Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2009, 03:56 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,076,066 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopToIt View Post
"cookie cutter homes , the same strip malls over and over ..."

Wow, coming from a FL resident, that seems kind of odd to talk about Northern Atlanta and how the homes are cookie-cutter and same strip malls over and over and over again. LOL. But atleast they do have some hills and other scnery to look at.

You have to admit, even if you think Alpharetta, Roswell and Johns Creek are "boring" and nothing but strip malls and cookie-cutter homes (interesting concept as that is exactly how many ppl describe FL), you have to admit that the hills and scenery is far prettier than flat land and billboards that line FL streets. And, the people are definitely nicer, that too is very evident.
"Cookie cutter homes and the same trip malls over and over again ... just like South Florida ." .. just how is Atlanta any better ?

My fault for not explaining myself correctly the first time ... I will take our blue skys , beautiful oceans , palm trees , clean air and Spanish style stucco construction over some "hills" .. sorry . Not sure about the famous "niceness " factor so many people on here seem to obsess over ... no I do not find the people in Atlanta to be much nicer than in South Florida .. in fact I would prefer colder people to fake nice and that is what I see in Atlanta . Charlotte ,NC or Houston , TX ... now those are cities with genuine people .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
HopToIt>

The difference is that South Florida is not boring like Atlanta. There is far more to do here. And while the landscape is flat here, we have the Atlantic Ocean and beaches as well as the FL Everglades. Also, we do not have smog in the air and it is sunny here often while cloudy in Atlanta. I have family in Atlanta, and have visited there numerous times. You literally cannot walk through the downtown area without being hassled at every corner by the homeless for change. It makes walking the streets of downtown Miami a cakewalk, and Miami is pretty bad.

As far as cookie-cutter homes and strip malls, both Atlanta and South FLorida have tons of those. I think that SOuth Florida has far more small businesses than the greater Atlanta area does, but most are in the Miami area not in Broward County. And as far as the people being nice in Atlanta, it is a very fake nice. I'd rather people be real with me than put on a show and talk crap behind my back.

The article I referenced for this post gave reasons why Atlanta is so depressed. One of the reasons was the weather, which stinks. The traffic was rated poorly and the crime was rated 2nd worst. I recognize that the suburbs are probably less crime and less traffic than the inner city, but that is true anywhere including south florida. The suicide rate was another factor, and South Florida has very few compared to our overall crime rate. Like I said originally, you can talk a lot of trash about South FLorida, but one thing you cannot say is that it is "depressing". There is nothing depressing here. Its usually sunny.
Kudos to you brother , good post ...

Old 03-14-2009, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,451 times
Quote:
I dont know if it is unhappy, or just mad. But there's something in South FL that seems to attract the mad and rude. And things like crime, crazy drivers, rude people, and less white people are definitely legit reasons to leave S FL. I can name a lot of people (family and friends) that have left for those exact reasons!
I shudder to think in 2009 anyone would consider leaving a place because of "less white people" a legit reason. Where are these people going? There are a lot of non-white people living in South Florida because there's a lot of non-white people in the world. South Florida, Florida in general, is such a weird place when it comes to racism, I could never figure it out. Comments like this made me glad I left, and believe me I didn't leave because of the lack of white people.

Old 03-14-2009, 04:50 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amazja View Post
I shudder to think in 2009 anyone would consider leaving a place because of "less white people" a legit reason. Where are these people going? There are a lot of non-white people living in South Florida because there's a lot of non-white people in the world. South Florida, Florida in general, is such a weird place when it comes to racism, I could never figure it out. Comments like this made me glad I left, and believe me I didn't leave because of the lack of white people.

I personally don't care what color you are just please speak the english language. When I went to Davenport, Fl last summer with my kids we seemed to be the only people who spoke English. It was so bad at one point, in the local Walmart, people were leaving. No one could help us because they didn't understand English at all.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:36 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
"Cookie cutter homes and the same trip malls over and over again ... just like South Florida ." .. just how is Atlanta any better ?

My fault for not explaining myself correctly the first time ... I will take our blue skys , beautiful oceans , palm trees , clean air and Spanish style stucco construction over some "hills" .. sorry . Not sure about the famous "niceness " factor so many people on here seem to obsess over ... no I do not find the people in Atlanta to be much nicer than in South Florida .. in fact I would prefer colder people to fake nice and that is what I see in Atlanta . Charlotte ,NC or Houston , TX ... now those are cities with genuine people .
LOL, ok. The Atlanta burbs arent nice, the people arent friendly, and palm trees and spanish style stucco is better than the styles throughout the Atlanta burbs'. There are no stucco built homes in Atlanta? Everything is cookie cutter, strip malls are everywhere and totally built out (unlike South FL), and Atlanta doesnt get the blue skies, only grey and cloudy days.

I do however agree with Charlotte and the friendliness. Although Berryjuice doesnt agree.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:39 PM

436 posts, read 1,089,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
I personally don't care what color you are just please speak the english language. When I went to Davenport, Fl last summer with my kids we seemed to be the only people who spoke English. It was so bad at one point, in the local Walmart, people were leaving. No one could help us because they didn't understand English at all.
I totally understand. I welcome you to Central FL. S FL first, and now it's creeping its way up into Central FL. I shouldnt say creeping, it's pretty much here already and has been definitely swinging in that direction the last few yrs.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:35 PM

2,764 posts, read 6,766,181 times
I am hispanic/latino or what we in NYC call spanish - LOL and I can totally understand what you are saying. I mention that I am hispanic only because I imagine (could be wrong) that the language being spoken by most is spanish. Imagine having that x's 30 other languages. That is what I run into every day. I think EVERYONE who comes here and becomes a citizen or even a working resident should know english. The language still known to this day as the primary language of the US. i don't think that is being racist, I think that is being real.

Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM

Quote:
LOL, ok. The Atlanta burbs arent nice, the people arent friendly, and palm trees and spanish style stucco is better than the styles throughout the Atlanta burbs'. There are no stucco built homes in Atlanta? Everything is cookie cutter, strip malls are everywhere and totally built out (unlike South FL), and Atlanta doesnt get the blue skies, only grey and cloudy days.

I do however agree with Charlotte and the friendliness. Although Berryjuice doesnt agree.
I like South Florida better than Atlanta , what can I tell ya , I am up there a couple of times a year and yes it is ok , no more no less ... probably no point in continuing our back and forth ?

Old 03-14-2009, 09:53 PM

831 posts, read 2,437,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chelsa1075 View Post
I am hispanic/latino or what we in NYC call spanish - LOL and I can totally understand what you are saying. I mention that I am hispanic only because I imagine (could be wrong) that the language being spoken by most is spanish. Imagine having that x's 30 other languages. That is what I run into every day. I think EVERYONE who comes here and becomes a citizen or even a working resident should know english. The language still known to this day as the primary language of the US. i don't think that is being racist, I think that is being real.

Well said!!!

Old 03-14-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmccauley View Post
Welcome , to many parts of not only Florida , but California , Texas , Nevada , Arizona , New Mexico , Illinois , New York , New Jersey and growing !!

Its also "creeping up " into Georgia and The sainted Carolinas as well !!!

It is not just a Florida problem anymore and for the record , I could care less where anyone is from as long as they are civil , honest and can speak some English !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area