Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:26 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times

Advertisements

Anywhere along the 441 corridor between 595 up to Sample Rd. (about a 10-mile stretch), and between University Dr. on the west, and US1 on the east, is pretty shady. We are talking about a 10-mile by 10-mile box of Broward County that is very shady to say the least. So if you are looking to move to Fort Lauderdale and/or surrounding Broward County, and you want a nice, safe area, live West of University and East of US1 as a general rule of thumb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 07:30 PM

326 posts, read 1,452,728 times
I do not know what you are comfortable with, but I would not be comfortable in most neighborhoods in the cities you have mentioned. This doe snot mean the entire cities are unsafe or run down, but any area that would not be that way would also be much too close to trouble.

Rentals and real estates may be cheaper there, but there is a reason. On the other hand, there are safer areas that are cheaper than others, you just have to look into places where a woman would walk safely at night from her car to her house without feeling in danger.

With that said, a friend of mine was killed doing just that last August in east Hollywood, in the safe and wealthy Hollywood Lakes neighborhood. it is South Florida, after all. That's why choosing a house you have to concentrate on those areas that are considered safe by most people's standards.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:34 PM

45 posts, read 225,650 times
What you can do is contact the police agency that patrols an area you're interested in. Ask for either their Crime Analysis, or Record's Division. Crime statistics are public record and they should be able to give you information regarding the type of crime, and the amount within their jurisdiction.

Old 03-03-2009, 05:59 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,467,870 times
I was looking to rent an apartment in the area and I kept seeing adds for nice looking apartments in the Fort Lauderdale area for cheap rents. Only problem was once I researched/mapquested the addresses, they were all in Lauderhill, Lauderdale Lakes, and North Lauderdale. The places were really cheap compared to other areas, but it only took a lick of research to realize they were in bad areas. Also, beware of the bait and switch technique that these real-estate agents use to advertise homes/apt's in bad areas by simply calling it "Fort Lauderdale" instead of North lauderdale or Lauderdake Lakes. You really have to do the research and know the neighborhoods in order to not get screwed.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:59 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
There is nothing wrong with North Lauderdale. Yes, there are working class black people there, that doesn't mean it's a high-crime area. Stay off of Kimberly and it's fine. It's certainly safer than most of Ft. Lauderdale, including the supposed safe havens like Coral Ridge and Vic. Park. It's not cheap because of the crime, it's cheap because it's a working class area and working class people have to live somewhere, and not everyone wants to live in some dumpy apartment off of State Road 7 in Hollywood. Also, I wasn't very familiar with Melrose Park, but I had originally thought of it as being a bad areas. Wild Style, however, insisted that it is a mostly quiet area, and after exploring the area a few times, I will confirm that it certainly isn't a scary area at all. Unfortunately, however, these areas ARE close to some much sketchier places.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-07-2009 at 10:14 PM..

Old 08-03-2009, 12:57 PM

8,289 posts, read 23,101,403 times
Thanks for all the great replies.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:41 PM

154 posts, read 552,407 times
Is the Tamarac area considered safe in the Wood Lands Country Club area? I know it's East of University.

Old 08-03-2009, 06:54 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southfl1 View Post
Is the Tamarac area considered safe in the Wood Lands Country Club area? I know it's East of University.
Yes. Just a couple of burglaries.

Old 04-19-2010, 06:13 PM

1 posts, read 4,139 times
Is 3301 spanish moss terrace in inverrary a safe condo complex? or are the surroundings safe?

Old 04-23-2010, 10:26 AM

154 posts, read 552,407 times
Wow, this is an old thread....I see my old post up here before I moved into this area and I'm very happy here....weird I forgot I posted.

Lauderhill isn't all that bad, OK? I think people think that if there are black people that it's dangerous...this is just rascist. My mom lives in Lauderhiill in Inverarry and this area is fantastic. What a great mix of people...Orthodox Jewish, retirees, young familiies, Caribbean. Every Friday night and Saturday you will see Jewish families walking around with children and strollers to the synagogue on 44th Street in Lauderhill.

North Lauderdale borders Coral Springs and Tamarac and yes, there are many black people. It's a working class neighborhood, not the ghetto. I shop here, get gas here as well as in Tamarac. I'm never afraid either.

Oh yes, I used to live in a gated community in the Weston/Davie area.....we had so many break-ins and car burglaries. The police were giving updates at every HOA meeting. I can tell you that the gates offer only a false sense of security. I feel very safe here.

Oh yes, so anyway, Inverarry is really a nice area if you find the right complex. Best of luck there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area