Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2009, 04:16 AM

188 posts, read 587,715 times

Advertisements

I think those of us that come to this board daily to see what is going on and what people are saying know Chelsa very well by now. You must not have gone back through her posts and noticed that indeed she does have a husband who will be with her. In fact he is reason they are moving to FL. She would go elsewhere but her husband's family is in SFL. She has stated over and over that they will not come down without jobs. And she has said that they are leaning towards Coral Springs but most recently Weston because of the family atmosphere and education. She is well aware of the living conditions here. Trust me, she has been told over and over. She knows what needs to be done for her family. But don't worry, once she gets out of her warm bed and that cold NY wind smacks her in the face, she will be on here to tell you herself!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2009, 05:42 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I know mister and appreciate all the truth that both you and Wild have shared. We aren't going anywhere just yet. Plain and simple, if I don't get a job I'm not going anywhere, I'll make due with what I have and like you said make the best of it. Really all that aside most of the reason I want to move has everything to do with the type of lifestyle I want to give my kids. I don't know how many kids you have, but man my 2 boys are no fun stuck in a house all day on a saturday or sunday. Bonkers is what I would describe it as - LOL.

I'm taking every single thing that people tell me into consideration. As I'm sure you can tell I'm no ones fool, but I won't tolerate someone basically telling me I'm an idiot for wanting to go to the place they live. As you said so nicely in your other post to me, what is wrong for one may be right for another. I too hope that I find what I want in SFL.

Again thank you for your well wishes, hopefully they work in my favor.
I think you said you were looking for work in law offices right? If so be VERY careful! Two Thursdays ago it was known as "black Thursday" for law firms because the most lawyers and staff in history were laid off in one single day and they said more lay offs are coming. link

Old 02-26-2009, 07:44 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Bcreass - I never ever have said in any of my posts that Florida is much cheaper - I personally don't think Florida is the grandest state of all. What I said was that there are certain givens that you guys get there just as standard that even paying 5K a month you will not like get all of that in an apartment in NY. Do you understand my point? I know that the wages are much lower, but they won't take 36% out of my pay check the way they do here. Education is really subjective. I know some people there hate the school system and some who think it is the best thing since peanut butter.

Now as far as a car...can you live in NYC with out a car of course, can you live in a borough without a car, yes, in most areas. However, is it more convenient to have a car? Umm, YES. Guys, I get completely what you are saying, but ask someone from Howard Beach, St. Albans, Springfield Garden, Bayside, College Point, Whitestone, Fresh Meadows, Middle Village, Maspeth, etc. if they can live without a car. While I will never argue that our transportation system is better than that in SFL, I will say that your behind could wait a long time out in the cold for a bus in these areas too.

I like NY guys - I just don't want this life for my kids. There are things that you guys give your kids that are standard, sports with the schools etc. I realize there aren't as much museum's, zoo's, etc. - I'm not putting culture and diversity in there, because I think that a lot of people may leave NY trying to escape that so, for them that may be a plus. I have to say that I would never necessarily think of SFL as incredibly diverse. I think perhaps the people who have disshevled views are those people who went expecting something more than what they have gotten.

I'm not looking to live the life of gandier there. I'm a simple person with a family who wants to give my kids the life I think they deserve. It may not be the right choice, but I will have to take that chance all the same. Otherwise, I will always wonder what could have been.

Oh and yes - the things you find boring are the things I like - the simplicity of everything is my attraction. If I had my choice, I'd go to Alabama - LOL, that is right about where I want to be.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:00 AM

Okay - I am going to give you a pass on this, because you are definitely just entering this post for the first time. I have done all my homework on everything that you posed your questions on. I will not be going there with out a job!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:24 AM

We don't get a whole lot of snow, but we get a whole lot of bone chilling cold - weather that no one wants to be outside in. You really have got to read all my posts. I'm not sure if you are trying to be helpful or just have energy and time to try and make people feel foolish for a move they would like to make, but you really should read into everything before giving an opinion. You clearly did not read the many, many posts I have entered here. Please do that first and then you and I can speak intelligently to one another.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:55 AM

7 posts, read 32,333 times
South Flroida is the worst. I said my whole deal on another post. IN a nutshell.

Most people are either clicky, or total drug addicts

Drivers are the worst

Education is the worst

Wages are bad

no work eithic in all level's of jobs

people who you hire don't know what they are doing and are careless

(hey my car left the dealership with a loose oil cap twice two diferent dealerships)

The only good thing about Fla is the weather during the winter. But that ain't going to cut it for me.

If I had the money I'd move up north again. But once prices went up in New York I had to sell my condo and I've been using that money to subsidize down here and now I"m stuck. It's not a good feeling.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:36 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
^^ I think a lot of us feel stuck. And the more I read, the more it seems that getting out is going to either take patience (like a decade's worth) or sheer recklessness (walking on a mortgage and/or a job). For me at least, South Florida feels like a bad marriage.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:16 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecomputergenius View Post
South Flroida is the worst. I said my whole deal on another post. IN a nutshell.

Most people are either clicky, or total drug addicts

Drivers are the worst

Education is the worst

Wages are bad

no work eithic in all level's of jobs

people who you hire don't know what they are doing and are careless

(hey my car left the dealership with a loose oil cap twice two diferent dealerships)

The only good thing about Fla is the weather during the winter. But that ain't going to cut it for me.

If I had the money I'd move up north again. But once prices went up in New York I had to sell my condo and I've been using that money to subsidize down here and now I"m stuck. It's not a good feeling.
Please do us all a favor and leave as soon as you can ... "yes most people are drug addicts ".. shows the kind of people you associate with .... oops gotta go I have to go score a kilo this afternoon and then rush home and bake some brownies with some Colombian gold

Last edited by Rock Newman; 02-27-2009 at 09:33 AM..

Old 02-27-2009, 09:27 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
^^ I think a lot of us feel stuck. And the more I read, the more it seems that getting out is going to either take patience (like a decade's worth) or sheer recklessness (walking on a mortgage and/or a job). For me at least, South Florida feels like a bad marriage.

I wonder if anyone here reads the papers from time to time and realizes what is going on in our country ... people feel "stuck" in many major cities in the US right now ... go on the California or Arizona forums and then we will talk ... do you really think these problems are just akin to South Florida ... do you know how high crime and the foreclosure rate is in Atlanta for example ?

Do you really think that because you sell your home in South Florida and move to North Florida , Georgia or the Carolinas you will then live in perpetual nirvana ?

The more time I spend on this forum the more I realize that it has become a virtual therapy and sounding board for bitter malcontents and naysayers and less a forum for information and advice on schools , the weather , restaurants , places to live , the arts and entertainment . No one is saying that this area has no problems , yes bad drivers and rude people are down here , but for every rude cretin , I meet two more people that are friendly and courteous . We have a great circle of friends and enjoy the positives the area has to offer including the beaches and the weather ... yes I like the heat ( I said it !! ) we treat people with kindness and respect and are usually treated in kind . I think some of the constant naysayers need to do some soul searching and ask themselves if maybe it is they that are unfriendly and rude . I would bet that most of the whiners on here would be miserable just about anywhere they would live in our beautiful country .

Old 02-27-2009, 09:44 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
Quote:
Do you really think that because you sell your home in South Florida and move to North Florida , Georgia or the Carolinas you will then live in perpetual nirvana ?
If we are able to sell our house before/when our daughter graduates high school in summer 2010, we will be relocating to Mexico. Do I expect it to be nirvana? No. I just want to live in freedom, not as a debt slave in an economy that has become prohibitively expensive to live. For the amount of money we spend to subsist here, we can live exponentially better there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area