Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2009, 07:51 PM

5 posts, read 9,860 times

Advertisements

My family is relocating from Atlanta area to South Florida and we are still not sure if it is a good time to buy or to rent instead. We are also debating between Coral Springs, West Miramar and Weston. My main concern is good school. It's a very stressful change but we must move because of our jobs. 2 questions: Should we rent first - What would be the best area for our kids Education. I found this forum to be a good tool. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2009, 07:59 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
When moving to a new city, its always best to rent for a year first. This gives you the chance to get to know the areas better. You don't want to buy a place and a year latter wish you had bought some place else.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:07 PM

19 posts, read 106,920 times
Good advice DoggieBus. I would DEFINITELY wait and just rent for a while. What jobs are in S FL and not in Atlanta? Of course unless you are marine biologists, lol. People usually leave S Florida and go where you are, your headed in the wrong direction, lol.

Old 05-07-2009, 08:53 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,892,322 times
Rent.

1. Weston
3. Coral Springs/West Miramar. Choose the right spot in both areas for the best schools. The main difference between the two is that Coral Springs is mostly established and west Miramar mostly didn't exist 5 years ago.

Also consider Cooper City.

Old 05-07-2009, 09:18 PM

259 posts, read 840,261 times
Rent, Rent, Rent and you will thank us all later. What area will you guys be working? Is traffic a factor for you?

Old 05-08-2009, 08:21 AM

5 posts, read 9,860 times
We will be working in fort lauderdale area. Thanks to all of you for replying. I will start looking at the rental option.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:40 AM

326 posts, read 1,452,611 times
I would also move in the same direction as you are. As for schools, if Catholic schools don't bother you, check out those: they have scholarships and are not exceedingly expensive anyway. Not easy to get in though. As for public schools, the problem of renting is that the next year your kids may have to adapt to another new school. It won't kill them, but you may want to consider that. I also recommend renting, especially because you get a feeling not only of the areas, but also the prices. However, if you really like a place, you can certainly buy now, although prices are still going down, but do so only if you plan to hang in there for 5 to 10 years at least. It is not easy to find good public high schools. People will tell you that there are some, but I am skeptical of all of them. In some schools, though, if your kids qualify for high level classes, they may be able to get out a decent education. I am just not sure. Standards about what good education is are different for different people. Consider that when you receive an opinion (mine included, lol!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area