Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 05:27 PM

326 posts, read 1,453,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Vviolin,

Sorry if I came across combative - not my intention at all. I get the private school far from home thing - that makes sense. Why the hesitation with the movie theaters and neighbors here? The reason I ask is because I'm getting a "they're not safe" vibe so I'm wondering what I should be worrying about that I'm not. I have always been a pretty protective parent so it is interesting to see that t here may be someone more protective than me!
FAUVE, I lived in Broward for 12 years. I feel my home is still, and also, there: I still hold on tightly to my house, which I love. I simply LOVE South Florida, I just had to move and then I realized in CT it is a little easier to raise my children, but I can reassure you that I would have raised them well even in Broward.
The fact is, when we lived there, in the Hollywood Lakes neighborhood, I could not send my child to visit their few friends from school a few blocks away. I know there are some street in some neighborhoods where kids play outside all the times, but, while my neighborhood is a good one, it is not a safe one. Not safe enough to let my then 10 year old girl walk on the strees by herself.
As for the movie theaters, I may be a little obsessed here, but I would have never let my daughter go to the movies with two or three friends. At some point in time I would have probably let go: older teenagers can probably go to the movies in group safely, but I might have bought myself a ticket to a movie myself....
The fact is, South FL is not safe when it comes to children. Our neighborhoods are next door with pretty run down corridors. Even Hollywood Lakes, which is a relatively wealthy neighborhood, borders with US1, along which walk prostitutes, drug dealers and all kinds of wrong doing people. A friend of mine, living in my area, was jogging with her dog and got kidnapped, thrown in the car and survived only because I police car, several blocks away, had a feeling that something wrong was happening.
Another friend of mine, just a few blocks away from me, got killed in front of his house, at 9 o'clock at night: they stole all he had, less than $100. He left a 15 year old daughter behind.
Yes, I do love South FL and I suffered from my move north. But my children are better off here. Of course there is evil and danger everywhere. But in some places there are more of those anyway.
V.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 05:33 PM

CHELSAE, I did not think that of you at all. I was answering to Fauve, but even that seemed to be just one of the much too common e-mail misunderstanding, or extra sensitivities.......
V

Old 02-09-2009, 11:42 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
vviolin,

I am so, so, so sorry to hear about your friends. I love that area. That is just a nightmare.

Your concerns all make complete sense. Again I apologize for how I came across. I think because I participate in so many debates online, that my normal tone has turned caustic by reflex! I'm going to have to check that at the door - thanks for making me aware of it.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
vviolin,

I am so, so, so sorry to hear about your friends. I love that area. That is just a nightmare.

Your concerns all make complete sense. Again I apologize for how I came across. I think because I participate in so many debates online, that my normal tone has turned caustic by reflex! I'm going to have to check that at the door - thanks for making me aware of it.
I am glad we got to chat, Fauve. Some people on these boards are so rough, and that's not you, I tend to be too sensitive. It happens more on the CT board than here, actually. I have always thought that the lack of sun does nothing good to your mood...and that's why I love S. FL. To the people, and I was one of those, who think S. FL is rough, I'd say come and experience the northeastern "reservation".

Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 AM

188 posts, read 587,854 times
It is refreshing to see the above posts. So many times people get blasted for innocent comments that get taken out of context and misunderstood. Thanks Fauve and Vvolin for working it out!

Old 02-10-2009, 07:59 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Hey tankev - so for girls night out - Fauve and Momma Bear are joining us - sound good?

Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 AM

188 posts, read 587,854 times
Sounds great, I could use some friends down here. I know they are local and know the ins and outs of this area. Just tell me the time and place!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Hey tankev - so for girls night out - Fauve and Momma Bear are joining us - sound good?
Hey, how is it I am not invited? I'll be down there next week!

Old 02-10-2009, 11:34 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,765,686 times
Oh honey - I'm still in NYC - I probably won't be there until May some time. If you are around you are welcome to come - the more the merrier.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:10 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times
In response to the OP, if you want a fast-paced area you have to move to Miami. Miami is much more fast-paced than Broward County. You say that Miami is out of question, but there aren't any other parts of FL where you'll find a fast-paced lifestyle. I would call Broward County medium-paced, but the areas you are looking to move to (Pembroke Pines and Coral Springs) are slower paced. There is much more to do in Eastern Broward County in the city of Fort Lauderdale, Fort Lauderdale Beach, Hollywood, Pompano, etc. But in Western Broward there is really no difference between Pembroke Pines and Coral Springs. As someone else pointed out, a bunch of cookie-cutter housing developments very spread out from one another, and no public transportation to speak of. You will need a car to get around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area