Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 07:52 AM

245 posts, read 1,168,879 times

Advertisements

Is it a good time to buy or not in south florida, i was reading an article on yahoo that says it's way to risky to buy a house now in south florida..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2009, 11:50 PM

2,685 posts, read 6,404,129 times
That's a tough one to answer. It depends on a few things. How long are you in it for? Will it be 5 years? 10-15? If you can afford to buy now, by all means do so. I think houses are still overpriced down here, and need to come down some more. With that being said, many people are still waiting patiently.

I have no crystal ball or insider secrets to share as to when the prices will stabilize. Mix that with consumer confidence being at an all time low, higher than normal unemployment rate, and that's a recipe for slow sales.

If you like it here, have a great paying, "stable" profession, plan on being here for a good while, have money to put down, have great credit (good income to debt ratio, high score etc), and can negociate aggressively go for it. If not, join the rest of people on the sidelines.

Good Luck.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:44 AM

294 posts, read 1,145,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTOSFLA View Post
Is it a good time to buy or not in south florida, i was reading an article on yahoo that says it's way to risky to buy a house now in south florida..
Some are saying prices will still fall through 2010. However, debt is pretty cheap at around 6% and probably won't go much lower. Moreover, if you buy in 2009, you get an $8,000 credit if it's your first home. Hard to pass up cheap debt and free money (though banks are still pretty tight on lending - you should have at least 20% saved for a down payment).

I say buy if you find a place you like and the price falls within 3X your annual salary.

Buying a home always carries risk - you may lose your job, your house may get hit by a hurricane, your neighborhood might fall apart with foreclosures en massse - it's all part of the deal you sign when agreeing to live in So Flo. If you are risk averse, you should rent till things stabalize.

Old 04-14-2009, 08:58 AM

242 posts, read 733,268 times
IF I were to buy a home in florida I would do some things first.

1) unless the price is below the 2001 price, I am paying too much.
2) since it is a buyers market,20% below 2000 and I would bite.
3) chinese drywall....was it built after 2000? Scary to buy that one without a test
4) Foreclosures should be at least 50% off the 2001 price..60% and I would look at it.

Other than that, it is overpriced to me. However, that does not mean you could afford it and pay it off. But this is a buyers market and why pay a overpriced amount just because the owner did?

At the least I would look into having one built, at a steep discount, by a quality builder. Then I would hire a general contractor to keep tabs on the whole thing from start to finish.

That is why I am renting....lol
And waiting.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:30 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,815,718 times
I keep saying they will drop.

That being said, coincidentally, I was just on zillow watching one of the properties I've been tracking in Tamarac 33321.

My son's old rental. I wanted to buy it but it was SO RIDICULOUSLY overvalued at 900 sq ft in 2005 sold for 252,000 when he moved out. A Mainlands single house on a 5300 sq ft lot. Not even on a canal and in the middle of the block. Only thing going for it was new kitchen.

They've been selling now for 80,000 for short up to about 150,000 lately.

Anyway, zillow shows that neighborhood and another one I was watching going up .05%.

Not much to cling LOL, to but interesting to see what happens next. I think they'll still keep going down, though. Coulda been two sales to trigger that tiny blip.

I haven't checked the comps yet to guess why but I'm dong that next.

And Zillow isn't my favorite but does give accurate data on sales.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatguywho View Post
IF I were to buy a home in florida I would do some things first.

1) unless the price is below the 2001 price, I am paying too much.
2) since it is a buyers market,20% below 2000 and I would bite.
3) chinese drywall....was it built after 2000? Scary to buy that one without a test
4) Foreclosures should be at least 50% off the 2001 price..60% and I would look at it.

Other than that, it is overpriced to me. However, that does not mean you could afford it and pay it off. But this is a buyers market and why pay a overpriced amount just because the owner did?

At the least I would look into having one built, at a steep discount, by a quality builder. Then I would hire a general contractor to keep tabs on the whole thing from start to finish.

That is why I am renting....lol
And waiting.

I agree with almost everything you have to say, except one. It's more of a question. Where would he build down here? There's hardly any affordable and decent sized land down here to build a home on. (I'm thinking SW to NW Broward County for land. Land lots are scarce and super expensive).

The idea is great, I'm all for it. I would do the same myself, but somewhere else (thinking GA., NC, TN ). It is very expensive to custom build down here, unless your parents/relatives left you land they purchased a long time ago. It's a pain in the A$$ to build down here in my opinion, and I also know from friends' experiences.

I'm not saying it's impossible, but if someone is looking for a deep discounted or foreclosed home, custom building may not be for the same person.

Old 04-14-2009, 10:40 AM

16,265 posts, read 43,015,716 times
I think they still have a long ways to go. I look at other markets, like Vegas, etc. and they've dropped significantly.

For whatever reason, most of Southern Florida hasn't YET...I mean it has, but not to the same extent.

Particularly when I look at the housing in FL...and you compare it to TX for example...a $100,000 home will you get you A LOT in Texas, but in FL, they look like a slight step up from a manufactured home.

Old 04-14-2009, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think they still have a long ways to go. I look at other markets, like Vegas, etc. and they've dropped significantly.

For whatever reason, most of Southern Florida hasn't YET...I mean it has, but not to the same extent.

Particularly when I look at the housing in FL...and you compare it to TX for example...a $100,000 home will you get you A LOT in Texas, but in FL, they look like a slight step up from a manufactured home.

I dont think they have gone down enough, I agree they should come down to realistic levels. Some people are still on cloud nine thinking they'll get what they ask for these houses. The only thing that helps South Florida is the fact that there aren't many areas to build any more new houses. When all this boom was going on, I was one to say when it bursts it will hit Florida hard.

Old 04-14-2009, 03:32 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,315,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterNY View Post
I dont think they have gone down enough, I agree they should come down to realistic levels. Some people are still on cloud nine thinking they'll get what they ask for these houses. The only thing that helps South Florida is the fact that there aren't many areas to build any more new houses. When all this boom was going on, I was one to say when it bursts it will hit Florida hard.
To be fair, a lot of people can't afford to lower their prices. Look at it like this, you purchased at the height or near it for lets say 500,000. Foreclosures and short sales are going for 150,000 in your neighborhood so that is now the comp prices in your area. Can you really afford to take a hair cut on 350,000? So yeah, they are asking for stupid amounts of money, but they cant really afford to sell either. Those who think they can "ride it out" and "sell when things bounce back" will be dead and buried before that happens. The prices will continue to fall though because affordability given incomes are still not in line. Oh and did you see whats they FINALLY admitted about the NYC housing market? Hell has frozen over for the foolish.

Old 04-14-2009, 07:52 PM

1,054 posts, read 3,234,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

This is so true. These South Floridians are not really budging.
Othrer markets have come down significantly, but not us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area