Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 PM

10 posts, read 10,378 times

Advertisements

First off, what is this imaginary time frame that I am allowed to still be considered "entry level"? Two years? Second, after "entry level", what is the range of how much more GENERALLY SPEAKING am I SUPPOSE to make? $4K? I don't know. And finally... I work for an insurance company that promised me a 3 month review prior to hiring me. My former employer UNDERpaid me and so THIS current company took advantage of that. 5 months was about to start so I requested my review. Short version, they screwed me up. The review said that I did NOT meet their EXPECTATIONS when quite frankly NO ONE in my UNPROFESSIONAL company EVER let me know WHAT that was suppose to be! So i figured WHAT THE HELL... i have NOTHING to lose. I asked them what I had done wrong for such a horrible review and if there was anything else MORE I COULD do. They didn't fire me and gave me a project followed by ANOTHER empty promise of another 3 month review (suppose to be 6 months, but it's been more like 8 but WHO'S counting!)... they still haven't given it to me yet and quite frankly i am UNDERPAID and OVERWORKED. I'm debating on if I should just go in there and give them my letter of resignation so they can FINALLY give me my deserved RAISE... can someone relate? ENCOURAGE ME? Do something edifying for me please?

Sincerely,
Stressed, overworked AND UNDERPAID.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 09:26 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChinaChao View Post
First off, what is this imaginary time frame that I am allowed to still be considered "entry level"? Two years? Second, after "entry level", what is the range of how much more GENERALLY SPEAKING am I SUPPOSE to make? $4K? I don't know. And finally... I work for an insurance company that promised me a 3 month review prior to hiring me. My former employer UNDERpaid me and so THIS current company took advantage of that. 5 months was about to start so I requested my review. Short version, they screwed me up. The review said that I did NOT meet their EXPECTATIONS when quite frankly NO ONE in my UNPROFESSIONAL company EVER let me know WHAT that was suppose to be! So i figured WHAT THE HELL... i have NOTHING to lose. I asked them what I had done wrong for such a horrible review and if there was anything else MORE I COULD do. They didn't fire me and gave me a project followed by ANOTHER empty promise of another 3 month review (suppose to be 6 months, but it's been more like 8 but WHO'S counting!)... they still haven't given it to me yet and quite frankly i am UNDERPAID and OVERWORKED. I'm debating on if I should just go in there and give them my letter of resignation so they can FINALLY give me my deserved RAISE... can someone relate? ENCOURAGE ME? Do something edifying for me please?

Sincerely,
Stressed, overworked AND UNDERPAID.
This is Florida, a resignation letter won't do a thing, they will tell you to leave and have 500 other people ready to replace you and work for cheaper.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
This is Florida, a resignation letter won't do a thing, they will tell you to leave and have 500 other people ready to replace you and work for cheaper.
cheaper? I dont think they could possibly get any cheaper unless they start hiring 16 yr olds but thanks for the honesty. So should I try another STATE perhaps? I'm all for it. I hate Florida anyways.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:34 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,561,897 times
Quote:
cheaper? I dont think they could possibly get any cheaper unless they start hiring 16 yr olds but thanks for the honesty. So should I try another STATE perhaps? I'm all for it. I hate Florida anyways.
You would be amazed what people are willing to work for in Florida. Try a city that has positive job growth. Try Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, or Raleigh.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DailyJournalist View Post
You would be amazed what people are willing to work for in Florida. Try a city that has positive job growth. Try Dallas, Houston, Charlotte, or Raleigh.
Ha i believe you. HOW the FREAK do they make it here with SUCH little pay? It's not exactly CHEAP or "The Happiest place to be". I hate it here. Lived here all my life. I think I shall for real. Thanks for reminding me of how much I WANT to move! LOL

Old 09-13-2008, 07:02 AM

159 posts, read 456,253 times
Try Atlanta.

Old 09-13-2008, 08:12 PM

392 posts, read 1,261,334 times
Quote:
Ha i believe you. HOW the FREAK do they make it here with SUCH little pay? It's not exactly CHEAP or "The Happiest place to be". I hate it here. Lived here all my life. I think I shall for real. Thanks for reminding me of how much I WANT to move! LOL
Your bags packed yet ?

Old 09-17-2008, 08:36 AM

28 posts, read 210,247 times
I am in insurance...20+ years experience. Certifications, MBA...etc, etc, etc. Moved here and haven't found a job in 14 months of searching. I can't even get hired at Target, Publix, Toys-R-Us, Olive Garden. If you HAVE a job in insurance....you are one of the Lucky Few! Best places for insurance jobs: Texas, Iowa, Atlanta, NY! Try CE Insurance Services. Most of their FL jobs are on the Tampa side though.

Old 09-17-2008, 08:40 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,901,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawlady View Post
Best places for insurance jobs: Texas, Iowa, Atlanta, NY!
Other parts of FL are still pretty solid...west central FL (like Pasco County up), Jacksonville area still aren't bad. Arizona is still pretty good too, and the Carolinas are growing. But it's getting really tight here...

Old 09-17-2008, 09:08 AM

1,437 posts, read 3,775,944 times
I understand your pain. I grew up in FL and finally left in 2006 in order to make a living wage. Florida is the land of the lowest-paying and most unprofessional jobs around. People will work for anything down there and employers know it, so the work world in the Sunshine State is one big cattle call.

To be fair, the corporate world is crap throughout the US, it's all a lot of BS, but at least in other states you can make real money, and the employers are more professional for the most part.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: