Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2008, 02:13 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Why is this even an issue? The overwhelming majority of Hispanic people in Broward's affluent suburban communities DO speak English. It's not like wealthy Venezuelans come to Weston, refuse to speak English, and their "lower class" Anglo and black housekeepers have to learn Spanish just to communicate with them. The reverse may be true when speaking of well-off Americans who retire in Mexico, but this scenario doesn't really seem to have much truth in South Florida.

I actually in my initial post noted that it may be that Hispanics may speak english only when needed to speak to the "help". That would be because the help doesn't speak spanish; similarly, many Americans only learn enough spanish in Mexico in order to speak to their help. It may be that the native speakers in both places have to learn the language of the wealthier emigres in order to be more successful than their linguistically challenged fellow countrymen.

Regarding the teenagers you hear at the movie theaters - many of them were born in this country, identify as Americans and so would not fall in this category.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 PM

727 posts, read 1,836,764 times
I dont see your post as snobby. I know if you are into culinary, artsy foofoo stuff is much more prevelant there than in CLT. I did however read that tons and tons of NY'ers are moving to CLT (for many reasons), perhaps they could learn to appreciate the artsy stuff a little more too? I keep on hearing they are moving there and then bickering. It really annoys the folks there, and I hope it doesnt turn into another S FL there too, but I hear that it is.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:15 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,670,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
I even capitalized the "H" in Hispanic so crispy isn't offended...
You don't need to sugarcoat things for me. In fact, it's not like you did me a special favor by capitalizing that "H" because as you should know by reading prior posts of mine on this forum, descriptor words having to do with geography, religion, or culture are ALWAYS capitalized (ie: Asian, Catholic, Hispanic, Anglo), unlike words having to do with color, which are NOT capitalized (white, black).

Old 10-19-2008, 02:16 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
Quote:
^^Big mean bear, the point is that in South Florida, the argument that "more Hispanics = more third world element" is completely and utter crap. I have "seen" and "felt" these areas in discussion and some of them feel LESS "third world" in 2008 than they did in 1998.
I will agree with you on that initial claim, but compelled has to explain his point further. What is he trying to prove by comparing white poverty to Hispanic poverty in Holly-hood and Pembroke Pines? My point was that accurate statistics on Hispanic poverty are nonexistent. The reason for this is the sheer number of Hispanics who are illegal, or illegals who are Hispanic...

Last edited by big mean bear; 10-19-2008 at 02:23 PM.. Reason: forgot to capitalize "H" in Hispanic

Old 10-19-2008, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Regarding the teenagers you hear at the movie theaters - many of them were born in this country, identify as Americans and so would not fall in this category.
I'm glad you recognize this. I have pointed this out in several prior posts of mine because some people on this forum have the idea that Hispanic automatically equals "different" and "non-American." Pretty much every single Hispanic person with whom I grew up prefers English over Spanish... it's only natural; we grew up in the United States.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:20 PM

I think Compelled likes to debunk a lot of myths about the who/what/when/where/why that is going on in S FL, and debunk the negativity, which is fine. But rather than reading stats on line, I like to hear from the people that have moved away, due to the who, what, when, where, and why. I will take the people's opinion and thoughts over internet stats on C-D. I am not saying Compelled is wrong, I am just saying when throwing out internet stats regarding crime in Broward Co, I would rather talk to the people about why they left S FL over internet stats and comparisons.

Compelled is a cool cat, I dont always agree with him but I think he's smart and puts a lot of thought into his posts.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mean bear View Post
I will agree with you on that initial claim, but compelled has to explain his point further. What is he trying to prove by comparing white poverty to hispanic poverty in Holly-hood and Pembroke Pines? My point was that accurate statistics on Hispanic poverty are nonexistent. The reason for this is the sheer number of Hispanics who are illegal, or illegals who are Hispanic...
What is YOUR point, exactly? Where are your alternate statistics that dispute those that compelled posted? Let's be real here, there is NOT a huge illegal immigrant population in Pembroke Pines. People living clandestine lives in the margins of society don't buy Lexus SUV's and $500,000 homes in luxury gated communities.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornInFL View Post
I think Compelled likes to debunk a lot of myths about the who/what/when/where/why that is going on in S FL, and debunk the negativity, which is fine. But rather than reading stats on line, I like to hear from the people that have moved away, due to the who, what, when, where, and why. I will take the people's opinion and thoughts over internet stats on C-D. I am not saying Compelled is wrong, I am just saying when throwing out internet stats regarding crime in Broward Co, I would rather talk to the people about why they left S FL over internet stats and comparisons.
I trust the statistics more than the exaggerations and misconceptions that come out of people's mouths. If you actually believed the half of what people said on this website, you'd be convinced that Kendall is a dangerous ghetto, that Pompano Beach has turned 100% black, and that there are no straight people left in Fort Lauderdale. I trust the census more than what (to use a Sarah Palin reference, lol) "Joe Six-pack" claims South Florida is like.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:27 PM

1,372 posts, read 3,764,702 times
Quote:
Let's be real here, there is NOT a huge illegal immigrant population in Pembroke Pines.
Neither is there a large percentage of people living in poverty in Pembroke Pines. There are always people who live in the margins of our fabulous lives, and these people (however few) might have a big impact on poverty rates if they are uncounted. So, even though the illegal population of Pembroke Pines is probably negligable, given the small number of people in poverty there, these few uncounted people living in poverty might have a drastic effect on the poverty rate.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:30 PM

"People living clandestine lives in the margins of society don't buy Lexus SUV's and $500,000 homes in luxury gated communities."

Yup, I see them too, and I see them foreclosing on their homes too. Just because they have it doesnt mean they can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area