Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2009, 11:47 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Fashion Mall, The Fountains, DHL, Broward Mall and Motorola are almost done, etc.
Fashion Mall was dead long before this economic crisis. Fountains they are putting Coles in there which is why they tore down those buildings. DHL no longer does domestic delivery in the united states, hence why they are closing up shop. Broward Mall? really? I haven't been in there in awhile but last time I did, nothing had closed down yet. Now if Macy's closes up shop (which I think is just a matter of time) then I will agree with you that plantation may be in some HUGE trouble. Fashion Mall they were SUPPOSEDLY building more condos (errrr WHY!) and a Movico and some office space (yep, cause they don't have enough empty office space as is). I think you are the one who told me about the thing they were supposed to build on the fashion mall spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
Fashion Mall - no longer exists and has been closed, more or less, since Hurricane Wilma in 2005 so this is not recent
The Fountains - also has been going on for years and not recent - Kohl's is supposed to move in there.
DHL - does anyone really notice that it's gone?
Motorola - also impacted but the plant is still there.

To add - what is really the fastest dying suburb? I don't think anyone really knows. Each community and/or suburb has been affected by the economic and housing crisis - some to larger to degrees. I don't think you will see the "death" of any one given "suburb."
agree with everything you said except the no suburb death thing. I fully expect to see ghost towns by the time this thing is over and no that wont be in 2010. As this thing drags on and all this faux wealth goes bye bye we are going to see some interesting events. I don't agree with compelled's list fully but I do think some places are far more vulnerable than others. I would not be shocked to see city consolidations and areas with in certain cities turn into utter crap. I should also say, I hope I am wrong and we can all sit back and laugh at my paranoia in a few years.

Last edited by Wild Style; 01-21-2009 at 11:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Fashion Mall, The Fountains, DHL, Broward Mall and Motorola are almost done, etc.
I think Broward Mall is just losing its customer base to Sawgrass, no? The same happened to Miami International Mall when Dolphin opened just next door. It's obviously on its last legs, though, and I'll be sad to see it go.

Old 01-21-2009, 12:58 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
I think the owners of these strip malls will have to start dropping rents in order to attract and retain tenants. As for a suburb dying out, I'm doubtful, because S Florida is already built out, and since there's nowhere else for anyone else to live, that's going to save everyone. I coud speculate about certain developments that might be in trouble for a few years, but in the end, I believe everything will come back.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I think the owners of these strip malls will have to start dropping rents in order to attract and retain tenants. As for a suburb dying out, I'm doubtful, because S Florida is already built out, and since there's nowhere else for anyone else to live, that's going to save everyone. I coud speculate about certain developments that might be in trouble for a few years, but in the end, I believe everything will come back.
Its called the other 50 states in the U.S. Broward has been losing citizens/population declines. School enrollment down by 6% and foreclosures are up. It is highly likely/possible

Old 01-21-2009, 01:42 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
Technically Wild, it would be the other 49 states. I think what Fauve meant was, if the people who are not doing well don't have the money to get themselves out of the hole they are in, how could they go some where else. The whole country is hurting believe me. NY's unemployment is about the same as Florida's however our real estate is not as bad and that is only because people are living in a fantasy land hoping that some idiot will still pay 600k for a 2 bedroom attached house.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:55 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,667,463 times
We are having this same discussion in the Miami forum: //www.city-data.com/forum/miami...ng-suburb.html - just thought I'd provide you guys with the link!

Old 01-21-2009, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Technically Wild, it would be the other 49 states. I think what Fauve meant was, if the people who are not doing well don't have the money to get themselves out of the hole they are in, how could they go some where else. The whole country is hurting believe me. NY's unemployment is about the same as Florida's however our real estate is not as bad and that is only because people are living in a fantasy land hoping that some idiot will still pay 600k for a 2 bedroom attached house.
Correct 49 states. As for where will people go? Well lets see, move in with family, migrate from one suburb to a cheaper suburb to the next. What I am saying is not a stretch of the imagination, just read what is going on right now, there is a outward trend in Broward, not inward.

As for NYC real estate, NYC is driven in large part by wall street, the bubble burst later there than here. As time goes on, the housing market will be come very depressed. I think far more so than most imagine.

*edit*

I will say 50 states and not 49. People will flow to other cities with in Florida as well IF they are economically viable or people have some sort of support there (family member etc.)

Old 01-21-2009, 06:23 PM

I don't care how bad it is, people will always rather live here than Detroit. There are a lot more Detroits in this country, than South Floridas.

Old 01-21-2009, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I don't care how bad it is, people will always rather live here than Detroit. There are a lot more Detroits in this country, than South Floridas.
you may not care but reality doesn't agree with you. For the last two years Broward county has been losing population.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:50 PM

There are cycles. We're obviously in a down one. This isn't the first down cycle S Florida has had. And, if it were, that would be all the more reason it wouldn't be permanent. It's one thing being poor, but people don't like to be poor *and* cold. All things being equal, people would rather live here than the Detroits of the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area