Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 04:37 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times

Advertisements

Let me add why MOST people leave where they are from: they think the grass is greener on the other side, and most of the time they cant afford to stay where they live...I think 1/2 the state of florida amoung NYkers and NJerians and Ohio people oh cant forget about the Cali people live between charlotte and Raleigh...at the end of the day because they think its CHEAP...again, CHEAP isnt always the best way to live....People also dont have choices because of their Jobs....but u just wait and see when the boom comes again to charlotte because it will, people that moved here in droves wont want to stay once the economy gets better, and yes u will actually see people moving back to florida..and other places...I can see not going up north because I know I hate the winters....and In my dh's job search I have to tell, HIS contacts that have live in Boca and Weston area absoultely love it there...yes it isnt cheap to live on florida but again there will be no where cheap to live anymore

Let me also add, yes we live in a prodomantly white area, however growing up in Brooklyn NY and even living in NJ it was diversified and u know what at least I grew up with culture...there isnt any culture here in NC, and alot of people say that....Again people have different things they want in life, what suits you or the next person might not suit me or my family...

Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone, calm down... what I meant was, I could see why a person would want to move back to Miami if they were Cuban (to be around Cubans). But I cant really see that many white folks wanting to move to Miami. That's all. People, whether they admit it or not, most like to be around people that have the same color skin. Like it or not, most people feel more comfortable that way. With that being said, I can see why someone would leave a place like NC for a place like Miami, especially if Cuban.

If I were cuban, I would probably enjoy a place like Miami, or other parts of S FL. Not so sure what the big deal is and why I am getting bombarded with these comments. I never said, "All Cubans should live in Miami," or "whites dont like S FL." All I said was, "I could see why........" Notice how I phrase it, meaning, it's my opinion.
You originally posted "why would anyone move back to South Florida from NC ", you did not say "why would anyone move back to Miami from NC " excuse me but there is a huge difference . I would not exchange anywhere in NC for Parkland , Weston , Wellington or Jupiter ... just my opinion . I hate when people here mix and match South Florida and Miami on these forums ... I think that there are areas in South Florida that are a world removed from Miami ... compare Stuart or Palm City with Miami .. you may was well be in different states .

Old 02-25-2009, 07:22 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,584 times
That was very nicely said - you know that my experience has been both - some people leave NY or the NE for Florida come back up here and then are like yuck, we really don't want to be here and go back south. There also people who come back and say I'll never leave again. Different strokes for different folks. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Some people live there whole life in the city and are never at home here and some people live there whole life in the country and are never country, it really is just a matter of what you want out of the place that you live. Personally, I will love the simplicity of a different place. I don't think I'll love not having a whole lot of options for food, but that just means I'll cook more - LOL - it'll be a money saver :-)

Old 02-25-2009, 09:29 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,391,510 times
Well, I left South Florida for Northern Florida for 3 years of grad school. I even bought property up there. I really like the weather in North Florida, and the interesting topography compared to S. Florida, but something was missing, and I decided to "go home" after I graduated, instead of going into the Jacksonville, Atlanta, and Tallahassee markets for work after school (which actually would have been easier to break into than the long distance thing I had to do).

Though I feel I could live most anywhere and find a way to be happy and make it work without 1/100th of the moaning from unhappy Floridians on this forum, in South Florida I feel more connected to the world, for good and bad than I did in Tallahassee. (3 good airports within an hour or so of each other)....I missed the palm trees, green grass in the winter, blue waters, old Spanish women who say, "Joo have a nice day" at Publix... Mediterranean and Spanish style architecture, and yes, even fake women with their gaudy luxury purses and surgically enhanced bosoms and lips.... it's home!!

Who knows, maybe someday I'll have a desire to experience different climes and environs.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:38 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
anyone left Southern Florida...and then wanted to come back? and what happened?
I have a friend who moved from NYC to Florida, then from Florida to Atlanta and his wife hates Atlanta. So now she wants him to move back but he said thats not going to happen. The whole cost of living thing.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,370,579 times
we looked into Atlanta/Alpharetta, as dh has been speaking with a few company's and were told its not cheap to live in the "GOOD AREAS" and its expensive, which is why we choose florida, if its going to cost us more money rather be somewhere that fits our family's needs

Old 02-25-2009, 10:13 AM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooring Footers View Post
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!! Everyone, calm down... what I meant was, I could see why a person would want to move back to Miami if they were Cuban (to be around Cubans). But I cant really see that many white folks wanting to move to Miami. That's all. People, whether they admit it or not, most like to be around people that have the same color skin. Like it or not, most people feel more comfortable that way. With that being said, I can see why someone would leave a place like NC for a place like Miami, especially if Cuban.

If I were cuban, I would probably enjoy a place like Miami, or other parts of S FL. Not so sure what the big deal is and why I am getting bombarded with these comments. I never said, "All Cubans should live in Miami," or "whites dont like S FL." All I said was, "I could see why........" Notice how I phrase it, meaning, it's my opinion.
You might be forgetting that this isn't the Miami of 1970, white non-Hispanics are not leaving Miami, in fact they're coming back. Miami-Dade County as a whole is about 20% White Non-Hispanic and that's grown since the 2000 Census. In fact, the Hispanic population dropped from 64% of the population to 61%. White non-Hispanics are as welcome here as everyone else, especially when they make up the majority in many places in Miami-Dade. I know you understand this, I just thought I'd bring some numbers into this to show Miami's diversity.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:25 AM

3,225 posts, read 8,570,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
..I missed the palm trees, green grass in the winter, ..........., and yes, even fake women with their gaudy luxury purses and surgically enhanced bosoms and lips.... it's home!!
be thankful that's all that's surgically enhanced down there.....lol.....i mean down there as in South Florida.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:59 AM

247 posts, read 1,289,870 times
Moved from S Fla last year to the burbs of Atlanta. I love, love, love it here and would never move back. I love the seasons, the cheaper cost of living, and the nicer people. (But I do miss Disney World, oh well)

Old 02-25-2009, 11:22 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
Moved from S Fla last year to the burbs of Atlanta. I love, love, love it here and would never move back. I love the seasons, the cheaper cost of living, and the nicer people. (But I do miss Disney World, oh well)
The OP asked about people who moved back to So Fl and are happy. Let's not let this slip into another So Fl sucks thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area