U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2009, 09:08 AM

5 posts, read 15,990 times

Advertisements

Our family of 3 plans to relocate to South Florida from upstate NY and we are searching the Pompano,Weston,Coral Springs, and Boca areas?
It will be me ,my wife and my boy at 13 years old planning to move.

I was wondering if temporary condo living would be safe for him. We will eventually rent a townhome first until I find an area to live in -then buy a condo then a home.I plan on keeping the condo for visiting NY family.
MAin questions are

1.) will it be safe in a condo for us or are there too many transients and temps in and out of them? And does anyone know a safe condo area?

2.) whats the best family oriented area for schools and low crime?

3.) whats the worst crimes that are happening in the places mentioned above or ones you may suggest?
Thank You
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2009, 07:14 AM

242 posts, read 685,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Hot NY View Post

(

1.) will it be safe in a condo for us or are there too many transients and temps in and out of them? And does anyone know a safe condo area?

2.) whats the best family oriented area for schools and low crime?

3.) whats the worst crimes that are happening in the places mentioned above or ones you may suggest?
Thank You
okay, I cannot read....townhome is safer than a condo...but I will leave my mistakes up for you to peruse)

Condos are very scary right now and I suggest renting something else. Even an apartment. Condos all over are seeing large number of units not paying the fees to upkeep the building. Many buildings have or are threatened with having their water shut off (google news that).

Crime is getting so bad around condos they are considering a law to make it mandatory to have a 24 hour security guard to ease the cost of so many police calls to the buildings. (car break ins, etc...lots of vacant units).

I would suggest an apartment for a short term as they are cheap and will not be foreclosed on. Foreclosed/distressed properties are flooding the rental market right now. It is almost impossible to find something under 2500 a month that is not a distressed home that may go into foreclosure and eviction within the next 1 to 12 months.

I know as I tried to find one and could not.

Before you rent, no matter where you rent.....

1) go to bcpa.net and look up the property. Make sure the owner on the tax deed is the person you are dealing with (to avoid a scam)

2) look up that person on broward county public records search to see if their home is in trouble, check out their mortgage.
Broward COUNTY RECORDS VERIFIED THROUGH Friday, Jan 23, 2009. LAST CFN = 108366595 v4.2.1.66

(both of these are free)

Read this too....just to make sure you are okay when renting
How to rent safely during the Depression - Bob's tips on renting safely during the next few years....

If a condo building is 50% vacant or squatted...do you want your kid in that building? As bad as apartments are, you can pick a nice one, ensure your deposit will not be stolen, low move in, and not a worry of foreclosure (except in extreme cases, I know of only two)

note: there is almost no way to tell if a condo building is in trouble..or if a villa/townhome association is in deep trouble. So, be very wary. An ounce of prevention is better than a 3 day eviction notice.

1000 foreclosures in the court a day are being processed in florida. You do not want to rent one.

Please be safe.. and take your time.

Old 04-06-2009, 08:04 AM

10,604 posts, read 15,543,785 times
^^ this post nailed it.

My son's last 3 landlords were foreclosed LOL. (but he didn't have to vacate, he skimmed by).....All leased through realtors. (but in Florida they only fill the properties for the owners they don't "manage" the properties)

And you can't even trust realtors, I had some telling me to SNEAK my birds ( two tiny rescues that weigh 30 grams) INTO properties that would get me evicted...and other realtor nonsense down there. Real estate has been a mess for quite awhile.

When I was looking from Phila some creep homeowner scammed me 2400.00 by "renting" me a property that already had a tenant (and other infractions of the landlord tenant statute)

He actually owned the property on the Hollywood beach...I guess it's a money maker deal....

I had a Hollywood detective investigate him because I thought it was a different scam (renting properties they don't even own)

I checked him on Broward's county clerk site and he had been in court 140 times for ll/tenant issues....has about 25 judgments against him....I'll never see that deposit, I'm way low on the list. One Plaintiff I spoke with said he forged her signature on a lease!

The problem is you need an area with schools for your son. I don't know about schools but others here do. I'd say Boca or Weston (which are far apart in distance). It doesn't really matter till September, right? So you have time to get here in June then look.

Forget Pompano.

If you want to be in Ft Lauderdale, you can rent at Port Royale at 65th and Federal....and they have short term leases too. The office is rude and dorky you have to see the property manager to be told the CORRECT thing like PRICES (LOL) (it is on the border of Pompano but not in a sketchy section). A short drive to the beach.

.....but the property is ok just watch the ROOF WORK...it seems to have been going on for ages and how annoying to live in the constant pounding of nails for months. I was just there on Friday since I might take a job there and need something for monday - friday and it's across the street from there.

The units are too small for the money....but it's an ok neighborhood as far as location and the actual property, on the Intracoastal so you can see some boats and feel like you're in Fl if that's something you want. I'ts a central location you could drive easily from for awhile looking for the right town and rental.

Also for the summer Lauderdale by the Sea but it won't be cheap since it's a tourist section but your kid will enjoy being so close to the beach (if he likes it)...it all depends what you want to spend.

Go to Realtor dot com and put all the towns in and you can sort by price and see the averages. You can't depend on the photos and descriptions all that much you still have to consider there's a b.s. element.

If I had to move there blind (don't do it)....I'd go to BOCA first then Weston. Because Boca is in a "easier" location than all the way out in Weston. But if I had a 13 yr old I'd go where my kid would least likely be exposed to low life. Probably either is fine but I'm only guessing.

Up a bit further Jupiter and Tequesta is a better choice, imo. The population is moving North and Tequesta is still a village type town. But alot of people are enamored with the "town feel" of Weston even though it's out by nothing.

For families - also Wellington out west- south under West Palm Beach but I'm not crazy about being isolated inland and Parkland - out west of Boca, too both perhaps pricey. And Coral Springs west south of Parkland, that's not as pricey.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:04 PM

5 posts, read 15,990 times
Very imformative responses. It really sucks such a beautiful state has so many dam problems lately. I guess that comes with the high growth over the years and lack of state control. The bad economy seems like it's fueling it for the worse . Thankx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area