U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2009, 06:32 AM

20 posts, read 68,834 times

Advertisements

Come on really where is a better true tropical major big city in the world???climate Tropical climate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia =must meet this criteria to be in the debate...

honolulu, hawaii comes in 2nd place but to me its not even close Hawaii your stuck on a island in the middle of the Vast Pacific ocean. and unless you are a hardcore surfer and huge pothead you will leave hawaii. I mean I once was thinking of going to Uof H for college but i then realized i could drive around the whole island in about 3 or 4 hours!!! No thanks

-San diego, LA, Houston/ galveston, all too cold sorry they don't make the cut they can not be added into the discussion. Tampa, Fl would be close but too cold there as well...

ok what about outside the U.S.? anything out there? I mean miami and fort lauderdale do have their bad slums and ghettos but it seems to me all the tropical city's outside the U.S. have far worse living conditions/ghettos/bad drinking water ect... ex: (Africa, South america, parts of south asian)

and yes i know miami is in the subtrobics )slightly above the tropic of cancer);but that doesnt matter their average monthly temperature never falls below 64.4 degrees(see above citation) thus making south florida have a true tropical climate

Miami - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia-

Please Argue with me or agree why Miami/FLL is the best tropical climate (major)city in the world

Last edited by Fairlyz33; 05-02-2009 at 06:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 06:53 PM

3,912 posts, read 8,456,678 times
The Tropic of Cancer actually runs through Fort Lauderdale I thought. So we are basically sub-tropical. The other cities you mentioned are not sub-tropical. There is a vast difference between the weather here in South FL vs. Tampa during the winter months. Tampa is in central FL and it is much colder there on a typical winter day than in S. FL. So I really don't see how you can compare Miami/Fort Lauderdale to other cities in the U.S. This is the only part of the country where people go to the beach on X-mas. That said, I'm not sure how Miami/Fort Lauderdale would stack up to Melbourne, Australia. I've heard great things about Melbourne and Sidney as being world-class cities.

I agree with most of what you say, but most of your argument relates to weather. You don't take into account employment, cost of living, crime, traffic, etc. Those are all negative factors that would weigh down S. FL versus other areas right now.

The whole ghetto/slum thing isn't any worse than most major U.S. metropolitan areas, so I find it amusing that people use it to describe S. FL as a "slum area". Yes there are really bad neighborhoods like Opa-Locka, Miami Gardens, and parts of Fort Lauderdale are pretty bad. But cities like L.A., Atlanta, Detroit, and New Orleans are infamous for slum neighborhoods. I doubt we have more slums than those cities. We also have more than enough nice areas to offset the slums. Thanks to the real-estate bubble we have a bunch of newer developments and gated communities as well. Not to mention the Miami condo market.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:08 PM

326 posts, read 1,350,751 times
I like Fort Lauderdale, I would move back there in second. Every time I can I go back to my home there which, thanks to the real estate crisis, I will get to keep for a long time (I am not being sarcastic, it was actually a way to make a decision - to keep it - which would have been difficult to make otherwise)\

However, it is a big statement to say that it is the best area at that latitude. A few years ago my husband and I chose to live for six months in Brisbane, Australia, because it was at the same latitude as FTL and we needed to set up a scientific study at the same latitude as Big Cypress. Brisbane, although at the same latitude, is quite colder during their winter months, but similarly hot in the summer. As for its life style, I found no comparison: it is so much more than FTL is: in terms of services, public transportation, public schooling, environmental awareness, farmers markets, you name it.....

I bet there are other areas to consider as well, unless we want to limit our search to the States. In that case, well, are there any other tropical/subtropical regions besides Hawaii? I did not think so. Florida in one of a kind in the continental US.

Old 05-02-2009, 07:16 PM

3,912 posts, read 8,456,678 times
vvolin>

I think S. FL and some cities in Australia are the only subtropical metropolitan areas in the entire industrialized world. So there really isn't a whole lot else to compare it to. There may be some cities in the far-east, but I'm not sure you'd call them subtropical climates.

As far as goods and services, I'm pretty sure South FL has it all. I see what you're saying though, the quality of the services probably far exceed what you find here in South Florida. But I feel that for a city of Fort Lauderdale's size we have a good amount of amenities compared to elsewhere. We really lack in education.

Old 05-02-2009, 09:05 PM

6,993 posts, read 16,023,284 times
Where to begin. By what criteria are we basing this on? Economy, if so then South Florida loses. Cost of living to income ratios? South Florida loses again. Quality of life levels, well that is highly subjective so we will ignore that one. I can't really think of one thing that South Florida dominates in that would make it better than any other place.

Old 05-03-2009, 04:15 AM

20 posts, read 68,834 times
Wild Style- If you are arguing against me you need to name some major cities in the world that are better than south florida(MIA and FTLL). These cities must have a TRUE TROPICAL CLIMATE

Brisbane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia- Brisbane is a nice place i'm sure but Its SUBTROPICAL- THE WINTERS ARE A LITTLE TOO COLD TO BE CLASSIFIED TROPICAL

Many people hate south florida I understand that... But please where else is there better? It would have to be in somewhere in Mexico/Central america, parts of south america, parts of africa, or south east asian? I highly doubt these places have a better quality of life and incomes/economies than So Fl. But if someone can name some cities I'll do the reseach for myself but so far I can't find anywhere better. I am American so yes I am probably biased.

-Note there are no major metro cities in australia that have a tropical climate; but at the same time there are many fabulous areas there that are tropical (even tropical rainforests)

File:Earthmap720x360 grid.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia- THE TROPIC OF CANCER runs though North cuba but that doesn't matter south florida is still a tropical climate

Miami has a true tropical climate, specifically tropical monsoon (Köppen climate classification Am),[23] with hot & humid summers and warm & mostly dry winters. The city does experience cold fronts from late October through March. However, the average monthly temperature for any month has never been recorded as being under 64.4 °F (January averages 67 °F).[24] Most of the year is warm and humid, and the summers are almost identical to the climate of the Caribbean tropics. In addition, the city gets most of its rain in the summer (wet season) and is mostly dry and mild in winter (dry season). The wet season lasts from May to October, when it gives way to the dry season, which features mild temperatures with some invasions of cool air, which is when the little winter rainfall occurs — with the passing of a front. The hurricane season largely coincides with the wet season.
In addition to its sea-level elevation, coastal location and position just above the Tropic of Cancer, the area owes its warm, humid climate to the Gulf Stream, which moderates climate year-round. A typical summer day does not have temperatures below 75 °F (24 °C). Temperatures in the high 80s to low 90s (30-35 °C) accompanied by high humidity are often relieved by afternoon thunderstorms or a sea breeze that develops off the Atlantic Ocean, which then allow lower temperatures, although conditions still remain very muggy. During winter, humidity is significantly lower, allowing for cooler weather to develop. Average minimum temperatures during that time are around 60 °F (15 °C),

Old 05-03-2009, 07:36 AM

326 posts, read 1,350,751 times
Brisbane - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia- Brisbane is a nice place i'm sure but Its SUBTROPICAL- THE WINTERS ARE A LITTLE TOO COLD TO BE CLASSIFIED TROPICAL

You are right. When we were looking at the best place to locate our study, nothing better than Brisbane came up in Australia, and it was not a perfect match to South Florida, just a good enough one. We were studying the life traits of a plant, and its distribution chose the location for us. On the other hand, I did not think this thread's comparison had any scientific reason to be: after all, quality of life is one of the least scientifically comparable set of factors. But if it does, then my note can certainly be trashed.

Finally, and I know this is just one way to look at it, South Florida (excluding the Keys) is, from an ecological stand point, considered sub-tropical. This is based on the distribution of plant communities, not on the classifications you find on Wikipedia, so don't shoot me for this, please. It is just to add a piece of info that someone may find interesting.

Last edited by vvolin; 05-03-2009 at 07:54 AM..

Old 05-03-2009, 07:43 AM

2,143 posts, read 7,441,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
The Tropic of Cancer actually runs through Fort Lauderdale I thought.
If the Tropic of Cancer ran through Ft; Lauderdale, Miami would be tropical. It's considered sub tropical, because the Tropic of Cancer is south of Florida, and runs through Cuba.

Old 05-03-2009, 09:41 AM

10,604 posts, read 15,526,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlyz33 View Post
Wild Style- If you are arguing against me you need to name some major cities in the world that are better than south florida(MIA and FTLL). These cities must have a TRUE TROPICAL CLIMATE
Well your argument is a straw man. Your question is opinion based only not fact based. You're splitting hairs on a couple of degrees making some case about being "tropical" as if there's anything else in the US that is tropical anyway .

Throwing in "quality of life" is completely subjective and for many, Miami has a terrible "quality" of life, for me included. You're looking for a "better major city" since you have a subjective view of what is "the best" as does everyone.

You even say major BIG city and by NO standards is FLL a MAJOR BIG CITY. In fact, Miami hardly qualifies since it's only 36 sq miles.

Even Port Saint Lucie up here is 75 sq miles.

Miami is not a BIG city compared to others, but ok, for argument's sake it's a city. Just like where I live Vero Beach is a city ....with 17000 people.

But Miami is not in any way a good quality of life, with over 25% living in poverty, the crime index, the "very high" density rating, and the "very high" cost of living rating.

THEN, you say compared to "South Florida" and also are lumping Miami and FLL together as an entity (city) but insisting for someone to come up with a specific "city" elsewhere. Miami-Dade is a region not a city. Miami and FLL aren't even in the same counties.

FLL is a giant suburb 31 sq miles with some town squares in it with a coupla buses LOL. By no means does it qualify coloquially as a city let alone a big city any more than Wilton Manors and the fact that they are both incorporated as a city.

Not to mention there are no jobs in the whole region so where's that "quality of life"?

You may have more people willing to argue with you if you post to forums of Australia, Brazil, Singapore....

Old 05-03-2009, 09:55 AM

10,604 posts, read 15,526,848 times
By the way, using your criteria (that link) Palm Beach qualifies so if you think Miami has a better quality of life than Palm Beach there's no reasoning with that logic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area