Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 PM

60 posts, read 233,172 times

Advertisements

I don't know how soon to start searching but would like to get an idea. I'm likely to transfer jobs from VA to FL and work near the intersection of Las Olas Blvd and Federal Hwy in Oct 2009. I would like to pay $1000/month, 1 BR, near beach, Safe (everyone says that), I have no kids or pets, single, white, female, late 30's. I wouldn't mind a high rise. I would like to be able to ride a bike to the beach if not close enough to walk. I don't mind commuting, but I use public transportation here and haven't heard positive things about it in FTL. I don't need much space or amenities, but a pool and fitness center would be nice. I'm flying down for a few days in Feb. to look around and would like some ideas of areas to check out. Everyone on this board is so helpful in other threads so I look forward to your responses. Happy new year!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 05:07 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,422,346 times
You won't find anything for $1000 near the beach. Especially not a high-rise. One place I'd recommend that's about $1000 is Port Royale near the intersection of Commercial Blvd. and US1. Its on the mainland, but a short drive from the beach. You could probably walk to the beach too.

Old 01-02-2009, 01:19 PM

Does anyone have insider info on Port Royale? On apartmentratings.com, there are many unhappy residents. Then again, I looked up my current apt. (which I love) and saw many unhappy there, too. I will check it out when I go visit, though.

Old 01-02-2009, 05:04 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,789,535 times
Yes Port Royale. I looked for MONTHS AND MONTHS around where you're saying. All the private rentals were sketchy with scams abounding.

There's a new condo building across from Port Royale on the South side of Fed...I forget the name....it's at 65th. Brand new with private rentals.

The issue is that alot of the owners are getting foreclosed AND alot of units within buildings are already foreclosed and toxic mold is in there.

My very own real estate agent just found out she has toxic mold in her condo from the unit upstairs that's been vacant and they had a secret leak. She had no idea. She is sick and has to move out!

A complete mess.

You cant go by the rating on the internet only the mad people usually post.

Port Royale also has short term leases so if you are worried just do 3 or 6 months. They have water views in many of the units there.

The trick with them is they won't always show you the EXACT unit that you're waiting for unless it's vacant. I told them no way, I'm not risking moving into a dumpy unit ....but most of them have recently be refurbished.

Another option is Bay Colony Club (Bay Club Drive) in the same neighborhood but it's private owners again. It also might be a tad over your price range.CORRECTION.... I just looked and there are plenty under 1000.00.

I had a Real Estate agent actually tell me to sneak my damn pet bird in there even though it's NO PET. I swear you have to be VERY CAREFUL that's why I recommend an apartment building now versus private owners and dealing with agents in So Fl.

BTW you can get a 1/1 at 62nd in a decent HOA for only $675. 2/2/ for about 800 or 850 now...they used to be over 1000....Right behind Imperial Point Hosp across the street from Port R....called Imperial Point. Go on Realtor dot com and select rentals using 33308 zip code and you can see them all. It's a pain but there's a ton of available properties you just have to do your homework down here really well. You can even get efficiencies right ON THE WATER at Galt Ocean Dr and other Ocean locations for 600 now. If I didn't have a pet I woulda done that when I first moved here but they werent that cheap either.

Also try Lauderdale by the Sea. It's right by Commercial.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 01-02-2009 at 05:21 PM..

Old 01-02-2009, 10:31 PM

99 posts, read 302,744 times
If you are going to move down here, with a job in the Las Olas area, and want a short commute, a bike ride down to the beach, then you have to find a place in the Downtown Fort Lauderdale area.

I looked up the area, and there are places to live at that price point. I don't know if this will work, but you can look at the results by accessing this link:
RNT Client Detail View (MLX)

If you add the pool and a fitness room then the rentals in downtown come out above your budget. There has to be a way to get in that area though!!

Anyway, your arrival date is in October, a lot of things could happen financially between now and then, and who knows what the rental market will be. Keep in touch, I have lived down here for over 20 years and I love the Las Olas area. Its a great mixture of everything positive Fort Lauderdale has to offer.

Last edited by AttilaLaczko; 01-02-2009 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: Additional Clarity

Old 01-04-2009, 02:30 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,803,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joolzcd View Post
I don't know how soon to start searching but would like to get an idea. I'm likely to transfer jobs from VA to FL and work near the intersection of Las Olas Blvd and Federal Hwy in Oct 2009. I would like to pay $1000/month, 1 BR, near beach, Safe (everyone says that), I have no kids or pets, single, white, female, late 30's. I wouldn't mind a high rise. I would like to be able to ride a bike to the beach if not close enough to walk. I don't mind commuting, but I use public transportation here and haven't heard positive things about it in FTL. I don't need much space or amenities, but a pool and fitness center would be nice. I'm flying down for a few days in Feb. to look around and would like some ideas of areas to check out. Everyone on this board is so helpful in other threads so I look forward to your responses. Happy new year!
Do you have a car? I think that even if you get a job that you can walk to you will need a car to live in Broward County. You probably will not find an apartment within walking distance to Las Olas with a pool and fitness center for under $1K. You can probably find something is a decent neighborhood but probably not THAT neighborhood as it is expensive.

Old 01-04-2009, 02:37 PM

I do have a car and don't mind getting up early for a commute. Being really close to work isn't as important to me as living as close to the beach as I can afford.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area