Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2009, 05:10 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,262 times

Advertisements

ByeByeFlorida, if its about family, I see your reasoning. Family is very important. But, if its for reasons such as quality of life, or jobs, etc... then believe me, I know, Greenville is far better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2009, 07:36 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
But, if its for reasons such as quality of life, or jobs, etc... then believe me, I know, Greenville is far better.
Because Greenville has such a fantastic job market and low crime.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:19 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
Quality of life is such a subjective thing that there is no correct absolute answer to Greenville v. Ft. Lauderdale.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Because Greenville has such a fantastic job market and low crime.
Greenville had (I think), 5 murders last year, maybe even less. It's not a small city, so I consider that pretty good. And like I said, in my previous post, maybe you didnt see it, but I already said the job market isnt very good there at this time.

You say things without even knowing a single thing about Greenville.

Old 03-09-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
Greenville had (I think), 5 murders last year, maybe even less. It's not a small city, so I consider that pretty good.
Greenville had (I think) 60,000 people last year, maybe even less. Yet it has as many murders as Miramar which had over 100,000 people and has one of the highest murder rates in the area. I don't think that's very good. That being said, you aren't likely to get murdered walking down the street anywhere. You might be better off assessing your risk of being robbed or burglarized.

If you don't want to live in a high crime area, you acutally have a lot of choices. You have Parkland, Coconut Creek, Coral Springs, Margate, Tamarac, North Lauderdale, Sunrise, Plantation, Davie, Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, and (aforementioned) Miramar. You would be surprised at how many safe areas there are if you had any familiarity with the area . Remember, non-white/anglo/southern doesn't necessairly equate with "unsafe".

Old 03-10-2009, 10:13 AM

294 posts, read 1,149,264 times
Quote:
Greenville had (I think) 60,000 people last year, maybe even less. Yet it has as many murders as Miramar which had over 100,000 people and has one of the highest murder rates in the area. I don't think that's very good. That being said, you aren't likely to get murdered walking down the street anywhere. You might be better off assessing your risk of being robbed or burglarized.

If you don't want to live in a high crime area, you acutally have a lot of choices. You have Parkland, Coconut Creek, Coral Springs, Margate, Tamarac, North Lauderdale, Sunrise, Plantation, Davie, Weston, Cooper City, Pembroke Pines, and (aforementioned) Miramar. You would be surprised at how many safe areas there are if you had any familiarity with the area . Remember, non-white/anglo/southern doesn't necessairly equate with "unsafe".
Compelled - great comeback!

Some people here continue to lump all of South Florida into one bucket, as if living anywhere in this part of the state were akin to living in the ghettos of Opa Locka or Liberty City. The fact is that there are many good places to live a very normal life in relatively complete safety. In fact, wasn't Coral Springs recently ranked as one of the safest places to live in the US?

Old 03-10-2009, 10:48 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
It sure was Lost - I beleive it beat out Parkland this year - LOL - an honor they are very, very proud of. I have less of any issue with safety, but more of an issue with the schools. I'm limited to 5 cities in Broward that have A rated public schools from elementary through High school. I can't assume I will afford private or that either of my boys will get into the magnet schools so, to play it safe I want to live in the city where the schools are consistently known to be the best.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:18 AM

Schools- Advantage SC

Old 03-10-2009, 11:37 AM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
This one went right over my head Compelled. Please explain. Thank you.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:42 AM

Quote:

Less murders than Greenville in Tamarac and Sunrise? Weston I know is safe as well as Parkland and Coral Springs. BTW, of course you could find several cities in a huge region (S FL) that are statistically safer than Greenville. Greenville is a city. Some of the cities you mentioned are more like a larger version of Waterford Lakes. And you would be suprised how safe 95% of Greenville is, I bet you 3 of the 5 murders that happened in Greenville were in the housing projects. It is very, very easy to escape crime in Greenville SC, you just have to stay away from the housing projects where bad drug dealings claim a few lives per yr, but you wouldnt know as you have no familiarity with Greenville.

Last edited by HopToIt; 03-10-2009 at 12:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area