U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2009, 05:24 PM

550 posts, read 1,116,267 times

Advertisements

My wife and three small children may be looking at moving to south Florida, where I would be working in Fort Lauderdale. We'd be coming from Tallahassee, where we rent a 3 BR/2 BA home with a nice sized yard in a secluded neighborhood on the outskirts. We pay $990/mo rent for it now. We'd hate to have to go back to living in an apartment after the freedom a home affords.

I guess living west down there is more affordable than closer to the beach? I could also go north or south as long as the price is right. (Funny, but for months I kept ribbing my wife at random about moving to Boca Raton as a joke, not knowing that I might, in fact, be looking at moving there!)

I don't mind west of town at all; cost is the major factor right now. We're not looking to purchase a home - only rent. I wouldn't want more than about a 20 mi. commute to work, which would be downtown F.L.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 05:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 16,405,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
My wife and three small children may be looking at moving to south Florida, where I would be working in Fort Lauderdale. We'd be coming from Tallahassee, where we rent a 3 BR/2 BA home with a nice sized yard in a secluded neighborhood on the outskirts. We pay $990/mo rent for it now. We'd hate to have to go back to living in an apartment after the freedom a home affords.

I guess living west down there is more affordable than closer to the beach? I could also go north or south as long as the price is right. (Funny, but for months I kept ribbing my wife at random about moving to Boca Raton as a joke, not knowing that I might, in fact, be looking at moving there!)

I don't mind west of town at all; cost is the major factor right now. We're not looking to purchase a home - only rent. I wouldn't want more than about a 20 mi. commute to work, which would be downtown F.L.

Any suggestions would be welcome.
You need to come down and do some test drives. I sat at an intersection at 65th and Federal one day at lunch time for 20 minutes.

I'm anti commute too.

I searched FLL high and low for six months and was willing to pay 1600 and still couldn't find a place that met my needs up until last April. Then I came up here to Vero.

Tomorrow I'm coming down again from Vero to look for a tiny rental monday thru thursday because I may take a job there (which was my test run last year but the job fell through). (just my luck i bought a condo here and the job resurfaced down in FLL now)

Everyone says the traffic is overstated here but I won't sit for 20 minutes at lunch no way. (i go home at lunch) ....I'm probably taking an apartment at Port Royale or Bay Colony for now till I can look further. It's at 65th.

1000 wont get you a 3 bedroom single either, IME, sorry. You could get a two bedroom last year for that but right now they seem to be dried up. Probably until this month when the tourists leave.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:34 AM

In other words, you'd rather live in Calcutta than Fort Lauderdale (the dregs of the earth)? Traffic is bad, cost is high, but then I remember that millions of people live and work in NYC/LA/Chicago, too, and it's far worse there. I wonder why those cities haven't emptied out their populations?

I didn't say I was going to find something for $1000/mo - just that that's what I have now.

It sounds liike perhaps you'd be happier if you moved to a less congested part of the state/country. You sound frustrated with where you are.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:36 PM

50 posts, read 186,303 times
i agree with the last guy...if you want no more than a 20 min commute, you better rent an apartment of loft downtown... its taken me 30 mins to get downtown from just one exit from broward blvd. i'd stay in tallahassee if i were you..

new york, los angeles, chicago....i'd take any one of those over south florida...
Florida has a record number of people leaving...its usually people who speak English as a first language and are fed up with the problems of south florida....

Vero Beach where the last poster is from is actually pretty nice...but the people in south florida are slowly migrating farther north...its like a virus spreading...the people you dont want around you will one day be your neighbors..

don't say we didn't warn you...

Old 04-02-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beentheredidthat View Post
i agree with the last guy...if you want no more than a 20 min commute, you better rent an apartment of loft downtown... its taken me 30 mins to get downtown from just one exit from broward blvd. i'd stay in tallahassee if i were you..

new york, los angeles, chicago....i'd take any one of those over south florida...
Florida has a record number of people leaving...its usually people who speak English as a first language and are fed up with the problems of south florida....

Vero Beach where the last poster is from is actually pretty nice...but the people in south florida are slowly migrating farther north...its like a virus spreading...the people you dont want around you will one day be your neighbors..

don't say we didn't warn you...
*Sigh* Ok, you've warned me.

<Tricon7 points toward the exit> Now, please leave.

Old 04-04-2009, 01:53 PM

Quote:
In other words, you'd rather live in Calcutta than Fort Lauderdale (the dregs of the earth)? Traffic is bad, cost is high, but then I remember that millions of people live and work in NYC/LA/Chicago, too, and it's far worse there. I wonder why those cities haven't emptied out their populations?

I didn't say I was going to find something for $1000/mo - just that that's what I have now.

It sounds liike perhaps you'd be happier if you moved to a less congested part of the state/country. You sound frustrated with where you are.
LOL I don't live in FLL I live on the Intracoastal in beautiful uncrowded no crime no traffic Vero Beach, Indian River County. Home of the Pelican Wildlife Refuge. Maybe you missed that part. I'm only potentially working in FLL and looking for a commuter apt. 4 days a week.

Now since you didn't like my answer....I'll try again.

3 bedroom 2 bath SECLUDED neighborhood "on the outskirts" of FLL with a 20 minute commute to some unnamed downtown destination? ....and all for 999.00. ROFLMAO..oh and a "yard" too? No problem.

Yeah, that's real "doable".....take a ride down and let us depressing experienced people know what you find. Especially with the outskirts part.

And the secluded part.

Realtor dot com has two in Progresso.

Or you can try Lauderhill. But that's not a 20 minute commute depending on where your office is which you omitted.

But I was lying about sitting at a light on McNab and Fed for 20 minutes, yeah. Sorry. It's fun for me to claim things that aren't true.

Progresso perimiter...there were only a few violent crimes last month. And they maybe weren't really in Progressos per se...at least two whole blocks away. A gun to a cabbie's head, a group shooting, an armed robbery at a restaurant, and a carjacking. BONUS...you'll border Sistrunk. One of the more lovely streets in "demand" in FLL. You'll enjoy meandering down there with your kids sightseeing.

Here's a crime map. Not too bad at all.
Fort Lauderdale Crime Map - Showing Crime in Fort Lauderdale, FL - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Is THAT a "better answer"? I noticed you said you like wildlife. You'll love it down there.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
LOL I don't live in FLL I live on the Intracoastal in beautiful uncrowded no crime no traffic Vero Beach, Indian River County. Home of the Pelican Wildlife Refuge. Maybe you missed that part. I'm only potentially working in FLL and looking for a commuter apt. 4 days a week.

Now since you didn't like my answer....I'll try again.

3 bedroom 2 bath SECLUDED neighborhood "on the outskirts" of FLL with a 20 minute commute to some unnamed downtown destination? ....and all for 999.00. ROFLMAO..oh and a "yard" too? No problem.

Yeah, that's real "doable".....take a ride down and let us depressing experienced people know what you find. Especially with the outskirts part.

And the secluded part.

Realtor dot com has two in Progresso.

Or you can try Lauderhill. But that's not a 20 minute commute depending on where your office is which you omitted.

But I was lying about sitting at a light on McNab and Fed for 20 minutes, yeah. Sorry. It's fun for me to claim things that aren't true.

Progresso perimiter...there were only a few violent crimes last month. And they maybe weren't really in Progressos per se...at least two whole blocks away. A gun to a cabbie's head, a group shooting, an armed robbery at a restaurant, and a carjacking. BONUS...you'll border Sistrunk. One of the more lovely streets in "demand" in FLL. You'll enjoy meandering down there with your kids sightseeing.

Here's a crime map. Not too bad at all.
Fort Lauderdale Crime Map - Showing Crime in Fort Lauderdale, FL - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here

Is THAT a "better answer"? I noticed you said you like wildlife. You'll love it down there.
What was I supposed to learn from your "crime map"? That large metropolitan areas have crime? That FTL is the only built-up area where crime exists in the U.S.? I can see that you've clearly not been around.

It's pretty clear that you hate FTL. I guess misery loves company, so you try and make everyone else as miserable as you. If you don't like the area - leave. Some people might actually like FTL, despite its lack of perfection. There are going to be down-sides no matter where you go. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll come to enjoy the positive sides of where you're living at the moment.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:18 AM

Quote:
What was I supposed to learn from your "crime map"? That large metropolitan areas have crime? That FTL is the only built-up area where crime exists in the U.S.? I can see that you've clearly not been around.

It's pretty clear that you hate FTL. I guess misery loves company, so you try and make everyone else as miserable as you. If you don't like the area - leave. Some people might actually like FTL, despite its lack of perfection. There are going to be down-sides no matter where you go. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you'll come to enjoy the positive sides of where you're living at the moment.
<sigh> What are you talking about? I never expressed a single negative thing about where I'm living at the moment. Vero Beach is a dream place with nothing to complain about in terms of housing, crime, atmosphere etc. There's nothing specifically "wrong" with FLL, either except when you demand it be something it isn't, never was and never will be.

YOU were "supposed to learn" that at your price range and stated requirements, that you can only get Progresso, bordered by Sistrunk and coming from not knowing a thing about FLL it's a bad choice and you have to COME HERE to decide WHAT your priorities are because you cannot find what you say you want now. And funniest thing, Progresso doesn't even guarantee you anything like a 20 min commute depending on your work location.

LOL No, I haven't been around, I just moved from Philly the "City of Murder" (which by the way, I love Philly, where I was born and raised). I also lived on the Lower East side NYC which I loved especially when it was a mess I thought it was fun. I also lived in Greece and the NJ shore and South Florida off and on all my life.

I never said anything about HATING FLL you people are wacko. You think because we give you honest feedback when you say you want something that DOESNT EXIST that it means we HATE something. Not to mention you take a perfectly nice friendly NEUTRAL answer and start a fight over it because you don't like the FACTS.

LOL There isn't even such a thing as a SECLUDED area on the OUTSKIRTS of FLL with a 20 minute commute to downtown FLL. In fact there isn't even such a thing as a SECLUDED area anywhere NEAR FLL imo. You can consider downtown Vic Park and Colee Hammock "secluded" if you think seclusion means trees around houses but they are right off of Rt 1. Seclusion in FLL means the 24th floor of a high rise on the beach.

Before guessing about people making accusations about their life experiences, if you read my 1600 posts you'd see I started looking at FLL back in 2007 and I've LIVED in FLL off and on everywhere south...since my father moved us here in the 1960's and FLL originally was my first choice. My mother lived in Tequesta, my kid in FLL and Boca and WPB and I'm in Vero. That's about 4 counties.

If you want a 20 minute commute try TELLING PEOPLE WHERE you're commuting TO and FROM for starters. LOL OH....and FLL is not a LARGE Metropolitan area. It's 31 square miles with a population of 165,000 according to city data 2007.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 04-06-2009 at 08:45 AM..

Old 04-06-2009, 12:56 PM

50 posts, read 186,303 times
answering the OP's questions with realistic answers is getting him down...he wants you to tell him FLL is a beautiful city, crime won't happen to him, his real estate needs are no problem, he'll be right on the beach in an amazing house for his 1000/month....

the guy sounds like another dreamer thinking FL is some paradise to me....20 years living down and you will know the truth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area