U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 05:24 PM

3,911 posts, read 9,022,202 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Pompano but really, nothing east of US1 is suspect at all as far as safety. Almost every street is decent, not just "one or two". Between Dixie Highway and US1, however, there are some suspect areas (Cresthaven, some areas in "Olde Pompano"), while the whole entire area south of Atlantic Blvd, to Dixie Hwy, is actually very upscale and sought after. Youth in these areas aren't likely to be attending the community public schools, either. It's quite a large area that is like this, and the only reason to ever enter the "bad area" is to drive to I-95. And it really isn't THAT bad, not a "warzone" as suggested. The worst of the worst areas that make Pompano the most dangerous city will be well west of 95, tucked off of side streets.
Compelled-

I think 90% of the crime generates from a very small area west of Dixie Highway along Hammondville Road and west of I-95. But that small area of bad is very bad. But as you said, there is no reason for someone to drive through there. If you stay on Atlantic Blvd you're fine. East of Dixie highway it gradually gets better. Maybe the first 2 blocks are still suspect. But especially east of US1 in Pompano is one of the safer areas in Broward County IMO.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2020, 02:53 PM

1 posts, read 332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in Translation View Post
Well, I don't live in either area, so I can only tell you what I know based on my frequent travels through these two parts. I say "not ideal" based on my observation of the kind of people that I see around there and the quality of the buildings. The condos look somewhat old and tired in this area, and the people look ordinary enough, with both lower/middle class families and retirees. My sense is that there might be some property crime in this area of Hallandale Beach, but that violent crime is not really an issue. Again, this is just based on my obversation.

The problem with both Hallandale and Pompano is that not too far west you have some pretty bad areas. I'm sure there is some spill over from these areas onto the beach. But if you watch yourself and stay alert, you and your wife should be fine.

Unfortunately, "near the ocean and somewhat affordable" is an oxymoron in South Florida.
I definitely agree that there is no such thing as affordable living by the ocean!
You will have to scale back in other areas to account for the higher costs of living by the beach.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:35 AM

1,515 posts, read 1,455,886 times
My frank recommendation is that you decide on East Pompano Beach, where the neighborhoods are much safer, especially on the island and just west of the intercoastal. In Pompano Beach you can still find very good condos at a reasonable price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area