Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:08 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,762 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
I will take my palm trees , lovely clean blue skies and beautiful ocean beaches over hills any day .... and March has been beautiful so far ... if you think it has been hot and humid this March then you do need to move .
You kinda do the same thing dont you, when people mention states a little further north, and how they like the 4 seasons, and hilly terrain, you always say, "I will take my palm trees , lovely clean blue skies and beautiful ocean beaches over hills any day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 08:11 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
You kinda do the same thing dont you, when people mention states a little further north, and how they like the 4 seasons, and hilly terrain, you always say, "I will take my palm trees , lovely clean blue skies and beautiful ocean beaches over hills any day
The only thing I'll agree with him on is that March here has been beautiful....especially today (perfect weather).

Old 03-23-2009, 09:42 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,706,856 times
This has been an incredible winter. Hope this bodes well for the summer.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:34 PM

It has been nice, I've enjoyed the last few months! But we pay for it in the summer, for those of you who think were so lucky!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:55 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,448,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
[i]"I'd kill for 4 actual seasons again, cold and all.....and scenery, real scenery with hills, forests and beautiful jagged coastline."

I will take almost all 4 seasons, I could do without Winter. Oh and the jagged coastlines of the west coast of this country are just so amazing! The weather here since late October has been great, but this winter isn't normal. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer.

Old 03-24-2009, 03:23 PM

106 posts, read 454,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCreass View Post
It's funny, because that's one place my wife & I would consider relocating to, although I've never been there.

How's the job market? How is it for affordability?
The job market here is just about as bad as other places right now. Though Ive heard some people on here say that even low level jobs in Florida are insanely hard to come by. Those jobs are still available here though not in huge amounts. Manufacturing jobs up here are going away even more quickly now. The majority of business closings/bankruptcies etc, have been in that sector. Nursing jobs are VERY plentiful up here. Cost of living is for the most part higher up here but usually a degree based job pays well enough to account for that in most positions. People always bi*ch about high taxes up here but you get what you pay for...we have lower crime ( I think Maine ranked in the top five safest places to live in the US), no killer weather and traffic is mild.

I would say the biggest drawback to Maine are the long, grey winters. Not necessarily snowy or cold...they just seem long and grey.

Old 03-24-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
I will take almost all 4 seasons, I could do without Winter. Oh and the jagged coastlines of the west coast of this country are just so amazing! The weather here since late October has been great, but this winter isn't normal. It will be interesting to see what happens this summer.
My wife and I were just talking about that. Last winter was (imo) awful, one or two cold days it seemed like. We were jipped! But this year, far more days have been cool (and even what I call "cold" as well). I really have enjoyed this FL winter, but it isnt the norm. I remember the year before at Christmas, it was hot and humid and we had to turn on the A/C as soon as we got back in the car... at like 7pm too... that is ridiculous!

Old 03-24-2009, 08:49 PM

2,266 posts, read 2,291,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warpedg View Post
The job market here is just about as bad as other places right now. Though Ive heard some people on here say that even low level jobs in Florida are insanely hard to come by. Those jobs are still available here though not in huge amounts. Manufacturing jobs up here are going away even more quickly now. The majority of business closings/bankruptcies etc, have been in that sector. Nursing jobs are VERY plentiful up here. Cost of living is for the most part higher up here but usually a degree based job pays well enough to account for that in most positions. People always bi*ch about high taxes up here but you get what you pay for...we have lower crime ( I think Maine ranked in the top five safest places to live in the US), no killer weather and traffic is mild.

I would say the biggest drawback to Maine are the long, grey winters. Not necessarily snowy or cold...they just seem long and grey.
I'm from the UK originally...I'm used to "grey" and I actually like it. I hate bright sunlight all the time....the power of the sun in South Florida is too much for me and it's too much for my wife, who has lived here all of her life.

To me, higher taxes are a trade-off. I'd gladly pay more tax to live in a more scenic place, where I'm not surrounded by complete and utter morons 24/7 and reckless/insane drivers and people who either refuse to speak English, or just don't speak English at all.

Maine...sure, I'd give it some thought. I think I'd have more chance of getting a job in MA or PA though.

Old 03-25-2009, 06:55 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The only places that I would leave South Florida for are the Texas Hill Country ( San Antonio or Austin ) both are hot as hell , but again I like the heat and of course the area that I would kill for is San Diego .. beaches , palm trees , Spanish and Italian architecture .. sort of like a giant Coral Gables on steroids with nicer people !!!

And yes the weather has been amazing here and in fact it has felt like San Diego for most of February and March .

Old 03-25-2009, 08:22 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,706,856 times
The fruit trees are loving it too. Everything is blooming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area