Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you risk moving to S Florida for a teaching position?
No. 5 29.41%
No, even if I had a guaranteed contarct. 4 23.53%
Yes, but only with an iron-clad contract. 4 23.53%
Yes. 4 23.53%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 12:45 PM

8 posts, read 28,662 times

Advertisements

I did see a posting from a teacher in North Carolina about moving from that state to Broward to continue their teaching career. And then I realized the original posting was from November, 2007.

If you do happen to be a teacher anywhere but South Florida and you have a current job, don't even think about moving here. There aren't any jobs and there won't be any jobs in the future - or at least for the experienced teacher.

The Broward County School Board is notorious for making dishonest and deceptive claims regarding employment.

For example:

"Become a National Board Certified Teacher and we'll pay you up to a $7,000 bonus". Nope, school board has lots of administrators and useless clerical staff but teachers won't get this as promised.

"Perfect Attendance Bonus" Nixed after end of school year in 2007.

"We'll pay you for your experience." R U kidding? Experienced and qualified teachers are being fired almost daily and are being replaced with substitute teachers - they earn about $78 per day. Very easy way to balance the school's budget.

Florida is a right to work state so the union is laughable at best.

To make matters even worse, the "hiring" of teachers is not being done by the school board but by the principal of the individual school to which you are making application. And they will only hire those teachers that are non-licensed, pay a kick-back or are a blood relative.

The first thing you have to learn when reviewing the "job postings" on the Broward website is that most of the openings either don't exist or, if they do/did, they've already been filled via nepotism. This is known as asking if the "job is real or not".

Dade county is asking the teachers to work "free days". That's right, no pay!

Palm Beach county has had a hiring freeze since last fall. Vacancies are not being filled at all. Subs earn almost nothing so they use them instead.

And, if by a miracle a real job opens up and it isn't already filled by the principal's neice, expect there to be 1300 to 1500 applications/resumes submitted.

This is partially sour grapes because I was recruited here, paid a decent salary and then terminated due to "declining enrollment". With 22 years of experience, they can fire me and hire 3 subs for the same money.

So if you've got a teaching job somewhere else, take my advice and stay there!

Big
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2009, 03:04 PM

263 posts, read 574,532 times
I think a teacher would have to be crazy to leave his/her job in NC for a teaching job in South FL.

Old 02-18-2009, 03:34 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,655,049 times
I am a TA. The district where I work posts in BOLD PRINT on their employment section that all new hires will only receive ONE YEAR CONTRACTS and that this does not apply to current staff members. Last year they cut positions (teachers also). It was based solely on your seniority with the school district. We had teachers with over 15 years teaching experience, but few years with this district, who were "bumped" for others with less experience and more years with this particular district. In fact, there was a guidance counselor who hadn't taught in a classroom for 15 years, who took a teacher's job away who had only been with the district for 2 years, but had 20 years teaching experience. The parents loved this teacher. When I went to the eye doctor for an appointment, the nurse chewed my ear off about the cutting of this teacher.

You want to come here right now and have your job end after only a year? No, I cannot show links or statistics about this. They would never POST anything like this, but it happened and only an "insider" would know it.

Sorry, I cannot PROVE this (as some posters want). You will just have to take my word for it. It's not something the district would WANT anyone to know.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:18 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,928,114 times
I'm glad NYC is getting a lot of money. The school I teach at is Title 1, so we're getting extra money. I think NYC teachers are some of the safest teaching jobs to have. Since we have a strong union, they really can't get away with layoffs.

Old 02-18-2009, 06:47 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,764,184 times
I agree Rachel - now it is the time to get the teachers we actually need - not the ones who have no desire to teach!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:24 PM

202 posts, read 538,997 times
My wife is in her 7th year teaching in Broward, she loves it, feels very secure, has a great administration behind her and most importantly loves her job. Nobody is going anywhere, and they actually just hired a new 2nd grade teacher, as well as 2 more ESE teachers. Last ones in are the first ones out but your seniority follows you within in district. This is from another "insider", so I'm not sure where your getting your info. She said that yes, its harder than years past to get a job but nobody at work is worried about their position. Don't believe the hype of the media.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:41 AM

LukeB321: Just thank your lucky stars that your wife does have a job and, in fact, in her seventh year she then falls under the personal services contract. With a PSC your job is just a little more secure, but can change in a heartbeat if the budget needs trimming. And, yes, saw two recent posts for 2nd Grade Teachers that were "Interim" and "Balance of Year ONLY". The applications for these positions totaled 800+. Listen to the media? Hardly. This is based on my experiences alone. My original post was to inform District Newbies trying to get a job here and not a condemnation of those teachers that already have jobs. But I am curious, your spouse has 7 years teaching in Broward and/or 7 years teaching total? Once you get to have 20+ years experience, the pay scale increases and you then become cannon fodder.

Old 02-19-2009, 09:43 AM

LukeB321: Forgot to ask - Is she National Board Certified? And, if so, how does she feel about not getting the $7,000 she was promised?

Old 02-19-2009, 10:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,361,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I'm glad NYC is getting a lot of money. The school I teach at is Title 1, so we're getting extra money. I think NYC teachers are some of the safest teaching jobs to have. Since we have a strong union, they really can't get away with layoffs.
IF things get bad enough and the company can justify it, there is little to nothing a union can do to stop that. You just have to hope and pray there isn't a huge population decline and student enrollment goes down significantly. If that happens, all bets are off. That is what is happening in South Florida, you are seeing population (young families) leave south Florida. With them go student enrollment, property taxes etc

Old 02-19-2009, 01:01 PM

202 posts, read 538,997 times
She has 7yrs in Broward and total, she started here.

I'm just confused, teachers with 3 years or more have their psc and aren't worried about layoffs. There are so many things being done before layoffs are even being discussed. Cutting the amount of sport games per high school, not adopting new textbook series, etc. The only noticeable cutback in her school is the lack of supplies. She recently had to buy her own copy paper but already got refunded. Besides that everybody is happy and feels they have one of the more secure jobs out there. As far as those veteran teachers, she has never heard of one being cut to be replaced by "cheaperr" labor. They are there for the long haul. I feel very secure having my wife as a teacher - probably one of the the most secure, especially in Fl.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area