U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2011, 02:38 PM

205 posts, read 459,742 times

Advertisements

Like any place in S. Fl anything west of dixie is usually bad if you want to stay east. Ive lived in Pompano for a few years now and have never had a problem but you do not want to live west of dixie hwy! There are some nice neighborhoods in Pompano beach anything east of US1 is nice and can get pricey. If you live just west US1 Old pompano is nice, Cresthaven/coillier manor is nice. Pompano Highlands is not nice and thats just west of us1 and sample.
With Cresthaven a lot of the homes got hit hard with the encomny but you do see the houses starting to sale and people are starting to fix them up, there are some good parts of the neighborhood and bad.
Lighthouse point is right next to pompano which is VERY nice but it is expensive.
If you have children and are moving to Pompano I would not unless you can afford private schools. The public schools are not good,.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2011, 05:43 PM

3 posts, read 16,510 times
what about west of I95? N. Powerline Road area..how is that? Does anyone know anything about the Pinnacle Village Rental Community?

Old 05-27-2011, 08:27 AM

205 posts, read 459,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lickey7 View Post
what about west of I95? N. Powerline Road area..how is that? Does anyone know anything about the Pinnacle Village Rental Community?

Powerline and what? Pretty much anything that is west of I95 on Atlantic and Copans is not so great until you get closer to university.

I just looked up the community. I know excatly where that is, ive seen parts of it and they do look nice but the area isnt so great. Its ghetto. There is a super walmart near by, but as you get on powerline there are a lot of industrial . I personally would not move there!

Do you have to live in Pompano? If so stay east of dixie or east of US1.

There are some nice apartments on Sample and 441 in Coconut creek which is close to Pompano. I forget
the name of it but its Turtle creek something, it might even be considered Coral springs.

Old 05-27-2011, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 16,510 times
no we do not have to move to Pompano. His job is in oakland park..so as long as we are close to there. we do not know anything about s. fla so thats why i am trying to figure out where we should move to. does anyone know of any good place to rent near oakland park?...that isnt way overpriced?

Old 05-30-2011, 08:56 PM

3,911 posts, read 9,024,294 times
lickey7-

Again, AVOID ANYTHING WEST OF DIXIE HIGHWAY in Pompano Beach. That includes Powerline Road. That area is flat out rough. You will be very sorry if you chose to live there.

Avoid anything on Powerline Road until you go north of SW 10th Street which is in Deerfield Beach. Then it starts getting nicer.

Once you go west of Dixie Highway in Pompano Beach, you will not see anything remotely "nice" until you reach University Drive in Coral Springs.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 PM
vr2

224 posts, read 772,557 times
Intercoastal to Dixie in Pompano, I'd avoid as well. I'm sorry, but JUST on the other side of the dixie tracks is extremely rough, why would you want to live 1/8 mile from that?

We have a place at the pompano beach club, and though there was an armed attack near the pier a couple weeks ago, it's generally an ok area ON THE BEACH. Though we tend to just get in the car and head south on A1A if we want to do anything.

Ask any Pompano Beach police officer how the area is, I'd be shocked if you found one that recommends living even east of Dixie. I know most of the officers there and have been on a ride along, it's rough, it's bad, the crime is far worst than the public realizes.

If you aren't on the beach, then don't bother with Pompano or Hallandale really either. The issue is that many of these posters tell you about these decent communities, but what you don't realize is that these decent pockets of houses are surrounded by rough areas just a block away and are typically subjected to robberies, burglaries, etc.

Old 06-01-2011, 10:24 PM

3,911 posts, read 9,024,294 times
Well I disagree with vr2. You don't need to live 1 block east of Dixie Highway. You could live 10 blocks or one mile east and be just fine. From Dixie Highway to the Intracoastal Waterway covers a large area about 1-2 miles wide. That area is mostly safe and has very little riff-raff or bums. Most of the people are middle class. There is lots of shopping. The vast majority of crime occurs west of Dixie Highway. This is what you hear about in the police briefs.

vr2's comment about "why would you want to live near that"- Well the same is true about living in Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale. The nice neighborhoods of Fort Lauderdale are only blocks away from bad areas. Same regarding Hollywood. Even out west in Pembroke Pines you are blocks from Miramar and Miami Gardens. In Coral Springs you are blocks away from Margate. You are always living not far from bad areas in South FL.

Old 06-03-2011, 08:07 AM
vr2

Thank you for pointing that out Nolefan. I wouldn't suggest living in Hollywood or Fort Lauderdale either.

Fact is, Pompano is the most dangerous place in Broward County. It's just a fact. You say there is plenty of shopping but a quick drive down Atlantic between Dixie and A1A shows nothing but run down buildings, empty offices, closed businesses, and a place in general decline. It's a ghost town. It's dirty. It's depressing. Other than the new Publix being built, there is almost nothing worth noting. We find ourselves walking over to the Briny and that's about the extent of Pompano for us. Which is why we are thinking about just staying full time out west.

So the question then becomes, with way better places in Broward, why bother with Pompano?

Old 06-05-2011, 03:33 PM

233 posts, read 506,399 times
vr2 has never lived in Pompano so while he's right about west of dixie he knows very little about east pompano. East of Dixie is fine. Hell 1/4 a mile east of Dixie there are homes selling for 500,000 plus even today, which is higher than the average price in Weston. People wouldn't be buying at those prices if crime was that bad in east Pompano. General rule of Pompano is to stay east of Dixie. Palm Aire is nice but mainly for older people. Move west if you can't afford to send your kids to private school for middle school. Elementary schools are fine and Pompano High is actually better than any of the schools out west.

Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM
vr2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofla951 View Post
vr2 has never lived in Pompano so while he's right about west of dixie he knows very little about east pompano. East of Dixie is fine. Hell 1/4 a mile east of Dixie there are homes selling for 500,000 plus even today, which is higher than the average price in Weston. People wouldn't be buying at those prices if crime was that bad in east Pompano. General rule of Pompano is to stay east of Dixie. Palm Aire is nice but mainly for older people. Move west if you can't afford to send your kids to private school for middle school. Elementary schools are fine and Pompano High is actually better than any of the schools out west.
I have a place in Pompano on the beach. I stay there roughly 3 days a week.

You are right, 1/4 mile East of Dixie is nice, I mean, they have a stunning car wash with a high quality day care center right behind it. (sarcasm).

It's beyond me why anyone would want to live in that area, who wants to live 1/4 mile from the most dangerous area in Broward County? Let alone pay 1/2 million for the privilege. Then you get to share all your daily outings with the nice folks on the other side of the tracks, where do you think they go shopping and spend their time out?

Not only do I have a place in Pompano, but I know the police very well and have an ex-pompano officer in my family. You may even notice the Chris Reyka sticker on the back window of one of my vehicles. I'd say I'm pretty well qualified to talk about the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area