U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:07 PM

10 posts, read 53,838 times

Advertisements

Is Pompano a nice place to live near the ocean?

How about Hallandale near the ocean? (Golden Isle Drive)

I am considering a condo in one of these areas and have never been before...I need it to be safe for my wife.

Thanks in advance.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2009, 06:52 PM

294 posts, read 1,098,201 times
You may get differing opinons on this, but most anywhere along the beach on A1A in Dade or Broward county is safe. Both Pompano and Hallandale Beach can get pretty rough west of the Intracoastal, though, especially between US1 and I-95. Golden Isle Drive is okay, but not ideal. General rule of thumb is to just stay east of the Intracoastal.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:44 PM

10 posts, read 53,838 times
Thanks for the info. What did you mean by not "ideal?" I understand that it won't be luxury living, but is it safe and quiet? As soon as I leave the area will I be in a rough area? And as far as Pompano goes, even if I am living off of A1A, that is a thin strip of land if it starts turning bad west of US1... I am so frustrated trying to find a good place to live down there that is near the ocean and somewhat affordable....

Old 04-01-2009, 08:38 AM

294 posts, read 1,098,201 times
Well, I don't live in either area, so I can only tell you what I know based on my frequent travels through these two parts. I say "not ideal" based on my observation of the kind of people that I see around there and the quality of the buildings. The condos look somewhat old and tired in this area, and the people look ordinary enough, with both lower/middle class families and retirees. My sense is that there might be some property crime in this area of Hallandale Beach, but that violent crime is not really an issue. Again, this is just based on my obversation.

The problem with both Hallandale and Pompano is that not too far west you have some pretty bad areas. I'm sure there is some spill over from these areas onto the beach. But if you watch yourself and stay alert, you and your wife should be fine.

Unfortunately, "near the ocean and somewhat affordable" is an oxymoron in South Florida.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:55 AM

326 posts, read 1,391,881 times
Crime is there, no doubt about it. This is South Florida, it is no place to leave your house unlocked and your children bike ride to their friends a mile away. Unless you live in a gated community, this is not reality for the place.

On the other hand, having lived near the beach for 12 years and having raised my children there from birth, I have to say that I have always felt relatively safe where I was. I lived on the water in Wilton Manors and then in the Lakes neighborhood in Hollywood. Break-ins were very rare during the period I lived there. It is true that the US1 corridor is very rough, but it is also true that it does not trickle east so easily. Crimes tend to remain confined to the corridor and sip through the western strip between US1 and I95, where less guarded properties are, often rentals, and where neighbors give less of a mindful watch for who goes around their neighborhood.

Of course the recent economic turn has increased crime everywhere: desperation has joined greed and we see the effect of it. A friend of mine was killed in the Southlake neighborhood.

I understand that both Pompano and Hallandale are a little less upscale than where I lived, but even there there are some very neat properties and streets. Sketchy does not mean you will be living next to drug dealers and prostitutes. Although the prostitutes sell openly along US1, their existence is not noticed or noticeable in the Lakes areas. These are worlds apart and, although they are very close and so many people on this board think that plague sips back and forth, the reality is there is very minimal exchange between them.

What you should accept is the fact that crime is there in Broward and there is no way around it. But I do not believe crime moves so easily along the roads cars drive on: it tends to remain confined within trashed neighborhoods, rental areas, strips along major arteries for easy escape, neighborhoods whose residents have little entitlement on. Just my opinion, OP. Everyone else, be nice to me.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:12 AM

3,911 posts, read 8,955,358 times
Anywhere in Broward County from US1 west to 441 is crime-ridden, not just Pompano or Hallandale. Its not a thin strip either. Its a wide box. So you either have to live east of US1 along the water or on the beach, or west of University Drive to live in a nice, safe area.

Old 10-24-2009, 06:55 AM

1 posts, read 12,619 times
I am currently living in Pompano Beach and so far it is pretty safe and quiet as long as you stay east of Dixie Hwy. We live in Old Pompano about a mile from the oceanfront and I love it. Of course the US is nothing compared to the safety in European cities but this neighborhood is alright.

Old 12-06-2009, 04:43 AM

1 posts, read 12,403 times
what do you think about palm aire ?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:25 AM

3 posts, read 16,430 times
my family and i are relocating to pompano beach for job purposes..i was wondering if anyone could give me soem info about the Pinnacle Village Rental Community..is it a good place to live. It is on N. Powerline Rd. I dont know anything about this area. I have a 2 month old baby so I'm trying to find a safe place and somewhere that is clean. Can anyone give me some advice about that?

Old 05-26-2011, 10:40 AM

3,911 posts, read 8,955,358 times
I disagree with the original poster's claim that you have to live on the island in order to be safe in Pompano Beach.

The mainland of Pompano Beach is decent and safe east of Dixie Highway. The US1 corridor is very safe in that area and there is a lot of shopping and restaurants. There are no bums in that area. The buildings tend to look a bit "tired" or drab compared to nicer suburbs because the area is older. But I enjoy the Old Florida look of Pompano as opposed to the generic Mediteranean cookie-cutter look of other suburbs. Once you go west of Dixie Highway, the area becomes very unsafe and crime ridden. The western Pompano Beach area is one of the worst in Broward County in terms of crime.

Palm-Aire is a nice community, but is located in the West of Dixie Highway and is surrounded by rough neighborhoods. It is like a small bubble of nice amongst a large sea of ghetto. I'm not saying you shouldn't consider it, but the areas around it are unsafe for children to play outside of the community gates.

Hollywood and Hallandale Beach are nice on the island and on the mainland East of US1. Once you go west of US1 it is very sketchy. Not as bad as Western Pompano Beach but there are a lot of bums and methadone patients. Downtown Hollywood around Young Circle is an exception to the rule since it is being revitalized and has lots of entertainment and nightlife. Now, once you go west of I-95 there are some decent neighborhoods in Hollywood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area