U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area
 [Register]
Fort Lauderdale area Broward County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2009, 10:37 AM

11 posts, read 20,776 times

Advertisements

Hey me and my girlfriend are planning on moving to south florida area, we're 25 and 23 work in IT and Financial Planning. We're making a visit in july and wanted to narrow it down to some areas / apartment complexes. We're from St. Louis and always have bars and places to go to until 3-5 am and we usually like to go out on weekends, weekdays just looking to be within a bike ride or short car ride to the beach. We were looking in ft. lauderdale / hollywood areas. Anyone know any specific apartments you or a friend that have possibly been at and could recommend, might look into home rentals also as I've seen alot on craigslist latley. We're looking around the 800-1k range. I've been reading lots of posts latly to get ideas and I'm guessing anything north of ft. lauderdale would be too old for us... And somewhere between ft. lauderdale or miami I havn't done much research on if you have any areas around there or are close to things such as wal-mart's and still only 15-20 minutes away from ft. lauderdale or miami would be good also. Living in downtown Miami or south beach would probably be too much for us. But wel'l be checking it out. Let me know your thoughts, i appreciate it any input!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 11:07 AM

8,377 posts, read 29,634,952 times
You would probably like east Hollwood, east of US1. 800-1000 a month is the going rate in that area and it's very convenient to most places.

Old 05-28-2009, 04:50 PM

3,911 posts, read 8,942,386 times
If you want nightlife within walking distance, look to live in the Las Olas area in downtown Fort Lauderdale. That is the main nightlife area of Fort Lauderdale. There are a bunch of bars, clubs, and restaurants in Riverfront that are open until 4 A.M. on weekends and the place is flooded with young people in their 20's every weekend. Keep in mind that this area will be more expensive than living in the suburbs, but in the burbs you'll be further away from nightlife. Don't worry about shopping. There is plenty of shopping no matter where you live in South Florida. It is physically impossible to live anywhere in S. FL that is not within 2 miles of a Publix, Winn-Dixie, CVS, Walgreens, McDonalds, etc. It is very built up everywhere here even in the suburbs.

Other areas to consider are east Hollywood, Hallandale Beach (on the beach), Plantation, and Davie. Also, don't rule out Pompano Beach and Lauderdale-By-The-Sea which are both located just to the north of Fort Lauderdale. A good number of young people live in those areas, and the apartments are slightly cheaper than Fort Lauderdale proper.

Another general rule of thumb: Stay to the east of US1 or on the beach, or to the west of Florida's Turnpike. Everything in between US1 and Florida's Turnpike is seedy, with a few exceptions. Central Broward County is pretty rough and there are many areas to avoid. Avoid communities such as Lauderdale Lakes, North Lauderdale, parts of Fort Lauderdale, parts of Pompano Beach, and west Hollywood.

Now, the areas I mentioned are all in Broward County in and around Fort Lauderdale. If you are interested in living in Miami-Dade County, your options will double. But I could go on and on.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:19 PM

8,377 posts, read 29,634,952 times
What's so scary about North Lauderdale?

Old 05-28-2009, 07:13 PM

Hey thanks alot for replying, yeah i think we're thinking more in the ft. lauderdale area, now its just narrowing down all the major apartments... and we can't tell on the craigslist site about how the areas near some of those apartments are like until we're down there yah know... so we'll just have to pick some major places then check out craigslist before we head down and contact them and check out the major places we're looking at. If you guys have any specific apartment complexs or a realator that knows the area well and could get in contact with i'd appreciate it. thanks again

Old 05-28-2009, 11:56 PM

3,043 posts, read 7,350,784 times
I second compelled's suggestion of downtown hollywood... don't rule it out without giving it a look

Old 05-29-2009, 07:03 AM

I'll def be checking that area out also...There are some decent places I saw online there and downtown hollywood looks like really easy access to the beaches, do you know if you can bike to the beach on those drawbridges/accesses to the water? Any one know any complexes in the area near east hollywood or ft lauderdale that are good to go with?

Old 05-29-2009, 11:30 AM

A lot of people walk their bicycles over the drawbridges because the climb and drop is pretty steep. It's a very short walk though, so not really an issue. As for complexes, I'm a fan of Radius on Young Circle. May be pricey though, but it will be safe to return to at night.

Old 05-29-2009, 12:59 PM

Yeah looks like it's around 1200 for a 1BR, too pricey for us now.. we're looking for probably a 3 month lease to start off til we find exactly what we want.. Thanks for your help!

Old 05-29-2009, 01:07 PM

You're welcome! Btw, you will have an impossible time trying to get a 3 month lease with or without the hefty premium that will come along with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Fort Lauderdale area