The I-95 stretch between downtown Lauderdale and Ives Dairy Rd. isn't terrible because the road is 6 lanes each direction. But once you get in between Ives Dary and the Golden Glades the lanes narrow down from 6 to 4 and it gets really clogged up. Then after the Golden Glades, the Turnpike and the Palmetto both feed onto 95 and it is a parking lot every day between 3pm and 7pm all the way down to downtown. The Turnpike is a very good alternative to 95 when traveling north/south through Broward, but once you get into Miami-Dade it takes you right back onto 95. Also, in north Broward, I-95 narrows from 6 to 4 lanes between Pompano and Boca. There isn't as much volume on that stretch, but the slightest accident will back things up for a good 30-45 minutes. Then the lanes open up to 6 again between Boca and West Palm. Whoever planned that idea was a real genius.

I had to travel from downtown Miami to west Broward one time for a dinner function. I left 2 hours to get there to account for rush hour traffic. The thing is, it took me 4 hours to get to my destination because the roads were so bad. By the time I got there, the party was over and everyone was paying their bill. I missed an entire dinner. That's an extreme example, but it happens quite often to people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area