U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 01:06 AM

550 posts, read 1,134,239 times

Advertisements

Could someone tell me about the diversity of wildlife in south Florida? With the warmer, year-'round weather there, I know it must be greate than here in the Florida panhandle. I came from Jacksonville, and I was seeing lots of birds (bald eagles, roseate spoonbills, great blue herons, anhingas, kingfishers, wood storks, etc) and occasional small critters crossing the road. Here in Tallahassee I'm seeing deer eating by the side of the road, and the other day I saw a turkey there, too. I always enjoy the hawks sitting on the power lines and the herons bobbing for fish in every big puddle.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 11:19 AM

6,994 posts, read 16,598,369 times
I have seen the following:

Igunanas that look like baby german shepards (in size)

Hawks

bats

Possum

alligators

ibis

Grey herring

wild chickens

peacocks

I am sure I am forgetting some things.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:38 AM

294 posts, read 1,096,459 times
My favorite is the Anhinga. But recently I saw the 'Jesus Lizard' that runs on water in the Everglades. That was pretty cool. I don't think they are native here, but there are reported sightings of them now and then in So Flo.

Old 04-02-2009, 12:14 PM

326 posts, read 1,389,954 times
I have been in ecological research for the whole time I lived there. Our students working at the Seminole reservation (Big Cypress area) saw bears quite a few times. I have never had the luck to see one myself (but, hey, I would not see a deer two feet away from me, such a great ecologist I am...)

Old 04-02-2009, 01:07 PM

550 posts, read 1,134,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vvolin View Post
I have been in ecological research for the whole time I lived there. Our students working at the Seminole reservation (Big Cypress area) saw bears quite a few times. I have never had the luck to see one myself (but, hey, I would not see a deer two feet away from me, such a great ecologist I am...)
Wonderful! If I do wind up making the move down there, I'm going to have to do one of the things I've wanted to do all my life - visit the Everglades. I've seen my share of alligators and various exotic (to me) birds from my time in Jacksonville, but I'm sure they proliferate much more where it doesn't freeze in the winter (yes, Jax freezes in the winter). I used to be a zookeeper, so I'm keen on looking around the environment I'm in to see what I'm sharing it with.

Old 04-02-2009, 01:25 PM

13,908 posts, read 24,180,336 times
While living in Weston we saw fox and wild boar by the Regional Park, in addition to the usual iguanas,
possum, rats, gators and birds. Plenty of snakes around the lakes too.

Old 04-02-2009, 04:08 PM

oh snap, yep forgot, I have seen fox, also borrowing owls, I have also seen the "jesus lizards" in Plantation along a canal. Also saw wild parrots.

Old 04-03-2009, 08:36 AM

763 posts, read 3,392,894 times
Some of the animals I've seen in Miami are: alligators, manatees, foxes, opposums, rabbits, deer, raccoons, huge iguanas, snakes, eagles, ibises, sharks, lots of lizards, dolphins, etc.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinkagy View Post
Some of the animals I've seen in Miami are: alligators, manatees, foxes, opposums, rabbits, deer, raccoons, huge iguanas, snakes, eagles, ibises, sharks, lots of lizards, dolphins, etc.
whoa, you have seen eagles? Where bouts?

Old 04-03-2009, 08:10 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,933,818 times
What about the knats, bees, wasps, snakes, mesquitos, and racoons? No love for them? I always love when I'm hiking in the woods and a diamondback rattles at me, or when I'm driving at night and I run over a racoon or possom splashing guts all over the undercarriage of my car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area