Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 12:07 PM

244 posts, read 920,474 times

Advertisements

OK, so it's been established that the majority of threads in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale forums are negative. It seems that 4 out of every 5 posts focuses on the negative aspects of these regions (traffic, crime, rudeness, high cost of living, weather, prevalence of latino/hispanic culture, prevalence of "thug" or hip-hop culture, etc.). Let's begin the long and difficult process of re-establishing some pride in our neighborhoods and cities. After all, many of the problems cited here as being unique to the greater Miami/Ft. Lauderdale region are common to many large metro areas. Why don't we spend some time talking about some of the good aspects of south Florida. Remember, there are blue wave certified beaches, stone crab claws with curry mustard, fritas (Cuban hamburgers), professional sports, mom and pop restaurants and businesses, ethnic/cultural diversity, beautiful women , palm trees, 65-70 degree winters, a thriving (albeit elitist) arts community, etc. So, please, some of you other locals please chime in and remind some of the haters that there are good things about south Florida! I'm also posting this in the Miami forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
OK, so it's been established that the majority of threads in the Miami and Ft. Lauderdale forums are negative. It seems that 4 out of every 5 posts focuses on the negative aspects of these regions (traffic, crime, rudeness, high cost of living, weather, prevalence of latino/hispanic culture, prevalence of "thug" or hip-hop culture, etc.). Let's begin the long and difficult process of re-establishing some pride in our neighborhoods and cities. After all, many of the problems cited here as being unique to the greater Miami/Ft. Lauderdale region are common to many large metro areas. Why don't we spend some time talking about some of the good aspects of south Florida. Remember, there are blue wave certified beaches, stone crab claws with curry mustard, fritas (Cuban hamburgers), professional sports, mom and pop restaurants and businesses, ethnic/cultural diversity, beautiful women , palm trees, 65-70 degree winters, a thriving (albeit elitist) arts community, etc. So, please, some of you other locals please chime in and remind some of the haters that there are good things about south Florida! I'm also posting this in the Miami forum.
I have tried to post mostly positives about South Florida and even Miami ... I used to live in Weston , now I live in Parkland both great places to live and raise kids . I have a lifestyle and income that allows my family and I to enjoy it down here ... I guess that is not the same situation for some of the other posters ... I am in fact tired of this uphill battle with the constant negative posters , many of whom do not even live in South Florida . In my case I will soon stop posting in this forum as it is now becoming a chore to log on here , when it was fun just as recently as a few months ago .

Old 03-01-2009, 01:24 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,292,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JProg305 View Post
While I may be considered as one of the "negative" posters, I will say this....if you have enough $$$ to shield yourself from the BS here, South Florida is a great place to live.

Also, I accept that:

- The climate is fantastic (if you like non-stop summer weather)
- Taxes are low (no state income tax)
- If you're into sea-faring activities, you're in luck....loads of beaches, great for swimming, boating & fishing
- Miami is FILLED with a diversity of amazing restaurants, not just Latin.
- If you want to experience a different culture without leaving the US, Miami is the place to go.

However, for me, this just 'aint my cup of tea....that's not just Miami's fault....it's just a bad marriage.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:55 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
There are many positives to South Florida, but equally as many negatives. The weather, for instance, is either good or bad depending on your taste. I think the single biggest reason why people cannot stand it here though is because salaries are so low and the cost of living is so high. Its really hard to make it here unless you are a doctor or lawyer earning a salary of above $60,000 per year. Otherwise your costs of housing, insurance, food, and car payments barely allow you any wiggle room for entertainment or savings each month. That is the big downfall of South Florida. Its a rich person's playpen. Otherwise you are working too hard and earning too little to enjoy all that S. Florida has to offer.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:21 PM

For me, the "pros" of South Florida aren't enough to put up with the "cons". If I were younger, single & into clubs & the music scene here, maybe it'd be different. If I didn't have such a short fuse when it comes to the drivers here, that'd help too.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:29 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
BCreass>

I think you need to move to rural Kansas, lol. That way you wouldn't have to put up with these drivers. LOL just kidding. But yeah, I fall into that category where I recognize and am annoyed by many of the problems (drivers, crime, high cost of living, etc.) but the problems aren't enough to make me want to move away. Not yet anyhow.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
BCreass>

I think you need to move to rural Kansas, lol. That way you wouldn't have to put up with these drivers. LOL just kidding. But yeah, I fall into that category where I recognize and am annoyed by many of the problems (drivers, crime, high cost of living, etc.) but the problems aren't enough to make me want to move away. Not yet anyhow.
Nah, and in reality, it's not the traffic...every major city has traffic, both here in the US and overseas. People *test* you here though....and I find it very stressful and frustrating and I am saddened by the # of hit and runs here, along with the reckless attitude.

No place is perfect, but you have to find a relatively close match. Say I lived in Boston, for example....I'd probably put up with the negatives, because the positives would make it worthwhile. In short, I just find this a tough place to live....my skin isn't thick enough and it's hard for me to meet people with common interests in a place that seems so superficial and shallow.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 PM

137 posts, read 425,234 times
1) Of course the weather. Especially winter months, it is absolutely perfect here.
2) if you cruise, your ships are right here. you don't have to get on a plane to hook up with your cruise. That equates to cheaper vacations.
3) pool open in my backyard most of the year
4) outdoor dining most of the year
5) traffic IS better than new york and DC (My only comparision)
6) better resturants than in DC (where I lived the past 20 years)
7) someone details my car in my own driveway for $20 and does a darn good job.
8) sunsets are awesome
9) (trust me) its less culturally diverse than you think.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:42 PM

9,470 posts, read 9,366,999 times
Las Olas Blvd.; South Beach; beaches--both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami Beach; fabulous weather--yes, there is a breeze in the summer; being able to get in your pool year round; great shopping, esp. outlet malls; being able to take a walk any day of the year without a coat, gorgeous sunsets, reasonable traffic in FTL; great restaurants. We've lived in Atlanta now for 5 years and still miss SoFl. (And yes, there are negs., but there are negative aspects to any city.)

Old 03-01-2009, 05:43 PM

423 posts, read 1,642,548 times
No place is perfect. It just depends on your taste, family ties, line of work etc. For me living in South Florida is living in Paradise
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area