U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 04:26 PM

5 posts, read 9,468 times

Advertisements

I'm 20 yrs old and I currently live in VA, and I HATE it here. I was raised here and I know everything it has/doesn't have to offer, so don't bother telling me to give it a chance. I just want to know from anyone who has lived in both places, what's it like living in south florida as someone my age. I've visited Florida many times and Miami and Ft. Lauderdale are my favorite. I know living there will be different from visiting, but I love it there. Any opinions, advice?

To offer additional info, next year I will be a certified medical assistant, so I don't think I'll have too much trouble finding a job. I am also taking a class learning spanish for health care professions.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2008, 10:49 PM

2,962 posts, read 12,869,348 times
I moved down here from Northern Va years ago. I am still here. Nurses and health care personnel are in big demand but you may have some problems finding a job because of all the medical assistants already here who can't find jobs because the field is loaded with them. Check it out though. If you have beeN here and know that you love it - well that's seals it now all you have to do is find a job.

Old 10-13-2008, 03:51 PM

Damn 80 views and only one comment?? There has to be someone else who read my thread who has lived in both place, come one ppl.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM

187 posts, read 591,614 times
Love Ft. Lauderdale but the economy right now is not so good there. Very high rate of foreclosure in south Florida right now so if you are looking to buy a place, this is the time to go. I would just recommend you sealing a job before heading down. Have fun!

Old 10-13-2008, 07:47 PM

727 posts, read 1,750,274 times
Most people move from S FL TO VA, not the other way around, so that may be why you are not getting too many comments.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:31 AM

439 posts, read 1,666,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
Most people move from S FL TO VA, not the other way around, so that may be why you are not getting too many comments.
My thoughts exactly. This was a move that I wanted to make back in 2006/07, but that didn't happen. Now we have NC on our radar screen. We'll make it there...someday.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:47 PM

245 posts, read 1,130,097 times
i'm from dc/md/va area and i'm telling you now..it is not easy..visiting is one thing but living here is another, the economy down here is real bad, everything is expensive especially the food, people down here don't know how to drive, you might not like the people down here because they are real shady and most of them can't be trusted, you got to always watch your back, seriously. The weather down here is a little better especially if you like blazing hot humidity all year around, of course there are no seasons down here, so christmas will never be the same, florida is flat and swampy, lots of alligators, lots of big fat madagascar-like cockaroaches especially when it rains and there is NOTHING you can do about it, i suggest you get a high paying job in order to survive down here and live decently and comfortly and make sure to have a job line up, oh and BTW-MA's barely make enough to survive down here, so good luck with that one, oh and the party scene down here is overrated. Good luck, but i know you won't last for long down here...VA AND SOUTH FLORIDA ARE TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS..the spanish people here and up north are totally different..you'll see...come on down and stay in touch with the forum.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
i'm from dc/md/va area and i'm telling you now..it is not easy..visiting is one thing but living here is another, the economy down here is real bad, everything is expensive especially the food, people down here don't know how to drive, you might not like the people down here because they are real shady and most of them can't be trusted, you got to always watch your back, seriously. The weather down here is a little better especially if you like blazing hot humidity all year around, of course there are no seasons down here, so christmas will never be the same, florida is flat and swampy, lots of alligators, lots of big fat madagascar-like cockaroaches especially when it rains and there is NOTHING you can do about it, i suggest you get a high paying job in order to survive down here and live decently and comfortly and make sure to have a job line up, oh and BTW-MA's barely make enough to survive down here, so good luck with that one, oh and the party scene down here is overrated. Good luck, but i know you won't last for long down here...VA AND SOUTH FLORIDA ARE TWO DIFFERENT WORLDS..the spanish people here and up north are totally different..you'll see...come on down and stay in touch with the forum.
I really don't think it's as bad a place as you make it out to be. I don't know how old you are, or what your obligations are, but Im 20 with no kids. And the MA thing would be temporary. I plan on going to FIU and staying on campus, so having a place to stay is already a load off my shoulders. I think I will do just fine. And I LOVE warm weather. And if I absolutely need to have the balance of changing seasons, I'm originally from NY so I have a place to go. I appreciate your opinion though.

Old 10-15-2008, 06:53 PM

326 posts, read 1,385,900 times
Lived in Ft Lauderdale for 12 years and moved to CT one year ago (I suppose CT is different from VA but compared to So FL...) At your age, I have no doubt: I would move to Fort Lauderdale or South Beach or Hollywood or anywhere on the coast as far as Boca (excluded, it is a little dormant compared to the southern cousins.) Get some life while the hardest decision you have to make is whether you want to spend your Sunday sun bathing or surfing or scuba diving. Responsibilities for others but yourself may come soon enough (or not, your choice), and at that time the northern states may be a better choice. For now, stay south of the 30th parallel.

By the way, I regret having moved, although the business opportunity that brought us here is still holding very well. I know CT is a better place to raise a family, but families have also a big influence on how their children grow up, the biggest influence, in fact. And my children miss growing up without shoes for a large part of the day, no coats, nakedness, splashing in the water every time you just want to do it, and a huge amount of sun and light. They are happy here, at least the older one, but life was pretty easy in Florida as well, so today I do not have any longer those strong reasons I used to have about living in the northeast. And I know that, as soon as my children are on their own, I want to go back to south of the 30th parallel as well.

Old 10-16-2008, 08:57 AM

245 posts, read 1,130,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroubleandSome View Post
I really don't think it's as bad a place as you make it out to be. I don't know how old you are, or what your obligations are, but Im 20 with no kids. And the MA thing would be temporary. I plan on going to FIU and staying on campus, so having a place to stay is already a load off my shoulders. I think I will do just fine. And I LOVE warm weather. And if I absolutely need to have the balance of changing seasons, I'm originally from NY so I have a place to go. I appreciate your opinion though.
Miami is not a utopia, yeah the weather is nice and they have beaches here, but so what, it gets old after a while, just be safe while you party all night long everyday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>