Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 02:22 PM

124 posts, read 440,673 times

Advertisements

So here's the tricky one. We're going to bring down my mother-in-law to Fl when we move (she'll have no family in NY), but she doesn't drive.

Right now she lives in Inwood Manhattan where though it's not the hustle and bustle of downtown, she has her doctors close by, supermarkets, stores and parks.

Is there such a place in Ft Lauderdale or Miami?

Or even a place with a semi-reliable bus system that can get her around when we can't drive her?

Areas with Spanish speaking residents are fine, she's bilingual.

thanks for your thoughts...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 02:53 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,122 times
The closest to that, although she wont find doctors, is downtown Hollywood. If she lives in that new building right on Young Circle (can't think of the name), there is a Publix, a park, restaurants and shopping right downstairs. She could even get on a bus and get to the beach and broadwalk. These are also only about a mile away if she was up for a walk. She actually, now that I think of it, could get on a bus and go west about 5 miles to get to the Joe Dimaggio Memorial Hospital which has a medical office building as part of the complex. It was known as a children's hospital, but has now expanded to serve adults as well.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:07 PM

That's great! I'll look in to it. Is that building a rental or for sale? i don't mind buying at the right price.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:22 PM

The building is a condo, but I actually just found a rental when I did a google on "new building/young circle." It's called Radius!

Real Estate Blog - $1,400 - "Raduis" at Young Circle - Brand New Building

Edit: I just noticed this ad had a date of April 2008. It should give you some leads though now that you have the building name and some pictures and an idea of what rentals here go for.

Old 03-21-2009, 03:40 PM

great thanks!

Old 03-21-2009, 03:41 PM

I just found a really good deal in a house that's walking distance to downtown Hollywood too. I have no idea what the story is, but this is very cheap and with a brand new kitchen...

1228 Johnson St, Hollywood, FL, 33019 - MLS ID#M1287860 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com® (http://www.realtor.com/realestateandhomes-detail/1228-Johnson-St_Hollywood_FL_33019_1105778997 - broken link)

Old 03-21-2009, 03:45 PM

This looks really nice! Now that prices are coming down I would rather do something like that for her. Thanks Fauve..

Old 03-21-2009, 04:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvi03 View Post
So here's the tricky one. We're going to bring down my mother-in-law to Fl when we move (she'll have no family in NY), but she doesn't drive.

Right now she lives in Inwood Manhattan where though it's not the hustle and bustle of downtown, she has her doctors close by, supermarkets, stores and parks.

Is there such a place in Ft Lauderdale or Miami?

Or even a place with a semi-reliable bus system that can get her around when we can't drive her?

Areas with Spanish speaking residents are fine, she's bilingual.

thanks for your thoughts...
Well you can look into downtown Miami, in the brickell area or Park West area. Although its sort of isolated (the whole half empty condo thing). This one blog I go to reported one of the owners of the blog was almost mugged for his bicycle. He was attacked by 8 youths and he was able to fight them off. So you have to becareful in regard to where you are in downtown Miami, but I guess that is true of many places these days.Then there is downtown Hollywood though i personally wouldn't want to move there. Its dangerous in some areas and run down. Some parts are newer but I am just not impressed with hollywood at all. Then there is downtown fort lauderdale but again parts of that are isolated too. Out of all of them I would go for downtown Miami becuase there is far more to do in Miami than Broward cities have to offer. My second choice would be downtown Fort Lauderdale.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:35 PM

By NYC standards, Hollywood is a walk in the park. I like it more than Miami or F. Lauderdale because it has an organic farmer's market, yoga studio, library, art center and the broadwalk with shops and the beach all within spitting distance. It's also the most affordable. You also cant live in Fort Lauderdale or Miami without a car.

Old 03-22-2009, 09:19 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,363,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
By NYC standards, Hollywood is a walk in the park. I like it more than Miami or F. Lauderdale because it has an organic farmer's market, yoga studio, library, art center and the broadwalk with shops and the beach all within spitting distance. It's also the most affordable. You also cant live in Fort Lauderdale or Miami without a car.
None of what you said is unique to Hollywood and you most certainly can live in certain parts of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami without a car. It depends on where you live. p.s. not all of Hollywood is walkable and livable without a car. you would be limited to that old run down, half empty downtown area. As for walk in a park compared to NYC, errr I don't think you have been to NYC since the 90s then. It depends on where you are at. Hollywood has a HUGE prostitution, homeless and drug problem around where you are telling this person to live. I have had two friends who lived in that area. One still lives there, the other left. The one who left had his studio broken into while he was sleeping. Thank God they didn't kill him while he was asleep. That downtown area also has a problem with keeping businesses there. They go out of business every six months. There was a article on that a year ago, that area has huge issues. Oh and that farmers market = publix. If you go there you can look on the boxes and see where they get the food from, it isn't local. The point of a farmers market is for local farmers to bring their goods to local markets, that "thing" doesn't fit the bill. Miami has farmers market in the upper east side, S. Beach, and homestead. Fort Lauderdale one in Los Olas (though its useless) and then a few farmers in Davie you can go hand pick goods. You would need a car to get to the fort lauderdale stuff if you are living downtown though.

link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/hollywood/sfl-flbmotels0322sbmar22,0,3234650.story - broken link)

link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/broward/sfl-0317-federal02,0,131243.story - broken link)

link (http://www.sun-sentinel.com/community/news/hollywood/sfl-hollywood-motel-vuvox-0322,0,859180.htmlstory - broken link)

Last edited by Wild Style; 03-22-2009 at 09:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area