Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2009, 07:32 PM

5 posts, read 16,579 times

Advertisements

Im from upstate NY and I am horrified to move down to South FLorida . The crime statistics for the home invasions are growing rapidly. That's got to be the scariest thing in the world to have someone break in your home and either rob you with a weapon, kill you and rob you,or just kill you.Just to look up and see someone in your house all jacked up and ready for a crime against you while you are relaxing or sleeping is unimaginable. I can't think of what my children would go through if that ever happened. Weather I am a gun owner or not ,you wouldn't have enough time to stop them unless everyone in the home in each room has a gun. Horrifying.
It seems to be a growing epidemic there. It seems the percentages of a south floridian becoming a victim is growing rapidly.
I use to visit alot there and want to move but I started reading crime data and am absolutely was astounded by the number and frequency this happens there. There are several up to date sites that show where the crimes are that I use.
Correct me if I am wrong and tell of any experiences you may of had or know of.
Are people with children afraid there?
I am and I am not even there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2009, 08:40 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,894,521 times
Home invasions are rising all over the south, but still aren't common here in particular beyond one of those planned, "somebody knows somebody" incidents, and there are plenty of those (i.e revenge, drug dealer, etc). Standard burglaries are way up, however, and there are more burglars that are becoming bold enough to break in with someone home. Still, intentional confrontation is rare. Even when there are confrontations, however, it tends to be strong-armed stuff (burglar accidentally confronts homeowner and assaults homeowner, etc). Armed, direct confrontation with the homeowner is not common compared to Miami-Dade, Orlando, Atlanta, Charlotte, etc, in fact, it's not common at all. Far more common are driveway robberies in nice areas that border on bad ones (like west Boynton and parts of Miramar), and I wouldn't even worry too much about that. The home invasion capital of the state is Orlando, by and far, and in that area, it has reached epidemic proportions.

Old 04-05-2009, 12:14 AM

1,558 posts, read 4,782,633 times
Often those who commit home invasion do in so way know the victim. Many home owners are also gun owners, and criminals know this. They would rather not go into a strange home and not know what they are facing. They are not as brave as you think.

Old 04-06-2009, 05:12 PM

5 posts, read 16,579 times
Great info.
Are there any area that are much safer for a family ?
I have better things to do than be looking over my shoulder and listening to strange noises 24/7. I know it happens everywhere but I want my chances of me and my family of being a victim safer than average.
Too stressful to live like that.

Old 04-08-2009, 08:39 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,888,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Hot NY View Post
Great info.
Are there any area that are much safer for a family ?
I have better things to do than be looking over my shoulder and listening to strange noises 24/7. I know it happens everywhere but I want my chances of me and my family of being a victim safer than average.
Too stressful to live like that.
[there are the occasional car jackings too. One in Feb or March right at Sunset near Progresso. ]

Come to Indian River County Vero Beach "where the tropics begin".

Or Jupiter and Tequesta but people are moving up from below there so you might as well come here instead.

It's a perfect place. (give or take 114 sex offenders 149:1...LOL)

Read my profile click all posts and I talk about the perception of high sex offenders that arent really an issue that I can see, the neighborhoods, etc.

We have a theater and it even has a REAL children's theater program and children's plays so although we're not mobbed with kids we have some and they live here. The schools were having construction this year. I think they are A but you have to check, my kid is 29.

Our crime rate is WAY LOWer than FLL -about 550 Vero is about 300. Tequesta is only 132 ha ha . Three different types of cities/villages. FLL a destination, Vero a semi-destinaation and Tequesta not really, only snowbirds.

Our cost of living index is below average too even though there is alot of money in Vero but it's unpretentious and you can t see it. Housing has condos from 30,000 to estates for 25 million.

Every beach entrance (about 4) has a small park with kid playground stuff. UNCROWDED. the beach strip is NICE and has food, stores, etc. Then where the art museum and theater is we have a large 50 acre park on water with jogging trail etc on the same barrier island on the Intracoastal.

Read my posts and come check it out. You can get cheap fares on Southwest to Orlando or WPB or Spirit Airlines. I flew for ONE DOLLAR once.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area