Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2007, 09:30 AM

28 posts, read 151,924 times

Advertisements

Hows the crime, housing, and people. I hear that is just as mad as Miami from some people but some people tell me its miami's opposite. Please help me , thanks, pictures and experiences are appreciated
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 09:45 AM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
Fort Lauderdale is not bad..... ofcourse it is getting congested and traffic is getting worse but that is true with every other metropolitian city. I personally prefer Southern Palm Beach (Boca, Delray, Boynton) area and moved here couple of yrs ago. However I am still within commuitng distance to Fort Lauderdale and go there almost everyday......

Old 03-18-2007, 10:45 AM

170 posts, read 285,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeNJ View Post
Hows the crime, housing, and people. I hear that is just as mad as Miami from some people but some people tell me its miami's opposite. Please help me , thanks, pictures and experiences are appreciated
Kick me if you must for saying this, but compared to Miami, I actually LIKE Fort Lauderdale.

Old 03-18-2007, 10:51 AM

578 posts, read 3,062,868 times
When i visited Miami i visited Fort Lauderdale i thought it was cleaner and better than miami although i like miami, Fort Lauderdale seemed more welcoming but i was only visiting.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:11 AM

518 posts, read 2,225,536 times
Fort Lauderdale has a bit "less" of everything that Miami has -- less congestion, less crime, less governmental corruption. Miami's type of problems are there, just not quite as much of a presence.

The main problem here is that city has become a playground for the rich with all the high-rise condos that have been built since 2000 and housing prices still are through the roof, even after a yearlong slump. That can be said for most of South Florida, of course. There are a lot of desperate sellers, though, and you might be able to get a good deal if you work at it.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:29 AM

355 posts, read 1,583,006 times
You may want to consider other cities within Broward County, but not in Ft. Lauderdale itself. Hollywood, especially east of US1, Pembroke Pines, Weston, Cooper City, Davie, Southwest Ranches, Plantation, Sunrise, Coral Springs, Parkland. You can go to the Broward County Schools web page and check out how the schools are in each area. I live in Cooper City, and we have wonderful schools, the area is nice as well. Not perfect, but very nice.

Old 03-19-2007, 07:45 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Basically the closer you get to Miami the worse everything is. Broward county is close enough to have some of the problems of Miami and some of it's insane attitudes. Yet the farther you get from Miami and the closer to America you are the better Florida is. English is still the dominant language in many parts of Broward county and even in parts of Ft Lauderdale. That cannot be truthfully said about Miami.

Old 03-19-2007, 06:05 PM

170 posts, read 285,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Basically the closer you get to Miami the worse everything is. Broward county is close enough to have some of the problems of Miami and some of it's insane attitudes. Yet the farther you get from Miami and the closer to America you are the better Florida is. English is still the dominant language in many parts of Broward county and even in parts of Ft Lauderdale. That cannot be truthfully said about Miami.
To sum it all up, Broward County (including Ft. Lauderdale) is America, Miami-Dade isn't (from a foreigner's perspective).

Old 03-19-2007, 08:41 PM

929 posts, read 1,156,120 times
best thing about broward?

theres white people

there. i said it

Old 03-19-2007, 09:25 PM

201 posts, read 983,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
best thing about broward?

theres white people

there. i said it

You should say "Anglos " , as many Hispanics are "White " so if you want to say something borderline racist , at least say it properly .

Broward has its large population of Hispanics and except for Pembroke Pines it has a very small Cuban population ... which makes it refreshing not to have to be bombarded with their politics and overly aggressive attitudes .

That said I liked the second and third generation Cuban Americans who I went to college with and who not surprisingly have also left Miami ... it is many of the Cubans who have arrived in the last 5 ,10 , 15 years that are a different breed and disliked even by the original Cuban Americans who came here 45 years ago .Many of these recent arrivals are crass , loud , ghetto , no family values , and have no work ethic ... just what you would expect from people raised in Communist Cuba !!!

Cixel many of these are what you probably encounter in Homestead , man you should have done your homework before moving here from California ... you should have stayed home and just moved to Santa Ana or Compton
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area