Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 01:12 PM

202 posts, read 539,192 times

Advertisements

Possible 900 teachers are being let go, while Palm Beach is hiring?
HMMMMMMMM - What is going on Mr. Notter?

Come to the Town Hall meeting Monday to voice your concern:

http://browardschools.com/pdf/townhall.pdf (broken link)

Broward County: Budget cuts force school district to trim up to 900 teachers -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

Palm Beach County schools: Palm Beach County School District gets creative to save jobs, avoid layoffs, create new positions -- South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 01:55 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
I used to be a teacher, my heart goes out to you guys. But on the flip side of it, population in Broward is down and so is school enrollment. So naturally they wont need as many teachers (not enough students support current teacher levels). I would say maybe look to move to counties that have more population growth. I hope for the best for the teachers out there and hope things turn out ok for you guys.

Old 04-27-2009, 02:25 PM

207 posts, read 614,234 times
wow, 900, thats scary!

Old 04-30-2009, 01:04 AM

87 posts, read 256,778 times
Post My best wishes for Broward's teachers...

My sincere best wishes for you, teachers. I clearly understand what you feel... indignation, frustration, confusion, etc. I know everyone of you have done the best for a high quality education... and now are receiving a layoff as a reward.

But remember that the situation is the same statewide and almost everywhere nationwide. Here are the latest news for Orange County School District:
  1. In March 2009, the district estimated cuts to grow to more than $240 million.
  2. In 2008-2009, Orange County schools lost about $93 million in state funding.
  3. The district has already cut about 600 jobs, mostly administrative.
  4. School Board leaders changed school start times to avoid opening new schools, cut down on teacher costs and saved transportation money. However, public outcry lead the board to reverse this decision.
  5. Orange Co. School Board Members have cut their salaries.
  6. As of March 24, 2009 (still subject to final vote): School Board Members decide to close 6 elementary schools.
  7. Orange County school leaders are seriously considering cutting some of the district's sports programs as a way to trim the budget for next fiscal year, which begins July 1.
  8. Orange County school officials are proposing to close an additional 8 small elementary schools next year, hoping to save up to $8 million to partially offset expected budget cuts.
Reference:
Central Florida News 13. (2009). Education Cuts County-By-County. Retrieved April 30, 2009 from http://www.cfnews13.com/News/Sidebar...ybycounty.html

Last edited by flmover; 04-30-2009 at 01:08 AM.. Reason: Adding source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area