Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-06-2018, 06:59 AM

2,102 posts, read 1,003,483 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
https://www.ganggreennation.com/2014...-bachelors-iii

It's unclear how much Namath was actually involved in the Ft. Lauderdale location, though.
Bachelors III (1745 E Sunrise Blvd) was a moderate sized night club, seating around 300 people, located about a mile west of the Atlantic Ocean on US1/Federal Hwy. The owners, the three bachelors, were Bobby Van, a singer, Joe Namath (quarterback for the New York Jets, who led the heavy underdog American Football League (AFL) champion Jets to a World Championship (the first Super Bowl victory for the AFL) over the National Football League (NFL) champion Baltimore Colts by a score of 16–7 in Super Bowl III on January 12, 1969), and Ray Abbruzzese, a teammate of Namath’s.

The bar opened in Spring 1969, and was extremely popular. It was one of the first dating bars for single people (read pick-up joint / meat market) in the entire United States. Other locations were planned, such as Boston, Miami, and New Orleans. Jerry Lee Lewis played there so much in the early 70s, he was like the house band. I remember also seeing Ray Charles and Frankie Valli up on the marquee.

But after a while, due to the ‘questionable clientele’ (because where there is wine, women, and song, along with movie stars, pop singers, and celebrity athletes, the mafia will usually show up) Pete Rozelle, then Commissioner of the NFL, issued Namath an ultimatum: divest his interest in the club, or face suspension. He warned Namath of the clause in his contract which ‘prohibited players from entering drinking or gambling establishments’ or ‘associating with notorious persons’. So less than six months after winning the Super Bowl and being named the game's Most Valuable Player, on June 6, 1969, in a tearful press conference, Joe Namath declared "I'm not selling - I quit!", and announced his retirement. But just one month later Namath, realizing he had acted rashly and had thrown away his career, met with Rozelle, on July 18 in the Commissioner’s plush 12th floor Park Avenue office, and came to an agreement. Namath sold his interest in the bar, and was allowed to join the team at training camp. So, after a month long saga, Namath's retirement was over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2018, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
Check out my post above. It was Pierce Street Annex. By the way, it burned down around 1992 or '93 and was never rebuilt.
On October 17, 1992 more than 40 firefighters responded to a three-alarm fire, and fought the blaze for two hours, using two ladder trucks and six engines to douse flames that shot 30 feet above the roof. Fort Lauderdale Battalion Chief Stephen McInerny initially called the fire suspicious as investigators reported finding traces of hydrocarbons, chemicals that include gasoline and other flammable liquids. However the cause of the fire was ultimately determined to be electrical in nature, starting in the attic of the building. Damage was estimated at around $1.3 million. The location is now an Edwin Watts Golf store.

Old 09-06-2018, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papillons2 View Post
This thread has been around so long I don't remember for sure, but I think I brought up the Stained Glass Pub, too. It had good food and friendly people. Also liked the nearby Pierce Street Annex when I was single (always used to amuse me that Pierce Street was right across Federal Highway from one of the most conservative megachurches in the country).
The SGP was small and quiet, OK for date night, but I really liked PSA. Pierce Street Annex (5600 N Federal Hwy) always advertised itself as a singles bar, and was known for its many bar gimmicks, including one of the first bars with satellite TVs showing sports games, an outdoor pool, backgammon tables, barbecue parties, and Starmaker Night, an amateur hour with free airline tickets as prizes. Also had Lock and Key games where guys would get a key and girls would get a lock, and you'd walk up to all the girls to see if your key fit her lock. A great way to meet girls! I also used to meet a group that played water volleyball in the pool.

Throughout the late 1970s and 1980s, the bar was an after-game hangout for the Fort Lauderdale Strikers soccer team and their fans dressed in their red and yellow bumblebee shirts. I remember seeing Jan Van Beveren, the goalie, who was always friendly to the fans.

Sadly, the PSA burned down in October 1992, and is now an Edwin Watts Golf store.

Old 09-06-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
I've been watching the Miami Vice series on Netflix (I've got a thread about it over in the Miami forum) and it was a real blast to see the Phil the Shill episode from Season 2, featuring Phil Collins in the title role. They shot a few scenes at the Galleria Mall on Sunrise. I was there when they shot it, watching from a distance with a bunch of other onlookers.
Check out another Miami Vice episode shot in Ft Lauderdale: 'Calderone's Return: Part 1 - The Hit List' (Season 1, Episode 4). Several key scenes were shot at Nepenthe (3937 N. Federal Highway), an Egyptian-themed night club featuring a sunken stainless steel dance floor and a Richard Long sound/light system (the guy who put in the system at the Paradise Garage in NYC). Beautiful waitresses dressed up as sexy Cleopatras served a drink called Nepenthe Potion which arrived 'smoking' on dry ice. There was also the Pharaoh VIP Room. Cool club and very close to my house, but the crowd was way too young. It eventually turned it into a non-alcohol teenage club open only on weekends.

Trivia: Nepenthe was built on the former site of the infamous Porky's Hideaway, the real-life bar and inspiration for the 1982 movie "Porkys".

Old 09-06-2018, 10:41 AM

2,529 posts, read 1,861,127 times
Pretty certain Ft. Lauderdale was a wild place in the 80s.

Old 09-06-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missing the 80s View Post
Does anyone remember Mr. Pips?
I do. It was one of the many, many clubs within a mile from my house.

Mr. Pip’s (3485 N Federal Highway) was originally Jimmy`s House of Prime Ribs, known for its food and entertainment. Frank Sinatra Jr. was one of the entertainers that performed there.

Later, during the Disco Days, it became Mr. Pip's, owned by singer Bobby Van, who used his proceeds from selling Bachelor’s III after Joe Namath pulled out. The location took advantage of Oakland Park’s 4am closing (compared to Ft Laud 2am), and had five rooms: a main disco room, a saloon, a backgammon room (then the ‘in’ game in the US), a VIP room, and a 'Candy Store'. Live entertainment was in the main room and Candy Store. Food was available in all rooms. Music in the VIP room was deliberately low-key, geared for intimacy and relaxation. Some early performers were The Temptations and Blood, Sweat and Tears. Tavares, The Pointer Sisters, and Al Green played there in the late 1970s, early 1980s. Jaco Pastorius' album celebrating his 30th birthday, ‘The Birthday Concert’ was recorded Live at Mr. Pip's on December 1, 1981.

But it had a difficult time making ends meet when the City of Oakland Park rescinded their 4am closing law. And then owner Bobby Van died on July 31, 1980, aged 51, of a brain tumor. Soon thereafter, it disappeared.

Currently (Sep 2018) - Kyojin Buffet Restaurant.

Old 09-06-2018, 12:35 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumann Koch View Post
I do. It was one of the many, many clubs within a mile from my house.

Mr. Pip’s (3485 N Federal Highway) was originally Jimmy`s House of Prime Ribs, known for its food and entertainment. Frank Sinatra Jr. was one of the entertainers that performed there.

Later, during the Disco Days, it became Mr. Pip's, owned by singer Bobby Van, who used his proceeds from selling Bachelor’s III after Joe Namath pulled out. The location took advantage of Oakland Park’s 4am closing (compared to Ft Laud 2am), and had five rooms: a main disco room, a saloon, a backgammon room (then the ‘in’ game in the US), a VIP room, and a 'Candy Store'. Live entertainment was in the main room and Candy Store. Food was available in all rooms. Music in the VIP room was deliberately low-key, geared for intimacy and relaxation. Some early performers were The Temptations and Blood, Sweat and Tears. Tavares, The Pointer Sisters, and Al Green played there in the late 1970s, early 1980s. Jaco Pastorius' album celebrating his 30th birthday, ‘The Birthday Concert’ was recorded Live at Mr. Pip's on December 1, 1981.

But it had a difficult time making ends meet when the City of Oakland Park rescinded their 4am closing law. And then owner Bobby Van died on July 31, 1980, aged 51, of a brain tumor. Soon thereafter, it disappeared.

Currently (Sep 2018) - Kyojin Buffet Restaurant.
Kyojin got renamed a few years ago, the new name is Nabu American Fusion Buffet

Old 09-06-2018, 12:36 PM

4,346 posts, read 7,825,336 times
Wow, interesting stories. Fort Lauderdale is sort of boring today, compared to all those years.

Old 09-06-2018, 02:25 PM

Sad news that Burt Reynolds died today at age 82.

Burt Reynolds was the biggest box office star in the world in the Seventies, but never took himself seriously. He always looked like he was genuinely having a great time on screen with the other actors, many of whom were his real-life friends, and provided great entertainment. Back in the 80s I met him at a casting for the movie 'Stick' at Shooters here in Ft Lauderdale, and he was very nice to everyone, giving no airs. When he wasn't making films he was making made a great impact here in Florida, opening a theater training institute, and also owned Burt & Jacks restaurant in Port Everglades for years until it was closed due to port security after 9/11. He has lived here in Florida his entire adult life, and I have never read anything bad about him. Eventually he was driven to financial ruin due to two horrible divorces. RIP Burt, and thanks for all the laughs!

That's a big Ten Four Bandit, Over and Out

Old 09-06-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruski View Post
Kyojin got renamed a few years ago, the new name is Nabu American Fusion Buffet
You are correct - Google Earth still has the old name.

I don't eat at buffets anymore - much harder to lose weight these days!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area