Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-13-2009, 01:09 PM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times

Advertisements

How would someone compare these three areas?

Ideally, I am a person that enjoys SOMEWHERE to go, somewhere with something that is walkable - generally downtowns or beaches.

I realize NONE of these would be that place...but I also have a wife and kid and kid is too young for school yet, but him being able to play freely without worry is of course good...but more than anything, need areas that are reasonably affordable, and the above three seem to fit that criteria.

So how would someone differentiate the three areas - Tamarac, Margate and Davie?

(p.s., what is Coconut Creek exactly? When I did searches for it, Margate came up on a realtor website. Are they next to each other or is it within Margate or something?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2009, 10:06 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Anyone?

Old 04-20-2009, 10:06 AM

3,910 posts, read 9,466,972 times
I will say this. In Davie you can easily access either 595 or I-95 depending on what part, and shoot over to the beaches pretty easily. Also, I feel like there is more nightlife in the Davie/Plantation area than Tamarac or Margate. I feel like Tamarac/Margate are a little more laid back with older populations. Not sure if I'm too accurate with these observations since I've never lived in any of those places, but I've driven through a bunch of times.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:53 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I like Davie for families.

Margate and Tamarac are older communities with more of an emphasis on seniors. My parents live in Tamarac and it is fairly nice (they are in the western area) but very heavily populated with senior citizens.

Coconut Creek is another city in Broward. It has some sketchy neighborhoods but some pretty nice ones as well. The nicer areas of Coconut Creek should be family friendly. I suspect the schools will be better in Davie, but I am not 100% sure.

Old 05-01-2009, 11:07 PM

176 posts, read 646,704 times
Davie is more pleasant on the eyes with a lot more emphasis on old florida (fruit stands, batten's farm, old style clapboard houses, sw 61 ave with the cow pasture that's tucked behind the trees) whereas margate has more of a boxed in urban feel and tamarac is cookie-cutter whitewashed house after house.....though margate does have retiree villages..on margate blvd west of 441 and they are very nice and peaceful places....but I really love the parts of davie that went unhampered (I like the fact when you go down roads that in other parts of town are "out east" it's like a mini-country drive, i.e. davie rd between griffin and stirling)

Old 05-03-2009, 01:02 PM

351 posts, read 1,126,507 times
Tamarac and Margate really do not have any walkable areas, unfortunately. There are indeed a lot of bargains on single family homes in these areas, but the public schools are not well regarded, from my knowledge. I live in NW Fort Lauderdale near these areas and am familiar with them.

Coconut Creek is adjacent (northwest) of Margate and has newer housing stock including a number of new developments. I would advise you to look in Coconut Creek around Sample and Lyons, there is the new Promenade outdoor shopping center, and I notice a lot of families and people walking from the neighborhoods nearby (Banyan Trails/Banyan Trace and others - I forget the names but just ask your realtor about this area) and there are nice sidewalks and bicycle lanes. Coconut Creek is a convenient location and has a very family -friendly vibe and decent schools. I spend a good deal of time in this area and to me, the traffic also seems tolerable.

Old 05-03-2009, 10:19 PM

6 posts, read 22,445 times
There are some nice deals around Sample and Lyons but, that area has changed a lot in the past 5 years. I would be Davie bound. check www zillow .com , they have area stats on schools and demographics.

Old 05-04-2009, 07:31 AM

1,054 posts, read 3,243,813 times
North Coconut Creek. Family friendly. Good area. Promenade, Sabal Pines park, better schools, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area