U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 06:50 AM

6 posts, read 10,394 times

Advertisements

I am a science/biology/earth sciences/geography teacher in a Catholic School in the Fort Lauderdale area. I am Florida certified in biology. I have Masters Degrees in biology and geography and 15 years teaching experience and 8 years in this Catholic School. Due to the low pay in the Catholic School and the high cost of living in Broward, I am considering switching to public schools in Broward or Palm Beach or Martin County. I love where I am, but I don't like the pay. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this? Should I make the jump for money? Does a new teacher have any choice regarding which school where she would be teaching in public schools? Are the students' behavior and work ethic significantly worse in public schools? Thank you very much for your help.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2009, 11:22 AM

3 posts, read 7,264 times
I don't think its fair to ask if kids who are in public school have as good as work ethic as those in private schools, thats a bit offensive, suggesting that kids in private schools are "better" then those in public. I wouldnt want my kids teachers coming in with that kind of judgement. That being said if you are not getting enough money where you are then make the change, what grade are you teaching? I don't think you should have a problem with behavior if you are teaching primary school.

Old 01-07-2009, 05:55 PM

137 posts, read 380,891 times
In my opinion and I'm speaking with experience in No. VA outside of washington (I'm fairly new here). There were so many kids in the private schools who were kicked out of the public schools. So the private schools had some of the worse disciplined kids around. That includes the catholic schools.

Public schools in the DC metro area did not tolerate problem children....but the private schools pretty much took anyone if they were willing to pay.

The public schools around here look just fine.

Old 01-08-2009, 12:00 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,027,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher1 View Post
I am a science/biology/earth sciences/geography teacher in a Catholic School in the Fort Lauderdale area. I am Florida certified in biology. I have Masters Degrees in biology and geography and 15 years teaching experience and 8 years in this Catholic School. Due to the low pay in the Catholic School and the high cost of living in Broward, I am considering switching to public schools in Broward or Palm Beach or Martin County. I love where I am, but I don't like the pay. Can anyone give me their thoughts on this? Should I make the jump for money? Does a new teacher have any choice regarding which school where she would be teaching in public schools? Are the students' behavior and work ethic significantly worse in public schools? Thank you very much for your help.
I would be really cautious about jumping ship from a stable school environment to a public school system in Florida right now

link (http://www.miamiherald.com/news/legislature/story/840728.html - broken link)

Trust me when I tell you, 2009 is going to be a disaster economically. Which means more budget cuts for next year OR higher taxes. I wouldn't be shocked to see teacher lay-offs from public schools either this year or next.

Old 01-08-2009, 05:49 PM

202 posts, read 565,114 times
I have to do field exp for my intro to edu class at BC, does anyone have suggestions as to what sections of Broward I should ask for 1, 2, 3? I think they go according to area not specific school. Any help is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Old 01-08-2009, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinekim View Post
I don't think its fair to ask if kids who are in public school have as good as work ethic as those in private schools, thats a bit offensive, suggesting that kids in private schools are "better" then those in public. I wouldnt want my kids teachers coming in with that kind of judgement. That being said if you are not getting enough money where you are then make the change, what grade are you teaching? I don't think you should have a problem with behavior if you are teaching primary school.
Dear Christinekim:

The reason that I asked the question is that I taught in Europe before coming here (I am a naturalized citizen), and therefore I need/want all the information that I can get. I don't believe that my inquiry is disrespectful at all. Also, I don't think you understand my question since I think I made it clear that money is not the only thing that is important to me.

Best regards,
Scienceteacher1

Old 01-08-2009, 10:16 PM

Dear Ishoupe:
That is very interesting. Thanks.
Scienceteacher1

Old 01-08-2009, 10:19 PM

Dear Wild Style:

Thanks for taking the time. Are you a teacher?

Scienceteacher1

Old 01-09-2009, 09:28 AM

6,993 posts, read 16,027,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScienceTeacher1 View Post
Dear Wild Style:

Thanks for taking the time. Are you a teacher?

Scienceteacher1
Once upon a time I was. But that was in another life

Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 AM

8,034 posts, read 11,813,436 times
Dispense with the education of the schools and have good masters at home instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area