Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 10:05 PM

18 posts, read 75,496 times

Advertisements

I need to know from someone who commutes regularly how long the morning commute is from West Miramar (75 or Turnpike) to DT Miami (Roughly Brickell/Viscaya Exit). Need to arrive @ 8:30.

Of course, I'd also need to know how long the commute is BACK to Miramar is. Departure time 5:30 to 6PM.

I'm considering moving to Miramar from Kendall. The main route would be I75, but information on other possible routes would be very helpful!

Guessimates are great, but I'd really like to hear from someone who does this commute (more or less).

Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 10:29 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times
All I can say is "ouch" in the morning! It will take about an hour or more. You will spend almost no time on I-75, which is almost always smooth sailing until the 826 interchange (which isn't more than 5 miles from the Miramar Pkwy exit on 75). You are moving about 35-45 MPH on the Palmetto Expressway, until you head east on the Dolphin Exwy and sit in bumper to bumper traffic all the way to I-95. Once you are on I-95 you are (usually) OK. In the afternoon, you can take the "Lexus lanes" (tolled express lanes) on I-95 northbound and transfer to the Turnpike at the Golden Glades. Then, you can take the turnpike extension west to Red Road, and that commute would be somewhere in the 30-45 minute range depending on how deep into Miramar you live, and the traffic won't be bad at all.

If you don't have a Sunpass however, you are trapped to the same fate in the afternoon.

West Miramar isn't any nicer or more affordable than most of Kendall though! Unless you are moving to be closer to family or friends, it might be better to stay put!

Old 03-25-2009, 03:09 PM

11 posts, read 21,265 times
One alternative you may want to look into (especially if you have to pay parking in downtown) is taking I-75 to the NW 74 Street exit on the Palmetto and taking the Metrorail into downtown Miami. It may take a bit longer but you have 40 minutes on the train to sleep/read/relax.

Old 03-26-2009, 02:49 PM

546 posts, read 2,147,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
All I can say is "ouch" in the morning! It will take about an hour or more. You will spend almost no time on I-75, which is almost always smooth sailing until the 826 interchange (which isn't more than 5 miles from the Miramar Pkwy exit on 75). You are moving about 35-45 MPH on the Palmetto Expressway, until you head east on the Dolphin Exwy and sit in bumper to bumper traffic all the way to I-95. Once you are on I-95 you are (usually) OK. In the afternoon, you can take the "Lexus lanes" (tolled express lanes) on I-95 northbound and transfer to the Turnpike at the Golden Glades. Then, you can take the turnpike extension west to Red Road, and that commute would be somewhere in the 30-45 minute range depending on how deep into Miramar you live, and the traffic won't be bad at all.

If you don't have a Sunpass however, you are trapped to the same fate in the afternoon.

West Miramar isn't any nicer or more affordable than most of Kendall though! Unless you are moving to be closer to family or friends, it might be better to stay put!
Disagree 100% with the last sentence. West Miramar is a lot nicer than Kendall. Lived in Kendall most of my life and have moved to West Miramar last year. The lanes are wider, the streets are cleaner, subdivisions/stores are newer. Traffic is not as congested (think of 117 ave and kendall drive any time of day/night).

There is also more to do in this area. Example: in West Kendall and there are very few bars. Up here there is a bar/lounge in almost every strip mall. The hard rock hotel is not that far either.

Give yourself an hour and a half each way every day brother. You can also take the turnpike extension "north" to miami and then catch I-95 at the golden glades interchange if you don't feel like driving thru hialeah. Hope this helped.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:22 PM

18 posts, read 75,496 times
What about the Gratiny Expressway? Shaving significant time off the commute?

Old 03-27-2009, 12:51 AM

2,685 posts, read 6,423,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrafficTime View Post
What about the Gratiny Expressway? Shaving significant time off the commute?

That's what I was about to suggest. Take the Gratigny instead. Save yourself from going through the Palmetto Expwy (SR 826), then Dolphin Expwy (SR836). I would avoid all that. Take I-75 South to Gratigny, then drive about 4-5 straight miles toward I-95, then jump on I-95 South. Simpler, and you will save time if you ask me. How much time? I don't have an acurate answer for that.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
I havent done it in a few years - I go north now - but I live West of i-75 off Miramar. Its at least 1:15-1:30 in the morning - I dont care your route (though I would recommend Gratigny) and at least 1:30 and up if you leave at 5:30.

You could not pay me to move to Kendall - at least you have a chance to use an alternative route from West Miramar -

If commute is important look at Miami Shores, Brickell, the Roads and of course Pinecrest and the Gables. Oh - and South Miami (though dicey in some areas near UM)

Old 04-04-2009, 08:04 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
Amen to that. Compared to West Miramar, much of Kendall has character. You don't get that in cookie-cutter McMansion West Miramar. Clean? Yes. Safe? Yes. Nicer? Not in my opinion.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:17 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
The problem with Kendall is the lack of highways or usable routes. Commuting anywhere south of Downtown once 95 ends becomes a parking lot nightmare - even from Kendall to Downtown the commute time is incongruous to the distance.

Old 04-04-2009, 10:10 PM

3,368 posts, read 11,671,359 times
Bad trafic is Kendall's biggest problem. The extension of 836 out to SW 137 Ave. has alleviated some of the surface street traffic during rush hours, but in general you are right that south of 836 there really aren't any good E-W options to get across town fast. But isn't this a problem in Miramar and Pembroke Pines as well? I hear Pines Boulevard during rush hours is just as bad at Kendall Drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area