Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 01:16 AM

434 posts, read 1,481,668 times

Advertisements

Hello I am a Florida native that currently lives, works and plays in Dallas, TX.
My heart is telling me to come back to Florida to finally set my roots but I am worried about the economy in Florida and the job market.

In Dallas schools, healthcare and cost of living make it a very comfortable and safe(economy) place to live. But it doesn't offer the other things that make SFL so unique- beaches, culture etc.

Question #1 : How is the technology sales job market in south Florida (Palmbeach, broward, miami-dade counties)?

Question #2: In Dallas its common to land a high income job in technology. Are there many opportunties in south FL?

Question #3: Whats the status of schools(I have kids) and healthcare in S. FL? good, great, bad

I have heard about real estate values but I am not worried about that as I would play it safe and rent for a while.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2008, 07:38 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Hello I am a Florida native that currently lives, works and plays in Dallas, TX.
My heart is telling me to come back to Florida to finally set my roots but I am worried about the economy in Florida and the job market.

In Dallas schools, healthcare and cost of living make it a very comfortable and safe(economy) place to live. But it doesn't offer the other things that make SFL so unique- beaches, culture etc.

Question #1 : How is the technology sales job market in south Florida (Palmbeach, broward, miami-dade counties)?

Question #2: In Dallas its common to land a high income job in technology. Are there many opportunties in south FL?

Question #3: Whats the status of schools(I have kids) and healthcare in S. FL? good, great, bad

I have heard about real estate values but I am not worried about that as I would play it safe and rent for a while.

Thanks in advance.
You're doing the opposite of what my brother in law did. He took a job at TI 3 years ago and moved the family there. Now the family is in shambles and he left TI for Qualcomm in San Diego without the family. I don't think he likes Dallas that much. He was hardly there when he lived there anyways since he had to travel all over the world constantly. Anyways, if you're good at what you do, you can always find a way back. I left South Florida 6 years ago and wanted to come back every moment I was gone. Luckily, I was able to find a job in the technology sector and come back. Good luck in your quest.

Old 09-12-2008, 12:10 AM

434 posts, read 1,481,668 times
Thank you. So the tech sector in S. FL is pretty hot right now?

Old 09-12-2008, 07:11 AM

346 posts, read 1,341,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rosscountry View Post
Thank you. So the tech sector in S. FL is pretty hot right now?
No, not really. In South Florida, the largest software company is Citrix Systems and maybe you should checkout their site to see what's available for your qualifications.

Citrix Systems » Citrix Employment Benefits

Old 09-16-2008, 01:25 PM

83 posts, read 207,040 times
I work in IT in South Florida and the filed is far from being hot. You don't mention what part of IT you work on since IT is so broad but for my field (support, networking) it is very hard to find a decent paying job. Most of the IT jobs are trough employment agencies who will boast about paying you 15 bucks an hour if you're lucky.

Old 09-16-2008, 02:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by typ8lbb View Post
I work in IT in South Florida and the filed is far from being hot. You don't mention what part of IT you work on since IT is so broad but for my field (support, networking) it is very hard to find a decent paying job. Most of the IT jobs are trough employment agencies who will boast about paying you 15 bucks an hour if you're lucky.
^^

This!

I am a network admin by the way.

peace

Old 09-17-2008, 08:14 AM

28 posts, read 210,197 times
Be very careful of the job market before you move back.....You are right about renting...that's the best way to go until you can really investigate which area would be best suited to your family needs. But #1. Be SURE you have a solid job. Once you get here...if the job goes sour you can't find another and you can't afford to get out.

Old 09-29-2008, 08:13 AM

122 posts, read 314,560 times
The market is definitely different than that of a decade ago, with the scaling back of IBM, Motorola and Siemen's presence in South Florida the landscape has definitely changed since the late 90's. As others have mentioned, recruiters have close relationships with a lot of the mid to large size clients. There are still some opportunities here but it is not the technological hub it once was in the 80's and 90's. As you travel further north in the Tri-County area, the market starts to thin out. Further north of Boca Raton and North of Palm Beach County there is little in the way of IT until you reach Melbourne and further points upward.

Old 09-29-2008, 03:26 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,964,108 times
can someone tell me what the state of the IT field is these days? i used to be a network admin in the late 90s til about 2003. I drifted away from the field as it seemed jobs were few, paying less and requiring one knew everything under the sun to qualify. as all other industries seem to be tightening up these days im just curious whether getting back into IT would be worth considering. I still see very few IT net admin jobs posted on florida job boards although so many articles say IT and Networking is one of the most in demand professions. anyone have any insight into the current state and future of IT?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:18 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
can someone tell me what the state of the IT field is these days? i used to be a network admin in the late 90s til about 2003. I drifted away from the field as it seemed jobs were few, paying less and requiring one knew everything under the sun to qualify. as all other industries seem to be tightening up these days im just curious whether getting back into IT would be worth considering. I still see very few IT net admin jobs posted on florida job boards although so many articles say IT and Networking is one of the most in demand professions. anyone have any insight into the current state and future of IT?
I have been looking for network admin jobs sense january of this year. The market is TUFF right now. Just so you know I have been doing this for the last decade so its not like I don't know what I am doing. Things are jsut tight right now. Also they want you to know not only networking anymore. They also want you to know how to program, design websites, desktop support and network administration. This is for the smaller shops. The lareer shops you can still find network admin jobs solely dedicate to network Administration but those are far and few.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area