Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 05:47 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times

Advertisements

Oh Man "Punks jump up toget beat down" one of my favorite songs/rhymes in the whole world. My cousin was a 5%. I have to admit though I never really understood wht any of that meant. 5% versus 100%. I'm christian not that -that matters at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 06:20 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Oh Man "Punks jump up toget beat down" one of my favorite songs/rhymes in the whole world. My cousin was a 5%. I have to admit though I never really understood wht any of that meant. 5% versus 100%. I'm christian not that -that matters at all.
the theory goes 5% of the population are Righteous, have "knowledge of themselves" and are civilized men/women

10% are people who know the truth but use the ignorance of the masses against them to bleed them dry of their wealth and keep them social, mental and economic slaves

85% are deaf, dumb and blind. Do not have knowledge of themselves and are mental slaves to their lower desires and to the 10%

Old 02-20-2009, 06:23 PM

4 posts, read 7,612 times
Thanks for the insight to the income. I am trying to decide what city or town to move back to in Fl. now. I lived in Boca R. & Ft. Laud. in the 90's-2001 & loved them. Again in '04 I lived in Ft. Laud. for 6 mos. but it was getting too congested for me (3 pm traffic hr).
Do you know where are the jobs in Fl now? Exec. Asst. in the $60k range? Where are you going to move to?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:25 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
Interesting - there is the one new thing I learned today. Happens at least once a day every day. Now I'll ask is this different from just being plain muslim?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:27 PM

36 posts, read 215,479 times
Unhappy I Agree completely!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
well it's quite expensive to live here and i find it hard to make friends here, it seems like their are no middle class people here only poor and upper middle class people, no in between, i just down see the beauty anymore in south florida, i'm over it, and can't wait to get back to my hometown of the D.C. area...anyways don't mean to be so negative, it just seems like south florida is really suffering from the recession compared to most states...just my opinion
I COMPLETELY understand you on that. I've attended college in West Palm Beach and have said the same thing. Everyone in the West Palm Beach area are either too rich or too poor... No in between or happy medium.
This along with other things is causing me to withdraw form the college leaving West Palm Beach entirely.
Along with that, another thing that irks me about South Florida is the fact that if you're not white, you're automatically not from this country in the eyes of other people. I am not Haitian, or Cuban, or Jamaican, I am African American and Native American but for some reason, people just continue to put me in the international category. I hate that.
Goodbye South Florida... I'm now off to see if Northern Florida is my cup of tea or if I just need to completely leave the state entirely...

Old 02-20-2009, 06:56 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sk8r View Post
Thanks for the insight to the income. I am trying to decide what city or town to move back to in Fl. now. I lived in Boca R. & Ft. Laud. in the 90's-2001 & loved them. Again in '04 I lived in Ft. Laud. for 6 mos. but it was getting too congested for me (3 pm traffic hr).
Do you know where are the jobs in Fl now? Exec. Asst. in the $60k range? Where are you going to move to?
I think it will be very hard to pull that salary off in this economy down here. Maybe look at Miami?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Interesting - there is the one new thing I learned today. Happens at least once a day every day. Now I'll ask is this different from just being plain muslim?
yes, HUGE difference. We (Muslims) pray five times a day. We don't believe in the whole 5%/10%/85% thing. There are tons of other differences but I am to lazy to type it out

Old 02-22-2009, 06:13 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,789,284 times
Default Chelsa-Read these threads

These threads chronicle a middle aged woman with an 11 yo son about her experience moving from NJ to Naples and back to NJ four months later.

I don't post this as a bash, or to suggest that this is your situation, or that this would happen to you. It is one persons adventure moving to Florida and back-and it was during good economic times. I realize she moved to Naples and not Broward.

If you don't want to slog through it I'll summarize: She was mesmerized by the nice weather and came down here in the winter to interview with a locally well known IT employer. Despite their unprofessional and flaky behavior she accepted a job with them for a salary she was making in 1983. I found on another of her threads that she was making 150K commuting to NYC.

Four months later she moved back. She found all the warnings about the heat, schools, job market, housing costs, traffic and un family friendly environment to be true. It wasn't NJ lifestyle with good weather.

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ink-i-got.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...y-morning.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...am-my-way.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...es-thread.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...re-naples.html

Last edited by RMD3819; 02-22-2009 at 06:31 AM.. Reason: Fact correction.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:05 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,661,046 times
Default I followed her posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
These threads chronicle a middle aged woman with an 11 yo son about her experience moving from NJ to Naples and back to NJ four months later.

I don't post this as a bash, or to suggest that this is your situation, or that this would happen to you. It is one persons adventure moving to Florida and back-and it was during good economic times. I realize she moved to Naples and not Broward.

If you don't want to slog through it I'll summarize: She was mesmerized by the nice weather and came down here in the winter to interview with a locally well known IT employer. Despite their unprofessional and flaky behavior she accepted a job with them for a salary she was making in 1983. I found on another of her threads that she was making 150K commuting to NYC.

Four months later she moved back. She found all the warnings about the heat, schools, job market, housing costs, traffic and un family friendly environment to be true. It wasn't NJ lifestyle with good weather.

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...ink-i-got.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...y-morning.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...am-my-way.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...es-thread.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...re-naples.html
since she came to Naples a few months before I did, plus my husband was hired by an IT company here too. Fortunately, not the same one. I have heard of some questionable practices by this company since my husband works for a rival company. I am not at liberty to discuss them, however.

I also believe there was a incident involving her son which she did not want to talk about. We talked privately but she wouldn't say. Anyway, she left very, very suddenly. She did say she wanted to get her son back to school in NJ.

Frankly, I am not surprised all this happened.

Old 02-22-2009, 03:32 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Chelsea,

I realize I'm late catching onto this, but in one of your earlier posts you said that a salary of $85,000 in NYC is comparable to a salary of $55,000 in South Florida. I'm sure you are accurate. However, I fail to see how paying %10 less in taxes in FL than in NYC makes up for the $30,000 less you will make in gross pay. NYC is surely significantly more expensive to live in than South Florida. But I think most of that has to do with housing costs, and more specifically paying an arm and a leg for a lousy studio apartment in the city. So you'll get more space here in FL for sure. But everything else I'm afraid you are underestimating.

Also, you have to realize that as recently as a decade ago, South Florida was not that expensive to live in. The cost of living didn't rise too much until about the late 90's, and then it exploded post-2000. So the reputation hasn't caught up yet with the reality.

Old 02-22-2009, 05:55 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
Another thing we have in common...Photography. I love photography. Aspiring one here . It's a learning process for me. I plan on investing in a professional camera in the near future. I work with what I have now, and get good results. Are you sure we weren't separated at birth?
Are u on also on FM?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area