Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 10:25 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,763,165 times

Advertisements

Oh okay - that is at Heritage - I think that only applies if you do things through schools and that usually is 6th grade on - I'm guessing that doesn't apply to little league's and the like. I got nervous for a moment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 01:25 PM

60 posts, read 233,920 times
So, for those of you that live there or have previously, how big a difference is the comfort level (temp and humidity) between the coast (say within 5 miles of the ocean) and the inland? I mean, you still have to run your a/c in the dead of summer if you live near the beach, right? It's not the heat that bothers me, but the humidity making your house/apt all muggy unless the a/c is always on.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:29 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,706,856 times
Well, to add to what I said a few posts above, I will say that although it is noticeably cooler, you DO have to run your A/C in the May - Oct months.

Old 03-05-2009, 03:00 PM

8 posts, read 22,376 times
I don't think the OP quite has an understanding that most of the people that seem to have the good life in S Florida are tourists. Their perspective of Miami is probably palm trees, 50 story condo's, and an all play and no work atmosphere. That being said, Florida is just like any other place except when it comes to weather. Many people have 8-12 hour workdays for 5-7 days out of the week. People get frustrated just like they would in the northeast, midwest, etc... which leads to road rage, crime, rudeness, etc... If you wish to complain about snow, try taking into consideration that Florida gets hit with hurricanes, tornado's, and many other severe storms because of the unstable air mass. Since I have a realization that S. Florida is much like any other place, I have made the decision to move to Hollywood this coming June and I'M NOT GOING BACK TO NY under any circumstances.

Old 03-05-2009, 09:47 PM

7,937 posts, read 20,369,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Yes, Tanaples, but the outer boroughs get more than NYC too - We get about the same snow Long Islanders get. I'm not arguing what is better or worse - you like the cold so, better for you, I don't so, worse for me. I really strongly disagree about the heat levels. It gets very hot in NYC - VERY. I was in Florida for 3 weeks last July - hot yes, but didn't feel any hotter than where I had come from. I'm sure it will wear on me when I have to deal with it for 6 months though. I'll be quite honest - Florida is not my ideal weather state. I would probably prefer NC or SC. I don't mind cool weather, I hate cold weather. Those states have much milder winters, much more to my liking. I will so miss the orange leaves around Halloween.
ahh here is the misleading part, Charlotte does have a Winter, and it does get cold and at night its FREEZING...lol....WE GOT 4 inches of snow, we have had 3 different days closed already for school and our make up day is Memorial Day dont get me started on that, and they are taking the Friday of Spring Break away and wel my kids arent going to school either day, but ...although the weather is much better here and it will be 75 this weekend and it is better weather than NY and NJ, Im not complaining HOWEVER We do have winters and it DOES get HOT in the summer as well...

Old 03-06-2009, 03:39 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,653,377 times
Default This past snowstorm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
Yes, Tanaples, but the outer boroughs get more than NYC too - We get about the same snow Long Islanders get. I'm not arguing what is better or worse - you like the cold so, better for you, I don't so, worse for me. I really strongly disagree about the heat levels. It gets very hot in NYC - VERY. I was in Florida for 3 weeks last July - hot yes, but didn't feel any hotter than where I had come from. I'm sure it will wear on me when I have to deal with it for 6 months though. I'll be quite honest - Florida is not my ideal weather state. I would probably prefer NC or SC. I don't mind cool weather, I hate cold weather. Those states have much milder winters, much more to my liking. I will so miss the orange leaves around Halloween.
Queens got 8 inches and West Islip (SUFFOLK County) got 14 inches. I didn't check where we used to live on the North Shore because they usually got more than the South Shore.

I lived in Queens for 10 years. I lived in Suffolk County for 20 years. Suffolk County, especially the North Shore, gets more snow than Queens.

When I used to check the weather on how much snow we were going to get, I always checked Connecticut weather because it was closer. The weather in Bridgeport was closer than what Queens was getting.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:31 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,706,856 times
Chelsa, 3 weeks of hot weather is not what anyone is complaining about. It's SIX months of unrelenting heat and humidity year in and year out. Even the first few years I was here, I was still okay with it. It's just gets to be too much. I don't know how else to put it. Cali is where it's at weatherwise.

Old 03-06-2009, 06:45 PM

995 posts, read 3,928,758 times
We only had 1 summer in S. Florida so we are still in a honeymoon period with this lovely weather. I'm sure this coming summer will be tougher on us. We will need to spend more time in the pool.

Old 03-09-2009, 04:50 PM

436 posts, read 1,088,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryjuice4life View Post
ahh here is the misleading part, Charlotte does have a Winter, and it does get cold and at night its FREEZING...lol....WE GOT 4 inches of snow, we have had 3 different days closed already for school and our make up day is Memorial Day dont get me started on that, and they are taking the Friday of Spring Break away and wel my kids arent going to school either day, but ...although the weather is much better here and it will be 75 this weekend and it is better weather than NY and NJ, Im not complaining HOWEVER We do have winters and it DOES get HOT in the summer as well...

Charlotte's weather - awesome!

Old 03-10-2009, 10:29 AM

294 posts, read 1,148,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
Chelsa, 3 weeks of hot weather is not what anyone is complaining about. It's SIX months of unrelenting heat and humidity year in and year out. Even the first few years I was here, I was still okay with it. It's just gets to be too much. I don't know how else to put it. Cali is where it's at weatherwise.
Actually, quite the opposite happened to me. I've become more and more accustomed to the hot and humid summers over the years, and in a strange way, I even prefer the summers to our 'near perfect' Winter climate that everyone brags so much about.

Cali weather is the best though. I agree. If I win the dreamhouse on HGTV, I'm moving there in a heartbeat
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area