Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:44 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,837,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
runwithscissors>

First, where did I say the cops are responsible for crime? I never said that so you are just making things up to bash me on. You made up a lot of other assumptions while bashing me too. Why don't you keep your right-wing, bigoted, anti-immigration opinions to yourself and quit bashing anyone's post who disagrees with you. If FL is such an immigrant state, you apparently cannot stand it so why don't you move? Every one of your sentences is followed by a LOL. Apparently you think everything is a big joke. Your posts are becoming a joke because you view everything through a right-left political prism.

You don't even know what dog-eat-dog means? I'll give you a teaching lesson. It has nothing to do with working or paying taxes, lol. Its a "run you over, every man for himself" mentality that is prevalent in cities like New York, Boston, Philidelphia, and Miami. Its an aggressive attitude that you cut people off instead of stopping to let them pass in front of you. Its that you win at all costs, even if that means mowing over 10 people to save yourself. Get it now? That is why road rage is bad in Miami. Its the attitude or mentality of the people.

Now, I have no issue with cops. But racial profiling is a big problem, and minorities are arrested at much higher rates than white people. I suppose you think I'm "inventing" that?

You have this view of Miami being some big cess pool filled with criminals, illegals, and drugs. The only reason you think that is because its predominantly Hispanic and black. It is not based on any other factual information, except your assumption that all Hispanics, blacks, immigrants, and other citizens of Miami are poor criminals. Are drugs, illegals, and criminals a big problem in Miami? Of course. But to say that everyone who lives there is either an illegal, a criminal, a druggy, or some other menace to society is beyond absurd. You apparently also dispise all of the immigrants in Palm Beach County as well. Anybody who is not white, non-Hispanic is an immigrant in your view. If you think so lowly of FL, why don't you move away. Move to Alabama so you can get away from all of these terrible immigrants.

Manufacturing jobs have never existed in FL, you are right but that is exactly the point dummy. Due to the explosion in immigration in FL during the 1980's, and the lack of manufacturing jobs to employ all of these new people, is a big reason why there is so much poverty in Dade and Broward Counties. If no manufacturing jobs exist, service jobs are all that's left. And when there's an over-supply of labor available it pushes down wages for those jobs. How can entire groups of people feed their families and survive off of jobs that pay minimum wage? How many people does McDonalds need to employ to scrub the floors and flip the burgers?

How does this relate to crime? When economic conditions are tough, and opportunities are limited, people commit more crime. People turn to drug dealing, etc. Drug use spikes during economic recessions which creates opportunities for drug dealers to prosper. This creates more crime. You can argue the "personal responsibility" for individual circumstances, but to describe conditions of a group as a whole, I'm sorry but the personal responsibility argument doesn't work. Because you are assuming that blacks, immigrants, Hispanics, or other minorities are not personally responsible but you are.

Then you throw in all of this rubbish about Phili's murderers being badder than Miami murderers. Give me a break. Are you in middle school?

Why don't you explain to me what diversity means because apparently you are the expert. I guess Hispanics and blacks don't count. Only Asians and Indians do. Miami has no culture because they are not a sports town like Phili? What a stupid comment.
LOL sometimes it's good to read your own posts before arguing about what you did or didn't say. You said crime was caused by NY'ers, poor people being victims of government and strict cops and no manufacturing jobs. LOL I mean really. wth.

To which I responded that even our criminals (even from poor neighborhoods) would laugh at you for that.

I can tell you why the crime is so bad here in South Florida. The answer is 3-fold.

3. These communities have been neglected over the years and are worse now than ever. IMO this is a result of the government refusing to fund the schools in these areas, and the strict policies of police and other government agencies

I also love the statement that NY and Northern attitudes are the cause of road rage in MIAMI. ROFLMAO....So Fl has been a mecca of Northerners and others since the 1940's. I know you weren't born yet but the 1980 cocaine cowboy problem started the mess down there. NOT the Northern people who supported the place. My family moved here in 1962 we did not bring crime or road rage.

Immigrants? Yeah I hate immigrants that's why I married one. I know he doesn't count in your eyes since he's Greek. Diversity is not everyone speaking Spanish. LOL

You say poor immigrants are victimized by the government and cops? Are you actually serious? And is it "better" where they came from btw?

In case you didn't bother to read about the Dunbar rape a couple years ago the kids didn't even bother to go to school OR THE AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS and the despicable family members said "there's nothing to do after school" when asked why their little angels brutalized that Haitian woman and her kid.

You cannot simplistically write off generations of poverty in the AA community as "strict policies of the cops" being the cause of crime there or in any community. I don't know what the excuses of immigrants are. I'm too busy turning off "we were here first" and "if you come to Miami and don't speak spanish you're a tourist" and "I dont care if immigration policy favors Cuba they are my blood" etc etc etc....

The government won't fund schools? ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS GO TO SCHOOL LEGALLY AND LOW COST COLLEGE too what country are you living in?

Perhaps support immigration reform so the ILLEGALS dont steal resources from the LEGALS and you'll get better schools.

People turn to drugs when economic times are tough? [since there are no manufacturing jobs]....HUH? There's been drug use here since the late 60's and economic times has NOTHING to do with any of it that's 40 yeas.

That's all I have to say. You have obviously fallen for the Obama view of America everyone who makes money is mean and everyone poor is a victim and helpless and alot of talk with no facts.

You also seem to ignore that the poor people CHOSE to come here. You can't put a 55 year old head on a 20 something shoulder especially one that's only lived in Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2009, 10:37 AM

2,266 posts, read 2,284,981 times
Quote:
runwithscissors>

First, where did I say the cops are responsible for crime? I never said that so you are just making things up to bash me on. You made up a lot of other assumptions while bashing me too. Why don't you keep your right-wing, bigoted, anti-immigration opinions to yourself and quit bashing anyone's post who disagrees with you. If FL is such an immigrant state, you apparently cannot stand it so why don't you move? Every one of your sentences is followed by a LOL. Apparently you think everything is a big joke. Your posts are becoming a joke because you view everything through a right-left political prism.

You don't even know what dog-eat-dog means? I'll give you a teaching lesson. It has nothing to do with working or paying taxes, lol. Its a "run you over, every man for himself" mentality that is prevalent in cities like New York, Boston, Philidelphia, and Miami. Its an aggressive attitude that you cut people off instead of stopping to let them pass in front of you. Its that you win at all costs, even if that means mowing over 10 people to save yourself. Get it now? That is why road rage is bad in Miami. Its the attitude or mentality of the people.

Now, I have no issue with cops. But racial profiling is a big problem, and minorities are arrested at much higher rates than white people. I suppose you think I'm "inventing" that?

You have this view of Miami being some big cess pool filled with criminals, illegals, and drugs. The only reason you think that is because its predominantly Hispanic and black. It is not based on any other factual information, except your assumption that all Hispanics, blacks, immigrants, and other citizens of Miami are poor criminals. Are drugs, illegals, and criminals a big problem in Miami? Of course. But to say that everyone who lives there is either an illegal, a criminal, a druggy, or some other menace to society is beyond absurd. You apparently also dispise all of the immigrants in Palm Beach County as well. Anybody who is not white, non-Hispanic is an immigrant in your view. If you think so lowly of FL, why don't you move away. Move to Alabama so you can get away from all of these terrible immigrants.

Manufacturing jobs have never existed in FL, you are right but that is exactly the point dummy. Due to the explosion in immigration in FL during the 1980's, and the lack of manufacturing jobs to employ all of these new people, is a big reason why there is so much poverty in Dade and Broward Counties. If no manufacturing jobs exist, service jobs are all that's left. And when there's an over-supply of labor available it pushes down wages for those jobs. How can entire groups of people feed their families and survive off of jobs that pay minimum wage? How many people does McDonalds need to employ to scrub the floors and flip the burgers?

How does this relate to crime? When economic conditions are tough, and opportunities are limited, people commit more crime. People turn to drug dealing, etc. Drug use spikes during economic recessions which creates opportunities for drug dealers to prosper. This creates more crime. You can argue the "personal responsibility" for individual circumstances, but to describe conditions of a group as a whole, I'm sorry but the personal responsibility argument doesn't work. Because you are assuming that blacks, immigrants, Hispanics, or other minorities are not personally responsible but you are.

Then you throw in all of this rubbish about Phili's murderers being badder than Miami murderers. Give me a break. Are you in middle school?

Why don't you explain to me what diversity means because apparently you are the expert. I guess Hispanics and blacks don't count. Only Asians and Indians do. Miami has no culture because they are not a sports town like Phili? What a stupid comment.
Nolefan -- diversity to me is a mix of many races, living in one place (not just Hispanic). New York is truly diverse, LA is diverse, San Francisco is diverse, Philly is even far more diverse than Miami. Why? Because you have sizeable black, Asian, Russian, Italian, Irish AND Hispanic populations in those cities.

Miami is no more diverse than anywhere else in Florida, the only difference being that Miami is mostly Hispanic, while other cities in Florida are mostly WASP (or whatever you want to call them).

Does Miami have a Chinatown? Does Miami have an Italian population, or an Irish population? Drive through Kendall, Westchester or Hialeah and tell me if you think those places are "diverse". In fact, they're about as non-diverse as you can get and I rarely even see a black person in those areas.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:50 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,648,398 times
You should look up the demographics of Kendall if you think it is non-diverse... Kendall is only about half Hispanic and has a small black population and small Asian/Indian population in addition to a very large non-Hispanic white population.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:58 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,234,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post

while other cities in Florida are mostly WASP (or whatever you want to call them).

Most major Florida cities including Fort Myers, Miami, West Palm Beach, and soon Tampa and Orlando are diverse and minority-majority. (Although, for the record, I've never actually been to Fort Myers or Tampa so I just have to go with the demographic information that's been released to the public.)

As for the different "town" sections of cities - it can be argued that having those sections makes for more segregation than true diversity. If you have a neighborhood of all different types of people living in one place then I'd consider that diverse. If everyone lives on separate sides of the city then it is segregated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area