Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:26 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,909,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I have heard that Oakland Park is not a good area at all - is this false. The schools are not good and that is mainly what I am basing an area on. Is this incorrect?
Oakland Park is mostly ok. It's not a pretty neighborhood but most of it is not dangerous. The schools are not great but it's not scary either. I'm not afraid to drive through Oakland Park but I wouldn't want to live there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 08:42 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
yep back in the day my dh grew up in Flatbush, that is when it was very middle class...lol

Old 03-02-2009, 09:08 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
yep back in the day my dh grew up in Flatbush, that is when it was very middle class...lol
a lot of it still is, not all of flatbush is "Blood" central lol.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:34 AM

7,937 posts, read 20,381,405 times
I know its not it just isnt like it was when he grew up...

Old 03-02-2009, 02:28 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
Middle class? I thought that was wiped out years ago by Ronald Reagan. Lol kidding. But seriously, South Florida doesn't have much of a middle class. So the term is thrown around in a very broad sense. There are really only 2 classes here. The rich, who have plenty of money to throw around and treat South Florida as a playpen for the rich, and the working-class who are really struggling to make it here since wages have been stagnant for years and actually have gone down when adjusted for inflation. Meanwhile expenses have skyrocketed; things like housing prices, insurance, and food.

If there was such a thing as middle class these days, I would describe some of the western-Broward County areas such as Weston, Coral Springs, Parkland, Pembroke Pines, and some parts of Sunrise, Davie, and Cooper City as being somewhat middle class. The central and eastern parts of Broward are pretty sketchy for the most part, unless you are talking about communities along the water and on the beaches.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:34 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,710,346 times
^^^ Exactly. I would actually say that the under/middle-class is getting bigger and bigger now that real estate and the markets have crashed. So, you have debt slaves and you have equity holders that are losing money hand over fist on a daily basis. Cash is only paying 2%, so the upper class is either in over their heads or getting broker by the day.

Old 03-02-2009, 02:50 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,471,842 times
If by middle class, you mean people who were formerly of the middle class who are good, honest, hard-working people, but who financially would be considered lower-class, then there is a large population of those. But the demographics have changed so much so rapidly here over the years since many people moved out and many new people moved in, that the actual definition of middle-class has broadened greatly. In my opinion, there really is no such thing as a middle-class anymore from a financial perspective. Maybe college students, but that's it. If you are a successful CEO/upper-management employee/doctor/lawyer/wealthy retiree/trust-fund baby, you are upper-class. If you are a non-upper-management employee, or flat out unemployed, you are lower-class. The only real middle-class people I could truely classify as being middle-class would be college students since they haven't hit the real world yet.

Old 03-02-2009, 07:21 PM

326 posts, read 1,453,126 times
They live everywhere. I do not think there is a community without families with school age children. Even Wilton Manors, a preferred community for the gay population, has plenty of families with young children (we used to be one of those.)

The question to ask, if I may suggest, is where families within a certain socio-economic group live. Clearly, North Lauderdale may have a different socio-economic population from Parkland, although every city tends to have pockets of population in higher or lower than average income group.

Where to live with children depends on whether a family chooses (or is forced to choose) public or private schooling. Private schools can be reached from everywhere. I lived in east Hollywood and my children went to school in Davie. But if public school is where your children have to go (or you want them to go), then choosing the neighborhood to live in is much more critical, as some schools a way better than others. For example, living in Floranada in Fort lauderdale allows you to access a better than average public school.

So, if you can answer this last question, it may be easier to give you a better idea of where to look into.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:26 AM

90 posts, read 264,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
They live everywhere. I do not think there is a community without families with school age children. Even Wilton Manors, a preferred community for the gay population, has plenty of families with young children (we used to be one of those.)

The question to ask, if I may suggest, is where families within a certain socio-economic group live. Clearly, North Lauderdale may have a different socio-economic population from Parkland, although every city tends to have pockets of population in higher or lower than average income group.

Where to live with children depends on whether a family chooses (or is forced to choose) public or private schooling. Private schools can be reached from everywhere. I lived in east Hollywood and my children went to school in Davie. But if public school is where your children have to go (or you want them to go), then choosing the neighborhood to live in is much more critical, as some schools a way better than others. For example, living in Floranada in Fort lauderdale allows you to access a better than average public school.

So, if you can answer this last question, it may be easier to give you a better idea of where to look into.
Where is Floranada in Ft. Lauderdale? The neighborhoods on both sides of Floranda Rd. that goes through the city of east Oakland Park? Or?

Old 03-03-2009, 10:43 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I don't think that there is a Floranada City but rather the Floranada schools - you would have to go onto www.browardschools.com to see what boundaries you need to be in to attend these schools. I agree that this school in particular is better, but the issues arise when middleschool and high school comes into play. There are no A middle or High Schools in Ft. Lauderdale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area