Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2009, 03:11 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,470,837 times

Advertisements

BambaBoy>

Glad you enjoyed your visit here. You should take another trip here sometime in the next few years and try to hit a few more of the things you missed last time. There is plenty to do here, so you don't even need to visit so many places. Just bring a bathing suit and go to restaurants. That's fun enough let alone all of the tourist attractions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 11:24 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,237,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post

5. The Water Taxi- You can take a water taxi ride in the Intracoastal Waterway for about $13. You ride in the Intracoastal Waterway and a tourguide gives you a tour of all of the sights along the water. There is so much to see, lots of rich CEO's mansions like the guy from Circuit City, Donald Trump, Wayne Huzuinga, etc.
Oh my god! i was so sick of hearing about Wayne Huzuinga by the end of the day, i wanted to throw up. who the hell cares about Wayne Huzuinga! that whole shpeal about him and his family ruined my ride on the water taxi. ruined it. so he's rich. how friggin exciting. the water taxi sites were beautiful, but the employees were annoying between begging for tips and talking about these rich old folks. "Wayne Huzuinga Wayne Huzuinga
Wayne Huzuinga Wayne Huzuinga Wayne Huzuinga Wayne Huzuinga ". thats is what the water taxi ride sounds like.

Old 07-18-2009, 12:42 PM

13 posts, read 71,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miki72 View Post
Dear Nolefan34,
I am really impressed by your knowledge of the are (I've increased your reputation :-)
I'm leaving in CT but my company is asking me to move to Miami. Our office is in Hollywood and I need to find a place to live and commute...
I leave alone and I'd love to find a nice and safe place, possibly near the sea (water view) and near to a nice area where is "easy" to meet people and make some friends (this is the main problem here in CT...). I was thinking about the Brikell, someone suggested Ft Lauderdale...what's your suggestion knowing so well the area?
Many many thanks,
Miki
I live in Hollywood and highly recommend it. Ft Lauderdale and Miama are just a hop, skip, away. Hollywood Beach is a great place to meet people. Once the sun starts setting, the promenade becomes alive with folks young, old, and families.

Also, Hollywood is quiet. Not the busy bustle like Ft Laud or Miama.

What company, or more precisely, where will you be working?

If you are looking for an apartment, I'd look the new building on the corner of Hollywood BLVD and US1 (NW corner). Maybe rent a room in a house east of US1. If looking to rent, or buy a house, look into Hollywood Hills. It's the area west of I95 between Sheridan St and Hollywood BLVD.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:02 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,742,732 times
Hi Nolefan34 & Floridans,

We'll be visiting Ft. Lauderdale on 08/26 this month and staying at the Wyndham Pam-aire until 08/30.

I have a few questions and hope you guys can help.

1) What are the recommended beaches (clean for swiming & snorkeling)? Should we just concentrate on Pompano beach, Dania beach, Deerfield beach & Hollywood beach? I had an amazing evening at the Hollywood broadwalk last year during my visit to Miami, but did not have a chance to try out the beach. I heard the best site for snorkeling is somewhere in Boca Raton. Is that true?

2) What is your recommendation for the Florida Everglades tour? According to several sites, it seems some of the popular tours are the Billie Swamp Safari, Swamp Buggy Eco Tour, Cypress Lake Airboat Rides and Eco Tours. Which one should we pick? Is it necessary to book them in advance? I heard there are quite a few airboat companies in the Everglades, and their tours are cheaper. Or should I follow Nolefan's suggestion to take the airboat & eco tour at the Tamiami Trail/Everglades?

Many thanks in advance.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:54 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Default Name of BBQ place, please

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Bamba>

There's a town called Clewiston and there's a good BBQ restaurant there.
Do you happen to know the name of the BBQ restaurant? Maybe it is the only one. Hubby and I want to ride around Lake O on bikes and BBQ would be nice afterwards.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:50 PM

7 posts, read 42,195 times
Stop by Sushi Rock on Las Olas Blvd. AMAZING designer sushi and not expensive at all. Great neon light atmosphere and quaint crowd. When I think of Las Olas, I think of this place all the time. It has a great energy, because people eat here before they go out for the night life.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:24 PM

52 posts, read 102,782 times
Default Coincidence...coincidence

Hey, I know it's a tad late to reply to this post but it's quite a coincidence; I rencently moved from Ft. Lauderdale area to Houston, Tx a few months ago and I still don't get used to it here completely.

South Florida has tons of places to visit, probable too many to post here anyway. From north to south I'd say you should visit Lake Okeechobee in Palm Beach county, also the beautiful city of West Palm Beach (in which many rich people have beautiful mansions, including Bill Gates), in Broward county you can visit the beautiful beaches of Ft. Lauderdale, by Las Olas and in Hollywood. There are also many parks you can visit, you can take boat tours that'll take you thru the cannals of the Venice of America (the nickname given to Ft. Lauderdale for its many cannals and channels), it is a mind blowing experience. Weston is a very good city by the way. Broward is probably my favorite county in SFL, but I can't seem to remeber all the fun stuff that I did on it for some reason right now. In Miami-Dade county you obviously know about the world-known city of Miami, it's downtown, bayside in biscayne boulevard is a very good place to visit, it has a great view and many high quality restaurants. Miami Beach is obviously the place for great beaches, nightlife, clubing, etc. Farther south in Monroe county is where the Florida keys are located. They are just incredible, it's beyond mind-blowing man You travel on a long road thru small and incredible "islands" (keys) and a few that stand out are Marathon, Islamorada, Key Largo, and obviously Key West. Here you'll pass through the 7-mile bridge, a bridge built over the sea (it's called the overseas highway) and you'll see the old bridge that was left after a new bridge was built. Key west has plenty of beautiful destinations, antique-looking houses, and exquisite restaurants.

You'll love Florida, just like I do, and so many people more do.

Enjoy Florida to its best, it has a lot to offer.

Old 08-21-2009, 08:58 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,709,754 times
safltx,

Not too late to reply to this thread. Stickied this thread because I believed it would be helpful to all first time visitors of Florida and those who live here looking for stay-cation ideas. Thanks for your contribution.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 AM
pb1

1 posts, read 5,314 times
Dear All,

Travelling from Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale. Is there a route that avoids the interstates/freeways as I don't like the traffic?

Many thanks.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:31 AM

13 posts, read 71,717 times
NO!!! If traveling from MIA to Ft Laud, the last thing you want is to get lost in Miami-Dade county.

Just take the airport expressway to I-95 and head north. It.s a 15 minute drive, and safe.

Not to alarm you, but there have been a few incidents where tourists got lost in MDC and stopped to ask for directions, only to be mugged, or worse, murdered.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area