Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 07:52 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
Did anyone label this guy a racist ...I most have missed that post
That's what was being implied.....but I simply didn't see anything wrong with what he wrote. As human beings, it's only natural that many of us tend to stick to what's "familiar", in this case, people who speak our language, share common beliefs and share similar interests.

I have lived in Dade county for almost 7 years and can honestly say that I do not have one single friend here (I have friends out of state), and not for lack of trying. I've simply realized that it's not just me...I simply have little (or nothing) in common with most people here.

I also agree with Footers that a Cuban or Latin American individual who doesn't have a good grasp of English and who can't assimilate into mainstream American culture would be very unhappy in somewhere like NC, while on the flip side, someone from Charlotte would probably be very miserable in Hialeah.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:07 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
That's what was being implied.....but I simply didn't see anything wrong with what he wrote. As human beings, it's only natural that many of us tend to stick to what's "familiar", in this case, people who speak our language, share common beliefs and share similar interests.

I have lived in Dade county for almost 7 years and can honestly say that I do not have one single friend here (I have friends out of state), and not for lack of trying. I've simply realized that it's not just me...I simply have little (or nothing) in common with most people here.

I also agree with Footers that a Cuban or Latin American individual who doesn't have a good grasp of English and who can't assimilate into mainstream American culture would be very unhappy in somewhere like NC, while on the flip side, someone from Charlotte would probably be very miserable in Hialeah.

Great point BC. That's what I think Footer was trying to say. I didn't see it as racist, it just wasn't worded correctly. That's what I gathered from his statement.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:08 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,243,693 times
Smile South Florida

I grew up mostly in South Florida starting in the middle school years but years later, after college and working, friendships start to change.

BCreas, I met my true friends through volunteering and finding things I liked to do. My mom always said - there is someone you can help and you will feel better - and I did.

(especially when I help the 4 legged kind, ha, ha)

Old 02-25-2009, 08:41 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
So according to you there are no Cuban Caucasians ?

You seem like a smart person , but the more of your posts I read the more your ugly side emerges .... by the way your comment above is amazingly ignorant . You do realize that there are many Hispanic Caucasians and that Hispanic is not a race ?

By the way we have two neighbors here in Parkland that both moved back to South Florida from Raleigh - Durham NC & Columbia SC ... both missed South Florida were unhappy in the Carolinas and yes both are white americans .
It's funny you mention this. I have a few friends that don't believe Cubans (any Hispanics for that matter) can be white. These people I mention are white. I try to explain what you just did to them, but many feel the way Footer does. It's not uncommon. I asked them, if they see someone with blonde hair and blues eyes (caucasian), and the person tells them they're Cuban, they dismiss that person as a white Hispanic. The fact that their race may be white goes out the window. This is not the first time I hear this. I don't take it too seriously. Don't make it an issue either. Some people you can try to show them the light, but they won't budge. Nothing aimed at you Footer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
I have a friend who moved from NYC to Florida, then from Florida to Atlanta and his wife hates Atlanta. So now she wants him to move back but he said thats not going to happen. The whole cost of living thing.
I know plenty of people that moved to Atlanta, GA and would not come back down here for anything either. I asked them, even if offered more money, most answered NO!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
Moved from S Fla last year to the burbs of Atlanta. I love, love, love it here and would never move back. I love the seasons, the cheaper cost of living, and the nicer people. (But I do miss Disney World, oh well)
Never say never, but I know plenty of people that would agree with you. Disney is only 6 hours away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
The OP asked about people who moved back to So Fl and are happy. Let's not let this slip into another So Fl sucks thread!
I dont think it was going there. He did answer the question. He's one of many who moved out of Florida and would not move back for anything, well, except for Mickey and Goofy!

Old 02-25-2009, 09:12 PM

23 posts, read 73,972 times
I too know a lot of people in the North Georgia area. They seem to really like it, and many of them are from FL too. We visited, and definitely a lot of traffic, but it doesnt have the aggressive mentality that is very present throughout many areas in Florida. Also, the hills and tall trees are nice to look at. I dislike the fact, that so often in FL, trees are cut and houses are stacked on top of one another.

Old 02-25-2009, 09:29 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,293,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuitarNhand View Post
I too know a lot of people in the North Georgia area. They seem to really like it, and many of them are from FL too. We visited, and definitely a lot of traffic, but it doesnt have the aggressive mentality that is very present throughout many areas in Florida. Also, the hills and tall trees are nice to look at. I dislike the fact, that so often in FL, trees are cut and houses are stacked on top of one another.
I've actually driven in Atlanta a couple of times. Yes, traffic is insane, but the drivers aren't anywhere near as crazy/reckless as they are in South Florida and if you commit a traffic violation in GA, expect to feel the wrath of local law enforcement, that's all I can say!

Old 02-26-2009, 05:22 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,448 times
Quote:

The way you explain it , makes more sense and in fact is logical , the other guy sounded bigoted , bitter and jaded and he does not even live in South Florida . My issue though is the way the Miami and Ft.Lauderdale forums are so easily and arbitrarily interchanged . I enjoy visiting Miami and going down there with my wife from time to time to have fun , but I WOULD NOT live there or raise a family there , but I stand firm that South Florida has other fine areas to live and raise a family in and are a world apart from Miami . I find it unfair when posters criticize Miami and then through in "South Florida " in the same sentence ... how can you even put Miami and cities like Weston , Parkland , Boca Raton , Wellington , Cooper City , Jupiter or Palm Beach Gardens in the same sentence . I have read on these forums where an OP inquires about the quality of life in Palm Beach Gardens and some yahoo in Peachtree City , Ga responds with how much "Miami sucks " and how third world it is , when PBG and Miami are not only 100 miles apart but may as well be worlds apart . I realize that South Florida has many issues , but to denigrate the entire area over the sins of Miami is just wrong and I see that on here over and over .

Old 02-26-2009, 06:01 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
People are forgetting its a personal choice...When we left NJ yeah there are a ton of things we didnt like, but there were things that we did like, like the boardwalk being 35-40 min away, great restaurants and shopping. and close to my family..Unfortantely its way to expensive to live there and well the Winters Suck...We moved to NC yes it is beautiful, we needed a change for our family and while we are flooded with Northereners and Floridians, and ohioians it works for some people and it doesnt work for others..The main problem is people keep running and running to find where they will be happy and in the end, there is no perfect place so if it works for you and your family's needs then great, but IM so sick and tired of people basing where they CAME from beacause either they cant afford to live there or they just arent happy and think "oh well everyone is moving there so maybe we should" Where we live we have excellent schools and I dont have anything negative to say other than it isnt a fit for us and its time to move on...and I will say it again Cheap isnt always the way to go...

Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 AM

23 posts, read 73,972 times
Default Yes

Absolutely! The traffic was bad, but drivers are far more courteous and well-behaved. And rarely honk.

Quote:
I've actually driven in Atlanta a couple of times. Yes, traffic is insane, but the drivers aren't anywhere near as crazy/reckless as they are in South Florida and if you commit a traffic violation in GA, expect to feel the wrath of local law enforcement, that's all I can say!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:06 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times
closed for mod review
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area