Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 08:02 AM

29 posts, read 66,704 times

Advertisements

Hello! My friend and I are considering moving to California or Florida. So I have some questions about Fort Lauderdale. We both have saved about $10 000 each. That makes it $20 000. Is it going to be enough for a start? We both have a bachelor degrees in Sales and Marketing. Can we find some decent jobs there? Is it like Miami in Fort Lauderdale? I mean.. more spanish speaking than English speaking? Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 09:38 AM

763 posts, read 3,531,709 times
Fort Lauderdale is mostly English-speaking as is Miami. Miami just has more bilingual people (Hialeah aside lol). The language issue is not even an issue in any part of Miami (Fort Lauderdale included, so don't worry). People seem to freak out that because half of Miami is Hispanic that automatically, noone can speak English, when that's not true.

Anyways, first and foremost, I'd recommend you find a job first before moving, because as you know, the recession has made it almost impossible to find jobs anywhere in the U.S., so I'd secure a job first and then find a house close to your job. I'd work from there.

Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,707,314 times
I don't think $20,000 is enough to move to Florida or California without a job. You both could eat up that money relatively quickly. Unemployment and cost of living in both places is very, very high.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
The job market here is the worst. Make sure you have a good job lines up before moving here. You will burn through 20K faster than a BigMac after a night of heavy drinking. Also, there are a lot of major differences between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I completely disagree with the last poster. Miami is more like 75% Hispanic, and many people speak exclusively Spanish. Fort Lauderdale has a good number of Hispanics, but is predominantly English speaking. You will never have to learn Spanish to live in Fort Lauderdale. Miami is a different animal altogether. While you can survive on English in Miami to get by, much of the population speaks exclusively Spanish and communication because a problem. The more toursist/educated areas like downtown, Coral Gables, and South Beach, just about everyone speaks English, but vast areas of Miami including Hialeah are almost exlusively Spanish-speaking. Even the suburbia areas like Kendall are dominated by Spanish-speaking people.

I would also add that Fort Lauderdale is way more laid back than Miami. Miami is a very upbeat, vibrant city and people are in a constant rat-race mode between working and going out to clubs/bars. Fort Lauderdale has some of those elements, but overall is slower paced. I don't really know if I can draw any comparisons between Fort Lauderdale/Miami and California, but there are some similarities such as the beaches, good beach weather, beautiful women, lots of people driving around in Mercedes and BMW's, and lots of good places to go out like bars and clubs. Other than that, it depends what part of California you are from.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM

Thank you all for the answers! Of course i will find a job first! I just needed some opinions to see if I have any chances at all... Thanks!

Old 03-02-2009, 04:07 AM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
What type of life style are you use too? If you plan on living the good life on Las Olas,A1A, or east of US1, $20,000 wouldn't be enough. If you guys don't mind living in areas of Sunrise, Tamarac, Wilton Manors, or Oakland Park, you should be fine if you have a job lined up first.

South Florida is a majority ENGLISH speaking area (except for small pockets), please don't believe the hype. I was born and raised in South Florida and only know a couple of word of Spanish and that's because I'm currently living in El Salvador.

Last edited by mental_complex; 03-02-2009 at 04:22 AM..

Old 03-02-2009, 04:14 AM

OK. Thanks! I don't mind living in those areas.

Old 03-02-2009, 04:21 AM

568 posts, read 1,478,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The job market here is the worst. Make sure you have a good job lines up before moving here. You will burn through 20K faster than a BigMac after a night of heavy drinking. Also, there are a lot of major differences between Miami and Fort Lauderdale. I completely disagree with the last poster. Miami is more like 75% Hispanic, and many people speak exclusively Spanish. Fort Lauderdale has a good number of Hispanics, but is predominantly English speaking. You will never have to learn Spanish to live in Fort Lauderdale. Miami is a different animal altogether. While you can survive on English in Miami to get by, much of the population speaks exclusively Spanish and communication because a problem. The more toursist/educated areas like downtown, Coral Gables, and South Beach, just about everyone speaks English, but vast areas of Miami including Hialeah are almost exlusively Spanish-speaking. Even the suburbia areas like Kendall are dominated by Spanish-speaking people.

I would also add that Fort Lauderdale is way more laid back than Miami. Miami is a very upbeat, vibrant city and people are in a constant rat-race mode between working and going out to clubs/bars. Fort Lauderdale has some of those elements, but overall is slower paced. I don't really know if I can draw any comparisons between Fort Lauderdale/Miami and California, but there are some similarities such as the beaches, good beach weather, beautiful women, lots of people driving around in Mercedes and BMW's, and lots of good places to go out like bars and clubs. Other than that, it depends what part of California you are from.

Outside of Hialeah and Little Havana you don't have to know Spanish in Miami. Let's remember Miami is a major American tourist spot and ENGLISH is widely spoken.. However; his chances of coming across someone who doesn't speak ENGLISH is greater in Miami than any other part of South Florida. He will have no PROBLEM what so ever finding english speakers in Miami if he needs directions, assistance, or services...

I also like to add, Florida beaches are alot bluer and warmer than the water in Cali.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:51 AM

7 posts, read 49,407 times
I have lived in Cal. and live presently in Fort Lauderdale. The beaches are very different here. The water is like bath water in the summer. The traffic is much lighter compared to Cal. It is very easy to find your way around because the streets are sequential numerically. However, we do have a lot of canals that could throw you off course.

Old 03-02-2009, 08:57 AM

OMG! Thank you all! This means that Florida it is! Can't wait to start looking for a job and move there! Really.. Thanks a lot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area