Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2009, 10:08 AM

22 posts, read 69,623 times

Advertisements

I just moved down here 4 months ago from New England after taking a job in Boca Raton. My family will be joining me in about a month as we have just sold our house.

Right now I am staying with a friend in Boynton Beach, but with a 6 & 9 year old we need to find the right neighborhood/schools for the kids. The two communities we have it narrowed down to are Wellington and Coral Springs. Commute wise I don't think there is a huge difference during work hours. I've been told by many, as I work for the police department, that both have good schools and neighborhoods.

We seem to like the Coral Springs neighborhoods, house look and feel a little more than wellington, but again not sure.

Anyone have "GOOD" advise to pass along and not just the "it's bad all over Florida line"?

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 11:11 AM

12 posts, read 35,761 times
Default Wellington Vs Coral Springs

I've lived in both areas. Lived in Wellington from 1998-2004 and it has its ups and downs. It's a nice town, schools are rated good, clean area... but.. getting to Wellington or going east is horrible because you are so far west. The town is split with 1/2 normal middle class people who are good people and then the other half as the pompos wealthy that walk with their nose in the air and look down at everyone. More than likely if you have kids, you'll have to deal with these people. Not fun. Also, I grew up around Wellington and let me just say that don't let the exterior fool you. There is a "bad" part of town and drugs are all over the place especially the high school kids with their mercedes and bmw's. A lot of bad influences because their parents are too busy to keep them in line.

Now Coral Springs... Another town with hidden problems. There are tons of gangs in Coral Springs if you can call them that. Basically a bunch of punk kids with nothing better to do. The area is not what it used to be. There is a BIG stretch of homes on Coral Springs Drive that are getting run down and looks like the class of people who are moving in goes down every year and then you have the posh morons who pretend to have perfect families when most are just as screwed up as the rest of us. Personally I wouldn't move there because...

You have 2 great areas right by it that are better and have "A" schools. Look into Parkland and Coconut Creek. We have lived in Coconut Creek since 2004 and I have no complaints. We love this area and are glad we didn't move to Coral Springs like we intially wanted to. Just make sure you move into the Winston Park or Tradewinds School District with Lyons Creek Middle as the Junior high. Trust me, you'll love it here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area