Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 01:32 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,675,745 times

Advertisements

I guess I was trying to make the point that in this country now, in order to ensure your kids have it better than you, it is necessary to work your butt off, and still not expect to afford luxuries.

When I was a kid, I grew up the daughter of an unmarried schoolteacher. We lived on the upper east side, I went to summer camp and she travelled internationally every year. Private college for me cost her $3K a year. She retired with a great NYC pension and social security. Those days are over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 01:34 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
I know but that really sucks - I swear sometimes, I hate being an adult.

Old 02-23-2009, 07:44 PM

717 posts, read 2,798,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Chelsa1075 .. let me "cut to the chase" if you live in Cooper City , Weston , most of Davie , most of Coral Springs , Boca Raton , Parkland , or Wellington you will most likely enjoy it down here . There are many nice people down here , not all drivers are crazy ... yes the area has its problems , which area does not ... but we are happy here , have made great friends of all races and ethnicities , there is excellent shopping , restaurants , parks , beaches close by and no NC and Georgia are not the new paradises that many posters here claim they are .
I would also add Coconut Creek to those towns--I stayed in Coconut Creek while I was going to FL College of Natural Health in Pompano--I loved Coconut Creek! Great Location...not quite as congested as Coral Springs & Boca, but smack in the middle of both of them,,,

Old 02-23-2009, 07:48 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,736,695 times
Journey - Coconut Creeks schools are not so good and I have 2 little ones to consider.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:53 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,422,346 times
Gee, you mean there is actually somebody who doesn't like North Carolina? Go figure that. I was beginning to think that the messiah was coming there.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:26 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,281,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Gee, you mean there is actually somebody who doesn't like North Carolina? Go figure that. I was beginning to think that the messiah was coming there.
they are still coming here in droves..what can I say, yes our property taxes are cheaper, at least in the county im in, However eventually they will go up, charlotte taxes are high but unlike the north its concered cheap..food here is outrageous, our car insurance and homeowners is cheaper alot cheaper, but we pay property taxes on cars, and our sales tax is on everything and u also pay 2 taxes on food shopping...our homes are alot less and are getting nice s footage for the money..But again there are alot of issues but alot of people still think its utopia...and its not that we dont like it its beautiful here, it just doesnt fit our needs that is all..

Old 02-24-2009, 09:11 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsajourney View Post
I would also add Coconut Creek to those towns--I stayed in Coconut Creek while I was going to FL College of Natural Health in Pompano--I loved Coconut Creek! Great Location...not quite as congested as Coral Springs & Boca, but smack in the middle of both of them,,,
Yes Coconut Creek is nice ... had dinner with my wife last week at the new Coconut Creek Promenade a smaller version of Pembroke Gardens with high end shopping and dining ... yes Coconut Creek does have very nice areas

Old 02-24-2009, 09:13 PM

Berryjuice--I will second all of what you say. I could not believe how epensive groceries were in Raleigh--there is no other way to say it than "outrageous".

Chelsea--I didn't know that about CC schools. My kids stayed in Orlando with Dad while I was down there. If I end up back down there, they would proably stay here to finish--but good to know. Thanks

Old 02-24-2009, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Yes Coconut Creek is nice ... had dinner with my wife last week at the new Coconut Creek Promenade a smaller version of Pembroke Gardens with high end shopping and dining ... yes Coconut Creek does have very nice areas
I'm leaving for Miami area tomorrow for 5 days to look around again--where is Coconut Creek Promenade at? I want to be sure and check it out. I loved Coconut Creek--just never had to deal with traffic issues.

Old 02-25-2009, 05:49 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,055,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

North Carolina , is going to have an amazing amount of problems in the next five years , that may even rival South Florida in some respects . The illegal immigration issue is getting worse every year , the state is being flooded with people from everywhere mainly disgruntled South Floridians and "half backs " from New York , New Jersey and Connecticut bringing with them non "Southern" attitudes ... the job market especially in Charlotte with the banking industry is being hit hard ... our neighbors who moved back from Raleigh less then a year ago also maintain that the locals are beginning to show resentment towards the new arrivals and that in certain cities and towns there are already tensions due to the perception that their way of life is being threatened by these "invaders" .

I think North Carolina especially is a beautiful state and a great place to vacation , but I have never been particularly enamored with the idea of living there .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area