U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 11:33 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,948,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
For me, the "pros" of South Florida aren't enough to put up with the "cons". If I were younger, single & into clubs & the music scene here, maybe it'd be different. If I didn't have such a short fuse when it comes to the drivers here, that'd help too.
Let me tell you something, there are crappy drivers everywhere! I stayed in Newport, RI for a while, been to Boston, Phila, AC, lived in Cali and Virginia Beach, spent a lot of time in south Jersey at the shore, and currently live in North Jersey where I was born and raised...the traffic and drivers are bad everywhere, and we have too many seniors on the road. A 90 yr old woman just mowed down a 74 yr old man in the parking lot of my local grocery store. Why? Partially because everything around here is old and poorly planned, including the stores and parking lots that can't handle the current volume of people. And if you think you would want to live in Boston, think again..the weather is even more dismal than NJ most of the year, and it's also expensive. I want to come to S Florida even though it's as expensive as NJ, at least I can enjoy being outside more and I will get much more house for the money..as for high utility bills in the summer, beats the $481.02 I paid for last month alone here...

Any place is what you make of it..I know people here who are happy, they like to ski and snowboard. I'm just not a winter sport person, never learned, but I would scuba dive and buy a boat for fishing, tubing, and water skiing, things like that.....maybe when I get there you can hang with me on the new boat I will be buying and learn to water ski and tube and you will like S FL better..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 AM

1,452 posts, read 2,948,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
No place is perfect. It just depends on your taste, family ties, line of work etc. For me living in South Florida is living in Paradise
I'm gonna have to come find you when I get there!!!

Old 03-02-2009, 11:48 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,110,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
No place is perfect. It just depends on your taste, family ties, line of work etc. For me living in South Florida is living in Paradise
There's a dedicated realtor for you. Just don't let her/him charge you a buyer fee! :P

Old 03-02-2009, 11:49 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,110,000 times
nurse,

My father lived in Bloomfield and when I was up there I couldn't wait to get back here. I totally get why you need to get out of there.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:36 PM

244 posts, read 844,355 times
Since I started the thread, I'll post a couple of other things I love about the south Florida area. I love to go saltwater fishing in the intracoastal. Nothing like catching fresh mahi, grouper, snapper, and shrimp and stocking the freezer with delicious fruta di mare. Paying for seafood this fresh in a restaurant or fish shop would cost a mint! I love being able to get nearly any type of cuisine (not just latin food but unusual options like vegan Jamaican food, Korean food, delicious roti, Haitian food, crazy good Indian food, Romanian and other Eastern European food, wild hot dogs from Dogma or Franktitude, especially the salmon dog with crushed plantain chips, wasabi mayo, avocado, and tomato, yummmmm!). Sorry for talking so much about food, I almost went to culinary school when I was younger and I am still very much into cooking and eating. I love the winter weather (even though I know it's only a small part of the year). I like professional sports. I like cruising the boardwalk or beach areas in Miami Beach, Hollywood, and Fort Lauderdale. I LOVE people watching on Lincoln road in SOBE. I love that the First 48 is usually in Miami even though it only perpetuates the image of Miami as a haven for murderers and degenerates (I have a morbid fascination with crime and crime dramas to like The Wire, which I think they should bring back and set in Miami instead of Baltimore). There's other stuff too but I'm pressed for time. Let's keep this thread going people!

Old 03-02-2009, 01:23 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,027,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
Since I started the thread, I'll post a couple of other things I love about the south Florida area. I love to go saltwater fishing in the intracoastal. Nothing like catching fresh mahi, grouper, snapper, and shrimp and stocking the freezer with delicious fruta di mare. Paying for seafood this fresh in a restaurant or fish shop would cost a mint! I love being able to get nearly any type of cuisine (not just latin food but unusual options like vegan Jamaican food, Korean food, delicious roti, Haitian food, crazy good Indian food, Romanian and other Eastern European food, wild hot dogs from Dogma or Franktitude, especially the salmon dog with crushed plantain chips, wasabi mayo, avocado, and tomato, yummmmm!). Sorry for talking so much about food, I almost went to culinary school when I was younger and I am still very much into cooking and eating. I love the winter weather (even though I know it's only a small part of the year). I like professional sports. I like cruising the boardwalk or beach areas in Miami Beach, Hollywood, and Fort Lauderdale. I LOVE people watching on Lincoln road in SOBE. I love that the First 48 is usually in Miami even though it only perpetuates the image of Miami as a haven for murderers and degenerates (I have a morbid fascination with crime and crime dramas to like The Wire, which I think they should bring back and set in Miami instead of Baltimore). There's other stuff too but I'm pressed for time. Let's keep this thread going people!
allllll right man, you gotta DM to tell me where you are catching shrimp! Also you got any blue crab spots?

Old 03-02-2009, 03:20 PM

3,912 posts, read 8,460,626 times
Its funny that someone mentioned clothes as a reason to stay in S. Fla. That is probably the single biggest thing keeping me here. I love being able to wear shorts all year round, and hate having to bundle up in sweaters. I would never be caught dead in something like a turtle-neck. Also, I find it easier to wake up in the mornings here since its warm out than in a colder climate. I actually want to go outside in the mornings and do things outdoors. Now, once the afternoon heat/humidity and thunderstorms kick in that's another story. But by then I've already gotten my work-out and beaching done for the day.

Old 03-02-2009, 03:51 PM

2,763 posts, read 6,222,878 times
You see - who wouldn't want that?

Old 03-02-2009, 04:27 PM

3,912 posts, read 8,460,626 times
Well S. Florida is really a tale of compromise. You sacrifice things in your life like good pay, good jobs, savings for retirement, quality of life, putting up with terrible drivers, putting up with crime, etc. for things like hot weather, minimal clothing, beautiful women, entertainment, and proximity to the beach.

Old 03-02-2009, 06:20 PM

2,113 posts, read 4,626,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Well S. Florida is really a tale of compromise. You sacrifice things in your life like good pay, good jobs, savings for retirement, quality of life, putting up with terrible drivers, putting up with crime, etc. for things like hot weather, minimal clothing, beautiful women, entertainment, and proximity to the beach.
I like your style Nolefan34
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area