Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2008, 01:59 AM

16,258 posts, read 43,185,236 times

Advertisements

I'd say one of South Florida's ENDURING traits is the beach. I drove around everywhere through Miami, and while a lot of it did just look very endlessly suburban chains and cookie-cutter stuff everywhere, at least they had beaches!

However, I am concerned...people who move to Miami...how often do you really go to the beach? I've heard that is what draws many to Miami (or Florida in general), but once in Florida, they seldom if ever take advantage of it.

How true is that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2008, 05:18 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,370,428 times
Default Beach Almost Every Weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'd say one of South Florida's ENDURING traits is the beach. I drove around everywhere through Miami, and while a lot of it did just look very endlessly suburban chains and cookie-cutter stuff everywhere, at least they had beaches!

However, I am concerned...people who move to Miami...how often do you really go to the beach? I've heard that is what draws many to Miami (or Florida in general), but once in Florida, they seldom if ever take advantage of it.

How true is that?
When my dh and I lived in Mia/FTL (5 years ago) we went to the beach almost every weekend. We tried different ones and enjoyed them all. We always took beach chairs and umbrellas and a small cooler. It was great. Even if it was raining at home (15 mi. inland) by the time we got to the beach it was clear. So relaxing, and after about March, the water is fantastic. Never got in the water in Dec., Jan., or Feb. but enjoyed the rest of the year. Just be sure to check the lifeguard station for warning flags. One time I didn't check and got caught in a riptide.

Old 11-23-2008, 04:45 PM

93 posts, read 273,552 times
Default As often as you want

It may seem to be a very simple reply but it is the truth. I probably go about 2 or 3 times a month in the summer and about once a month in the winter. Additionally, when it is really cold (cold for us starts at anyting below 65 farenheit) I will go every night if I can. Have fun, take advantage, it is worht the effort.

Old 11-23-2008, 05:54 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
last time i went to the beach was 2001 or 2002 forget which.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:14 AM

326 posts, read 1,452,949 times
Having a pool at home, we used to go to the beach about twice a month on average, more in the winter than in the summer. Rarely we used to go during the day, only about 4 or 5 times a year. More often we used to go in the evening: a restaurant on the beach with friends, the kids only having to cross the boardwalk in Hollywood to play on the beach before and after dinner. Over the years (we lived there for 12 years) we started to enjoy the beach more. We found that the beach does not have to be only about sand and heat during the day. When your craving for coolness and play can be met by the pool in your backyard, then the beach becomes a relaxing place to go to when the heat is gone, in the evening. You just have to go earlier in the winter to take advantage of the light.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,112 times
Only when relatives visit - so two or three times per year. And we live one block away from the beach!

Even though we don't go very often, I still could not imagine living in a place that's not near the ocean.

Old 11-25-2008, 08:34 PM

39 posts, read 121,432 times
Funny how close the beach is here and a lot don't go very often. I guess most take it for granted now a days. Since it ain't going anywhere, we pay it no mind, LOL!

Old 11-25-2008, 10:28 PM

2,143 posts, read 8,031,415 times
I can honestly say I've been two times in 20 years.

Old 11-26-2008, 06:29 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
I took advantage of the Hollywood dog beach a lot last year, but haven't investigated to see if it's still there - it was set for a trial period to expire last April. That being said, this was the first summer we didn't make evening trips for walks on the beach - we'll have to correct that next year.

Old 11-26-2008, 07:56 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezveedub View Post
Funny how close the beach is here and a lot don't go very often. I guess most take it for granted now a days. Since it ain't going anywhere, we pay it no mind, LOL!
some people just aren't interested in the beach. I for one could care less about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
View detailed profiles of: