Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 08:46 AM

3 posts, read 7,062 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

We just moved from north to Fort Lauderdale, my husband and I and we've been looking for a place to rent for 3 weeks. $2500-$3000. And guess what ? We have not find anything.
Ok we do not knowe very well all the good neighborhood of FTL... we've looked so far on Coral Ridge area. We love this area, but all the houses seems more expensive.
We have looked also on Victoria Park, but we find it too old (the houses!)

So my question is, for that budget, which nice neighborhood (coral ridge-like) would you recommend to look for a house (3BR, pool, 2 garage car), < 20min commute from I95 and commercial ?

Thank you so much

Laubee
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,896,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laubee View Post
Hi All,

We just moved from north to Fort Lauderdale, my husband and I and we've been looking for a place to rent for 3 weeks. $2500-$3000. And guess what ? We have not find anything.
Ok we do not knowe very well all the good neighborhood of FTL... we've looked so far on Coral Ridge area. We love this area, but all the houses seems more expensive.
We have looked also on Victoria Park, but we find it too old (the houses!)

So my question is, for that budget, which nice neighborhood (coral ridge-like) would you recommend to look for a house (3BR, pool, 2 garage car), < 20min commute from I95 and commercial ?

Thank you so much

Laubee
I spent months in that situation but not looking for so short a term. Just find a condo on the water if you can find a short term. You should be able to in summer especially.

Three weeks? or three months?

Wanting a 3 BR house with a pool 2 car garage and 20 minute commute that is NEW for THREE WEEKS is a bit of a strong demand.

Saying it can't be "old" is even worse. FLL is NOT a new city and "new" housing developments are not in downtown. You may find one that's been upgraded but there are essentially no NEW SF HOUSES in that part of FLL.

Regarding finding one, it's not worth the aggravation to a homeowner to go through that whole rental process for a three week tenant then have to fix it up again for a new one? And pay a realtor? Change all the utilities etc, what a pain.

After all it's only three weeks. or is it three months?

Try Lauderdale by the Sea it's over commercial. Touristy and may be more accommodating to short short term.

Your rate at 3000.00 is only 100.00 per day and it's a tourist destination. EVERYBODY would love what you're asking for if it existed

Check Realtor dot com for rentals that look like they have a realtor with alot of listings. OR Vacation Rent By Owner VRBO site where there are alot of people renting out in high and off season for a month or daily. But I don't think you'll like the pricing for a sf house from what I remember but it's off season. Try it though, I see tons of listings now on there.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:08 AM

I have been looking for 3 weeks so far. I am looking for a long term leasing (12 months). lol sorry for my english I am from France
And when I say new, I mean not necesseraly NEW but a looking-new (remodeled would be fine).
I am a little bit desperate in fact.... beeing in a hotel for three weeks, with no home, and all our furniture in a storage is a little bit long for us

In fact, I don't know if our expectations are too high for our budget, or if we should look the other side (west) of the I-95

Old 05-09-2009, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laubee View Post
I have been looking for 3 weeks so far. I am looking for a long term leasing (12 months). lol sorry for my english I am from France
And when I say new, I mean not necesseraly NEW but a looking-new (remodeled would be fine).
I am a little bit desperate in fact.... beeing in a hotel for three weeks, with no home, and all our furniture in a storage is a little bit long for us

In fact, I don't know if our expectations are too high for our budget, or if we should look the other side (west) of the I-95
HA HA OK.

NO your budget should get you a nice house. The problem there is finding a realtor to work with they are difficult since the housing market crashed.

Try Realtor.com and the VRBO site.

VRBO people WILL RENT ANNUALLY, I saw that before when I was looking they decrease the rate if you take it annually....one year.

Find the words annually in the listings sometimes it's hard to see there's so much on there. They have photos too.

Good luck. It's difficult the houses look nice then you get there and the neighbors have a mattress or something on their porch

If you're REALLY desperate you may have to get a large condo. Beautiful views but shared pool.

Try and stay in town going west is a LONG commute IMO losing an hour or two a day of your life in the car.

Other people will show up and help you next, I never did end up in FLL I went north because the job didn't work out anyway in FLL so I didnt need to find anything urgently.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 AM

326 posts, read 1,453,126 times
Coral Ridge and Victoria Park tend to be more expensive than other neighborhoods, but your budget should still get you a nice house to rent and you should pursue the area you like. You definitely need a good realtor. It is not worth doing it on your own, as you may miss the best match for you. I believe we can not recommend realtors on this board. Even if we could, I know a very good one but in Hollywood.

PS: Are you also looking for schools? Summit Quest Montessori in Davie seems to be the place to be for European families.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 AM

Thank you for your answers.

We keep on looking, we are just two of us with no children, thus not looking for schools.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:07 AM

I found several on realtor dot com. right away ...at 33304 One townhouse NEW in Vic park with no pool and one on ft royal isle nicely updated.with a pool...and ne 20th terrace both in 33308... some are way overpriced to me compared to the gorgeous condos for less.

Look at Galt Ocean mile's views in the photos. a trade off for the private pool, though in a condo...

I dont think we're allowed to post re links here. but start on these websites.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:37 AM
fwi

56 posts, read 156,988 times
Hi,
I was a Realtor in Fort Lauderdale for 18 years until 2 years ago, I am retired now. I am also from France. I lived in Las Olas Isles and sold exclusively east of Federal.
Most realtors will not bother with rentals, as the pay (if any) for the amount of work (and don't forget liability) involved, does not warrant the effort.!
Realtor.com is a waste of time, as it is not updated very often and most of the deals on there are long gone. Planet realtor is much more accurate and up to date.
The budget you have for a house should be sufficient for something modest in certain areas.
Most of the 3/2 pool 2 car garage homes are newer built homes and will be either way more than $3K or will be in the outlying areas (Pompano, Deerfield, Hollywood, Plantation, Coral Springs, Davie.
None of these areas will give you the "20 minute" commute you are seeking. (It takes that long just to go from I-95 to Federal Hwy on any of the major east-west streets).
You should be able to find a house in Coral Ridge for that price, but probably without a pool.
Remember this, the closer you get to the ICW from Federal the higher the price.
Be careful in anything anywhere off of Dixie Hwy, also anything just west of downtown FLL north of Broward Blvd all the way up to Sunrise.
Good luck,
Georges

Old 05-09-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwi View Post
Hi,
I was a Realtor in Fort Lauderdale for 18 years until 2 years ago, I am retired now. I am also from France. I lived in Las Olas Isles and sold exclusively east of Federal.
Most realtors will not bother with rentals, as the pay (if any) for the amount of work (and don't forget liability) involved, does not warrant the effort.!
Realtor.com is a waste of time, as it is not updated very often and most of the deals on there are long gone. Planet realtor is much more accurate and up to date.
The budget you have for a house should be sufficient for something modest in certain areas.
Most of the 3/2 pool 2 car garage homes are newer built homes and will be either way more than $3K or will be in the outlying areas (Pompano, Deerfield, Hollywood, Plantation, Coral Springs, Davie.
None of these areas will give you the "20 minute" commute you are seeking. (It takes that long just to go from I-95 to Federal Hwy on any of the major east-west streets).
You should be able to find a house in Coral Ridge for that price, but probably without a pool.
Remember this, the closer you get to the ICW from Federal the higher the price.
Be careful in anything anywhere off of Dixie Hwy, also anything just west of downtown FLL north of Broward Blvd all the way up to Sunrise.
Good luck,
Georges
Sorry, you are mistaken. Most MLS are also on realtor dot com. I've been looking since Dec 07 and all the custom (waste of time) MLS dumps sent to me by realtors were also on Realtor.com.I love how they put a zip and send me the ENTIRE dump without even looking at them. You're right no interest in making any money or building any relationship for a future sale. Bitter people. And lazy in my case.

If they don't want to "bother" with rentals they perhaps they should avoid LISTING rentals? N'est-ce pas??

Relator dot com is not outdated in the least. Old perhaps as the market is not moving but active listings.

florida planet realtor returns exactly TWO properties for rent in FLL Did I use it incorrectly?

(http://webapps2.planetrealtor.com/rpa/rnt_search.RNT_res_search_engine - broken link)

Old 05-09-2009, 08:35 PM
fwi

56 posts, read 156,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Sorry, you are mistaken. Most MLS are also on realtor dot com. I've been looking since Dec 07 and all the custom (waste of time) MLS dumps sent to me by realtors were also on Realtor.com.I love how they put a zip and send me the ENTIRE dump without even looking at them. You're right no interest in making any money or building any relationship for a future sale. Bitter people. And lazy in my case.

If they don't want to "bother" with rentals they perhaps they should avoid LISTING rentals? N'est-ce pas??

Relator dot com is not outdated in the least. Old perhaps as the market is not moving but active listings.

florida planet realtor returns exactly TWO properties for rent in FLL Did I use it incorrectly?

(http://webapps2.planetrealtor.com/rpa/rnt_search.RNT_res_search_engine - broken link)

Yes you did.
Like I said, realtor.com is not updated daily or even weekly!
Realtors are not bitter people, some are good and a lot are not, but for the most part they are just regular hard working people who do not have the free time to waste on potential renters for a lousy $1000 or so commission (read gross paycheck....no withholdings or taxes)!
Can you imagine a lawyer working for free for hours and hours dispensing free legal advice?
If you knew anything about the business (and especially as it applies to Florida with all of the dreamers, scammers and BS' ers that arrive here daily) you would not even make these statements.
I have been here since 1979, so where do you live ..........Vero Beach?
What exactly do you know about Fort lauderdale except what you have "read on VRBO or realtor.com" or perhaps been here for a visit ??
The real problem is from people who have visited Florida once or twice, who all of a sudden become experts on all things pertaining to Florida and "advise" people that are seeking honest opinions on which to base some of their life changing decisions on and what they actually get is BS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area