U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 2,727 times

Advertisements

There was a large number of people from South Florida who moved to Atlanta in the past two years or so. Just wondering, did anyone moved back for any reasons, I am living in Fort Lauderdale, visited Atlanta a couple times, loves it but still not sure about making the move, can anyone supply the pros and cons - I am trying to compare both cities.
Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM

2,517 posts, read 10,464,093 times
I had a fellow employee that was about to move to a suburb in Atlanta. His wife moved there with the kids. He was still stuck in south florida since he couldn't sell his house. To make a long story short, he was never able to sell his house in Coral Springs. He told me his wife was not happy up in Georgia and did not want to live up there even though they had planned this and were excited about it for many years. He is black and she is white. They are now together back in South Florida living in the house they could never sell....but happy, since she did not like Georgia.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:19 PM

13,861 posts, read 23,525,693 times
We moved from Broward to Atlanta three years ago. I think eventually we will find our way back to FL, although not as far south as we were. We miss the beach and the warmth in the winter. On the other hand, financially the move was good for us, and our kids like it much better in GA.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:00 PM

710 posts, read 2,099,492 times
We did the "loop" after college.
Atlanta is nice -- I really see how some people really like it. It has a nice "scale" to it and the cool vs cost factor is good.

However, WE found it a bit flat after 5 years and just not worth being away from family and away from the ocean.
We had quite a few friends there, most from different parts of the south, that moved on to other places at some point - NYC was popular for a while. Some found it too much and moved back, others never looked back.
At this point we still have 2 very, very good friends there, and we can't wait to visit them.

SoFla (Miami specifically) suits US much better though.

Old 11-15-2008, 12:04 AM

2,685 posts, read 5,931,485 times
How much time do you have?

I know quite a bit of people that moved up there, that either returned or want to return. Some for the dumbest reasons, while others are valid imho (leaving and wanting to return). Not trying to sound heartless, but some reasons for the moves and returns were absurd. That's why I recommend people visit, visit, visit. I can't stress it enough. Visit during different times of the year, get around, network, and give it a try. Ask questions, get information all over, all the time.
It really boils down to a few things, one which is employment/finances, then you have friends/family atmosphere.
I've heard of factors such as weather. I know some that returned because it was cold... They only visited during the summer, never tried going during the winter. Some went without any employment, and came back or did not find a job in their fields.
Some went because they thought it would be a Mecca for blacks...They thought that success was going to land on their laps without hardwork. They thought things would be easier because they saw and heard of black success stories and thought that would come easy for them. I kid you not. (Dont get offended, I'm a mutt like our President, )

Some went to buy their dream homes (McMansions). Some are still there complaining about having a light bill and a gas/heating bill, and want out just because of that (Big House, big bills at times, right?). Some bought in areas that they regret because they failed to do research. I have a colleague that bought in Clayton, and is pulling her hair because she did no research, and bought blindly. The house looks good, but the area is disappointing to her (especially with the school system). I've heard it all. Some complained that it was not like South Florida...What were they thinking? (Whoever said it was like South Florida to begin with? )

A friend complained recently that there is not enough Latino representation, like South Florida. She does not see affluent hispanics like she did in South Florida. Her words, not mine, I kid you not. People will always find reasons, or excuses to abandon where ever it is they dont want to be in. And there are others who have valid reasons, some as simple as not liking it there. Make sure you find work, you have some sort of network (Friends & Family), are financially ok (I know, times are tough all over), and try to make the best of it. I am making my move in 2009, hopefully. All I can say is plan, prepare, plan, improvise and deal with it, if you like it enough or abandon like others if your reasons will resemble theirs. Make sure you find work, and give it your best. Hope it works out for you.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 AM

39 posts, read 110,398 times
I know some who moved, but work was not there or they missed FL so much, they came back. If your used to the lifestyle here in SoFla and your ready to kickback and give it a up for a quieter life, then ATL may be for you. Just get ready for the slower lifestyle and traffic depending on where you work. Also get ready for the cold/icy weather.

I was dating wife when I was visiting ATL. I had been there many times before. I thought of moving there a few years back, but over time, we really couldn't see ourselves there once we started to go out and do certain things. Also growing up in warm weather and going to cold weather usally doesn't work well.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:08 PM

I have to disagree with you on one thing. I think it's the other way around. Florida is slower than Atlanta. No city in South Florida resembles a major metropolis. Nothing but Suburbs and beach down here. If you mention South Beach night life, maybe it holds a candle as to the time it shuts down, and level of activity, but aside from that, Florida as a whole is Dead. Mind you, Im from NYC, so this (Florida) is slow for me.

Old 11-24-2008, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I have to disagree with you on one thing. I think it's the other way around. Florida is slower than Atlanta. No city in South Florida resembles a major metropolis. Nothing but Suburbs and beach down here. If you mention South Beach night life, maybe it holds a candle as to the time it shuts down, and level of activity, but aside from that, Florida as a whole is Dead. Mind you, Im from NYC, so this (Florida) is slow for me.
You have got to be kidding! If you think South Beach is just Florida, then you haven't been around So Fla. As for ATL, thats it, no other part of GA is fast paced. And even at that, I have never seen people go straight home after New Years countdown. No bars open, no clubs, strictly private house parties. Sunday is lock down in ATL. Also, your claiming FL to ATL. A state to a city. I don't think your comparing an apple to an apple here. I personally know people in ATL that have lived here and there no comparing both personally and by others.

Old 11-24-2008, 10:28 PM

I live down here. Aside from South Beach, and Las Olas area, what other areas can claim to have some sort of nightlife? There are pockets here and there that have something going on, but let's be real, what life does Florida have? We need to establish what you call live and what I call live. I live down here (been here for 8 years), from NYC originally. I dont see what you mention. Please enlighten me. I lived in Orlando as well. That's a dead spot. Aside from a few attractions, and a few night clubs (that close at 2am), there is not much. Tried going to Downtown Miami? Aside from a few clubs, and the stalking crackheads, what else is there? Ok, Coconut Grove? What else?
Not to downplay South Florida, but please show me what I'm missing. And not to sound arrogant, but South Florida nightlife would have to try harder to impress. Aside from the few places that I mentioned, where else am I missing? Mind you, I did say there are pockets that have their semi-livelihood, but that's it.
This place is no more than a big suburb, surrounded by malls, then beaches on one end, swamps on the other. I live in West PPines, and most suburbs West of I-75 dont look much different. I'm not being condescending, I'm just stating the facts.

Let me be fair, let's compare Atlanta to Miami, or Ft Lauderdale to compare apples to apples. I want to hear your points. This is not an argument, but somewhat of an enlightment on both ends. Your turn.

Old 11-24-2008, 11:36 PM

Really, what the heck does ATL have? You tell me. You're living here, but yet seem to like ATL and NYC better, so tell me why you live here, is it that bad? ATL nightlife sucks, everything closes early, the bars cut off selling alcohol on Sat nights, you have go to a restaurant to drink on Sundays. No bars are allowed to open on Sunday, so kiss sportsbar goodbye. There isn't any real authentic restaurants, everything there is some kind of theme style restuarant and if your from NYC and have been to ATL, you should know that italian restaurants suck in ATL. Also, most professionals that live there aren't from ATL but from other cities. They have what 5 points and Buckhead. Other than that what else is there? Here theres Las Olas/Riverfront, Beachplace, South Beach, Downtown Miami/Brickell, Kendall, Sunset Place, Hard Rock Hollywood, Downtown Hollywood, Coconut Grove, etc. As for beaches, we have them. Boating & watersports year round, deep sea fishing, etc. They have a dried up lake right now. We can go to Bahamas on the drop of a dime, they have country side areas to drive to in all areas. We can also visit the Keys and stay in the underwater hotel or go down during Fantasy Fest and we have Spring Break. If you like strip bars, we have them here too. They have cold/icy weather, we don't. We have hurricanes that we know are coming, they have tornadoes that come with little notice. We have 2-3 ariports to travel out of, they have 1. Now, tell me what your ATL lifestyle is like? Go to work in heavy traffic coming down off the 400 to the 75/85 everyday and back?

Also, if you live in Pembroke Pines, you live in one of the largest suburbs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area