Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 07:19 AM

188 posts, read 587,715 times

Advertisements

Looking forward to it. Good luck with the job search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 PM

439 posts, read 1,748,116 times
Ok, let's see what I can add here. I'd like to think that I know enough about Cooper City--lived there from 1975 until 2003.

It was never truly rural, but it's a lot more built up than it used to be. When I moved, the Super Target at University and Stirling was under construction and the land on the southwest corner of that intersection had just been annexed by Cooper City for future development. I remember when there were cows on at least 3 of the 4 corners of that intersection! And I learned to drive in the old parking lot for where Home Depot now sits.

The school you'd probably be most interested in is Embassy Creek Elementary. I believe there is some sort of a gifted program based there but am not completely sure. When I moved, I wasn't using the school system yet because my daughter wasn't even 3 years old at the time. Some of the neighborhoods you'd want to look in to would be Rock Creek and Embassy Lakes. Both have townhomes in parts of the areas and I believe that Embassy Lakes is completely gated.

There is a community center with a nice aquatic complex inside Rock Creek. I know they have swim teams and stuff like that. I took my daughter there for baby swim classes back in the day. They also have a listing of other offerings there. There is also the main community center located off 90th Avenue in Cooper Colony Estates (the oldest section of Cooper City and the part that I grew up in). They have a listing of community programs available there too. There are a few sports complexes around that seem to be very active. As far as ice skating is concerned, the closest you'll find is Pines Ice in Pembroke Pines. But it's not that far away at all.

I believe Girl Scouts was also mentioned. The website for the local council is Girl Scouts Southeast Florida. Girl Scouts of Southeast Florida I'm a troop leader here in West Boca and as of this past October, the former Broward council merged with the council that covered Palm Beach and the Treasure Coast. Recruitment for the new year is usually held in early to mid September, so just keep your eyes and ears alert. I'd tell you someone specifically to contact if I could but I can't.

You don't see much horse riding around there anymore. It's definitely not like it used to be. I remember when the McDonalds in Cooper City opened for business and they had a place to tie up your horses outside. If you go further west on Griffin Road (the northern boundary for the city), you'll start to see more people on horses.

Depending on the area, Cooper City is a great fit for families. I lived in the older part of the city with people who had been in their homes for quite some time, so I didn't have too many families with young children on my street. If there were young children visiting, they were most likely the grandkids of those on my street. I lived walking distance from Pioneer Middle. But it was still a wonderful neighborhood. You're more likely to find younger families in both Rock Creek and Embassy Lakes.

I hope this helps you some. Good luck with your move and feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:39 PM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
I love living in Cooper City. It's not perfect, but it is home. You have a little of everything here, and the comforts of a smaller city. If you need any contact #'s for the Girl Scouts, locally Cooper City is within the New River Service Unit, give me a personal message and I'll will forward info to you. Hope you consider Cooper City.

Laura

Old 02-05-2009, 09:50 AM

26 posts, read 77,529 times
Thanks so much for the replies. I think getting her into GS and other activities right away will be key in a smooth move/transition. My 2 1/2 year old- as long as he's with mommy he is good! My only concern is all of the foreclosures. We want to rent because we will be in FL for only 3 years. I would hate to have to move because of bad luck with a landlord. We are thinking of a nice apartment complex instead for that reason. Maybe Plantation or Davie. Who knows. I have until May to narrow my search. That is when we will come down and make a decision about where to live for a July 1 move. I'm just very methodical about research, so the sooner the better in my book.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:51 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
Renting in a complex is a great idea.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:21 AM

Thanks Momma Bear! I lived in Indianapolis, IN and it was all apartments it seemed like. With our slightly nomadic lifestyle (moving every 3-4 years) I feel like we get attached to a "Real" house too easily. An apartment will also have a pool, play area,tennis, etc. The only thing my husband doesn't like is nowhere to keep the grill! I have found a couple of complexes that seem nice and are in good elementary schools zones. Two in Plantation, one in Davie. One has uniforms- wouldn't my daughter love that!

Old 02-06-2009, 12:00 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
much easier on the wallet - that is my thinking, as long as you don't have to order the uniforms from a specific place - then it is really costly.

Old 02-06-2009, 12:24 PM

Yeah and I won't have the "I don't know what to wear argument every day!

Old 03-18-2009, 02:19 PM

2 posts, read 5,690 times
I'm also in the same situation that I would need to move from Wellington, FL south closer to Miami for work. I thought about Pembroke Pines but was discouraged after reading the posts here and how congested it is. I've been reading that Cooper City is a great place to live but the schools are not that great. I have a son in HS and based on research, I heard that the HS in CC has drug problems and the traffic to drop off kids is horrendous. Do any of you know more information about that? School is a major concern but I know the schools here in FL are not the greatest. I also thought about private schools but they all seem to be religious. We're spiritual but not religious. Any advice on those schools as well?

Old 03-18-2009, 02:26 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
I can't tell you anything with 100% certainty, but I don't think that CC schools would be considered bad and I think most would say they are better than pembroke pines (I would think). There are 5 cities that we all agree have the best (Florida best) public schools in Broward - Weston, Davie, Cooper City, Coral Springs and Parkland. Obviously, CS and Parkland don't work for you - Look into any of the other 3 cities and you will find basically the same is said of their schools, they are all very good (again, Florida standards, I emphasize this because, people from other states don't like the school system so much. I can't judge one way or the other, I have no kids in school there, but I will say that I like what I read).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area