U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 01:58 PM

77 posts, read 283,725 times

Advertisements

Hello All,

We're relocating to South Florida. My husband will be working in Medley.

We have been considering the areas of Coral Gables, Pinecrest, Kendall, however, we've been told that the schools in Parkland are excellent and this is a major factor for us. We are looking for a very family friendly town that has lots to do for the little ones (we have a 2.5 year old and newborn) and is commutable to Medley. My husband is willing to travel up to an hour to work. Would Parkland meet our requirements or would you suggest another city closer to Medley?

Here's what we are looking for:

Great public schools (might be able to afford private, but not sure)
Town/neighborhood with lots of families
Looking for an area which might be considered more 'affluent'
Safe/Low crime
LOTS of things to do for children (activities, festivals, parks, etc.)
Commutable to Medley

Thank you in advance!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2009, 02:02 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,400,378 times
Weston in west central Broward is closer to Medley than Parkland by *a lot*, and offers everything you're looking for. Your husband will have a lot of company for his commute though.

Old 03-03-2009, 02:14 PM

I haven't heard great things about Weston though. Can you tell me about the schools there?

Would you think Parkland would be a bad move considering he'll be working in Medley?

Old 03-03-2009, 02:18 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,818,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmommy7890 View Post
I haven't heard great things about Weston though. Can you tell me about the schools there?
Like? The schools are neck and neck.

And to answer your second question: yes, that's way too far to go, and for that price, Pinecrest would be worth checking out and much closer. Weston is more reasonable than Parkland without really giving up anything. You may also want to consider Cooper City, Miami Lakes (be careful with the public high schools), Doral, Davie (west of University Dr), Pembroke Pines (west of Dykes Rd), and Miramar (west of I-75).

Parkland is extremely nice, but not very convenient to Medley.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 03-03-2009 at 02:33 PM..

Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM

2,970 posts, read 12,979,472 times
You haven't heard good things about Weston? Are you kidding me? Re-read Compelled.

Old 03-03-2009, 06:40 PM

7,937 posts, read 19,523,133 times
New if also want good schools and will go to parkland, we have been researching West boca, excellent schools and the High School which is important to us made School of Excellence, but I actuall spoke with a few parents, of someone I know who has thier kids at Sandpiper Elem, Loggers Middle and West Boca and they are extremly happy...they love living there and have been for about 2 years...very family friendly as my friend/realtor keeps telling me...go to greatschools.net but it needs to be the schools ive mentioned....good luck in searching...although I dont know about the commute for your dh...I just know ive what been told we are making a trip down in april and cant wait...

Weston schools are excellent from our research, However its bit expensive as our friends live there...

Old 03-04-2009, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Like? The schools are neck and neck.

And to answer your second question: yes, that's way too far to go, and for that price, Pinecrest would be worth checking out and much closer. Weston is more reasonable than Parkland without really giving up anything. You may also want to consider Cooper City, Miami Lakes (be careful with the public high schools), Doral, Davie (west of University Dr), Pembroke Pines (west of Dykes Rd), and Miramar (west of I-75).

Parkland is extremely nice, but not very convenient to Medley.

I've heard mixed reviews on the public schools in Weston. Heard that there is no real culture there. Can anyone tell me more about the area. We do like the idea of gated communities but are looking for a variety of things to do with the kids. Are there good parks, play places, fairs, town events, etc.

Also, are there any good private schools?

what about the shopping? Heard there the typical big box stores. Will I need to drive outside the city to get to good shopping malls, restaurants, etc?

TIA!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:50 AM

1,452 posts, read 3,064,869 times
Ok, what is this "lack of culture" crap exactly? You want culture, drive to Miami and find restaurants of every kind there. I'm sure there are other venues as well, I'm sure there is a performing arts center somewhere in the area. And by culture I don't mean the annual hip hop fest .

As far as what I believe most if not all of us want in today's world? As an American born and raised in northern New Jersey, aside from getting away from the cold, all I want is a safe, crime free neighborhood with decent schools where people take pride in their properties and their community, and where there are opportunities for everyone to participate in sports, chartiable events, etc....cultural stuff is not up there on my list, as I can seek that out elsewhere other than where I hang my hat. And besides, I'm getting tired of people acting like being born and raised in this country implies a lack of culture. My grandmother came here from Italy, I miss her food...may she RIP,...I'm sure I can drive around and find some Italian food I can stomach when I get there!

Old 03-04-2009, 07:53 AM

188 posts, read 564,333 times
There are several posts on Weston. Put is a search for Weston on this site and tons of posts will pop up.
It is one of the top areas that families look at to live around here. All public schools which consist of 6 elementary, 2 middle and one high are rated "A" Schools. There are also many privite schools in the city. There are at least 20 gated communities at all different price points within the city. There are plenty of apartments or townhomes also. Each development has its own park along with the many parks and rec fields located in and around the city. There is quite a bit of shopping and dining. Some within walking distance from the developments. We have at least 4 grocery stores along with drug stores and any other store or restaurant you might want. As far as big box stores, no. You will have to travel For a Target or Walmart. Wheather you travel north or south you will run into major shoping areas within 5-7 miles.
I am sure many people will tell you about Weston. You really have to visit to understand how it is laid out. We also have a town center where there is always something going on such as, art shows, movie night, music, etc..
We were also looking in the areas you discuss in Miami. Look in Palmetto Bay also. Even with my husband working in Miami, we chose Weston. I think it is all what you are used to. So far so good! Good luck

Old 03-04-2009, 10:43 AM

2,763 posts, read 6,503,933 times
Hi New - I'm not sure who told you the bad things about Weston, but I think they were fudging a bit. I have to say other than hearing it is pricey there, I haven't heard anything remotely bad about Weston. I too am looking to relocate.

Here are the 5 best cities for schools in Broward - Parkland, Coral Springs, Weston, Davie and Cooper City. There are other place people will tell you about however, those cities schools don't perform as consistently.

Douglas High is probably the best public highs chool in all of Broward County, but it has its share of issues (this is from the mouth of residents in Parkland, when I was looking at homes). It isn't going to be gang issues or anything like that, but I'll let your imagination wonder on what the issues are. That being said would I send my kid there? 100% yes. You have to parent your children.

I don't think that it is really practical to live in Parkland and have your husband travel to Medley - I really think that you would like Weston for all the same reason's you like Parkland. Take the issues with the school with a grain of salt. I do know that a lot of people send their kids to private schools there. They are just too expensive for me, however, I'm thinking catholic highs school, but hoping that scholarships will come into play. Don't kill me guys, cuz it is like the 32nd time i'm saying this, but I want to help New so I'm going to say it anyway. I have a spreadsheet that I did of all the schools in the area so you can see what each school offers athletically and see which ones are A schools and where they rated on www.greatschools.net. If you want a copy dm me and I'll email it to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area