Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2009, 08:58 PM

263 posts, read 574,474 times

Advertisements

Men racing hit tourists crossing the street and both cars take off and flee the scene. Werent we just talking about all the hit and runs in S FL like last week? Another "coincidence" I guess, right?

Senseless Hit-and-Run Kills Two in Fort Lauderdale | Transit Miami

Last edited by Pooring Footers; 02-14-2009 at 09:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2009, 09:43 PM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Men racing hit tourists crossing the street and both cars take off and flee the scene. Werent we just talking about all the hit and runs in S FL like last week? Another "coincidence" I guess, right?

Senseless Hit-and-Run Kills Two in Fort Lauderdale | Transit Miami
Yup, I posted it earlier in the insurance question thread.

It gives all porsche drivers a bad name now.

Old 02-15-2009, 07:54 AM

S FL should be called "the hit and run capital", and anyone who disagrees is in denial. The amont of hit and runs in S FL is astonnishing.

Old 02-15-2009, 12:06 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
The only clear solution is to move to North Carolina.

Old 02-15-2009, 03:14 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
The only clear solution is to move to North Carolina.
That was funny !!!!! ... I wonder what all of the natives up there think of us jaded Floridians moving up there ?

Old 02-15-2009, 04:17 PM

There are tons of Floridians up there! They all like it a lot from the ones I hear from and used to talk to a lot. The natives up there may mind it a little, because many of them are the cranky transplants from up north, but because they have a FL plate, they assume they are Floridians, when they clearly are not. NC is in many areas a large mix of people, so it's not like "Floridians" really stick out.

And yes, Compelled, the people, the driving, and the hit and runs are definitely a much better situation than down here in FL. Too many criminals and malcontents are drawn to FL, so it's hard for FL to keep up with a place like NC when it comes to quality of life, etc.

Compelled, what do you think of the awful hit and run situation in S FL? What will stop this from being a major problem that it already is? Cameras at all intersections and street lights?

Old 02-16-2009, 03:42 PM

Any ideas Compelled?

Old 02-16-2009, 04:31 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Any ideas Compelled?
Sorry, I spent all my free time before on a post in the Miami forum (lol).

First of all, enforcement of our crosswalk laws couldn't hurt, especially in the more urban areas (like Ft. Lauderdale beach). It's rare to see someone actually stop for a pedestrian in a crosswalk down here, but what's even more rare is seeing a traffic officer enforcing the rules of the crosswalk. They need to get some police out there in key places to make sure motorists stop. Some more signage couldn't hurt either, kind of like the bold pedestal-style you see at the Ft. Lauderdale airport indicating that all motorists must stop for pedestrians in crosswalk. I have seen those in almost every crosswalk in New Jersey, for example.

Some kind of surveillance system couldn't hurt either, but that gets to be pricey. Maybe something like the red light cameras, where the city makes a contract with a company to install the cameras and issues fines for those who don't stop. I haven't seen any system like that, but don't see why it couldn't be done.

Another solution could be to post traffic signals at crosswalks. I see these in residential neighborhoods all over Broward County, but not as much in the higher-volume areas. There are a few here and there, but more couldn't hurt.

In this tragic case, surveillance would have been the best solution.

Old 02-16-2009, 04:44 PM

I know it'd be expensive, but I say, in places like S FL where hit and runs and not stopping for pedestrians is so prevelant, put cameras on all street lights at high traffic areas. But this probably still wouldnt totally solve the problem, because the lunatics and angry aggressives are still gonna live and breed in S FL.

Old 02-18-2009, 10:12 AM

789 posts, read 2,563,037 times
Default Stats for the last 9 years...

Porsche hit and run: Fort Lauderdale police identify owner of Porsche that fatally hit pair and fled. -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area